Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Zombie TC remake

Remember that old Zombie TC by TCHG (TC Hacking Group) from 1995 (among the first TCs for Doom). I have been thinking, maybe it would be cool if a remake was made of it (or a Zombie TC in general)? What do you think? Would anybody be intrested in re-making the levels (from scratch, but following similar real-life-location theme) for the EDGE engine?

If anybody shows interest i will supply more information.

Is that the mod based on Night of the Living Dead? If so, I always liked that one.

Honestly, trying to remake something like that is kind of ambitious. It's not impossible, but it might be better to only modernize it by touching up the graphics and making it for a more modern port such as GZDoom.

Snarboo said:

Is that the mod based on Night of the Living Dead? If so, I always liked that one.

Honestly, trying to remake something like that is kind of ambitious. It's not impossible, but it might be better to only modernize it by touching up the graphics and making it for a more modern port such as GZDoom.

Well, it was based on Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead actually. Don't know why they skipped Night (there were three original films). Yes, that TC is quite highly regarded by the hardcore doomers. An update for the mod has already been done once, by Corry Whittle (sprites, graphics and sound enhancement). I really can't see why it would be so ambitous, i can think of a lot of other ideas that would be ten times more ambitious.

I still play it.It's a great TC,I would like to participate in this once I'm done with Atherius.Are you gonna do this in Hexen Format or just regular Zdoom?

EDIT:I just read through that message again(I have a bad habit of skimming through messages)is editing through edge anything like editing with Zdoom?

Haloless0320 said:

I still play it.It's a great TC,I would like to participate in this once I'm done with Atherius.Are you gonna do this in Hexen Format or just regular Zdoom?

EDIT:I just read through that message again(I have a bad habit of skimming through messages)is editing through edge anything like editing with Zdoom?

I ain't no real level designer myself but i would imagine that making levels for EDGE is more like making levels for regular Doom. It does feature room-over-room, mirrors, slopes, glass, "functionable" water and many diffrent door types. A lot stuff can also be added customlly for use in ones level(s). I ain't gonna hold back, it is going to be quite a time-consuming project as the levels will need to have a lot of detail becuase they are supposed to be based on real-life locations. This will also require custom textures. And lots of 'em. At the very least it would probaly take a year (but it's hard to tell at this time). I'll give you som time to think about it.

Damn,a year?Are you looking to reuse the Zombie wad's sprites or make your own?Yeah,I need some time to think about this.I need to see where Atherius will lead me.

Haloless0320 said:

Damn,a year?Are you looking to reuse the Zombie wad's sprites or make your own?Yeah,I need some time to think about this.I need to see where Atherius will lead me.

I really can't say for sure how long it would take, it depends on a great deal of things. I'm just saying that it COULD take a year, maybe shorter or longer. I don't think anything from the original WAD will be used, because most of the resources are pretty bad by todays standards.

The Zombies TC was already remade by Cory. There's not much else you can do for that mod. It was made in a different era.

You'd be better off making a different kind of TC. There are like 2 or 3 Zombie mods for EDGE at the moment (including my own). Do as you wish though, if you need an arm our EDGE community would be more than willing to help if we have the time.

Editing for EDGE is nothing like editing for Zdoom. Level Designing is pretty much the same across any port, it's just the different linetypes and scripting methods that separate them.

Chu said:

The Zombies TC was already remade by Cory. There's not much else you can do for that mod. It was made in a different era.

No, not quite. He replaced the weapons and enhanced the gameplay but there were no changes made to the actual levels or sprites (other than new weapons). Personally i thought it was a poor effort coming from him. I'm talking about creating levels from scratch that are somewhat based on the ones in Zombies TC (you visit a TV studio, a mall, etc.). Whichever case it will be a mod inspired and based on George A. Romero's great films.

JohnnyRancid said:

I love zombies, I'm totally for it.

Do you mean you like the idea or that you would consider helping out on the project?

Anybody else out there?

Depends on how the Redstar Revamp will come along.I can assist in Idea's and stuff cause I've been wanting to do a Zombie survival game for rpgmkr 2000 but it's so complicated it's almost calls for an Alife type AI engine(Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. used) cause you had to eat,sleep,scavenge for supplies.Featured Day to Night transitions and everything.Unfortunately when I bought the new comp I couldn't complete the project due to compatibility issues.

CeeJay said:

Do you mean you like the idea or that you would consider helping out on the project?

Anybody else out there?

I'm actually working on something zombie-related for another game. I'll consider it, but I'm juggling a lot of stuff as it is and it is likely that I will not be very devoted to it.

JohnnyRancid said:

I'm actually working on something zombie-related for another game. I'll consider it, but I'm juggling a lot of stuff as it is and it is likely that I will not be very devoted to it.

Would you be willing to compile a texture WAD for me? I will give the specifications of what i need if you agree.