Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Partial Invisibility

Ok.
I've decided to risk another topic, but if it's an old topic (can't remember that I've seen it before) and nobody wants it here, I would kindly ask Zaldron to lock it (I don't believe that I can delete whole threads myself, as someone could abuse such an option).

Anyway, I've been speculating about the ol' 'Blur orb' (partial invisibility), and I know that it was rubbish in the old game, but what if it got translated into Doom 3 and improved?

Imagine being able to use it to confuse the enemy - some enemies won't be able to see you, when you are far enough away from them, but moving close to them will capture their attention. If you have been discovered (while wearing the effect), but moved out of sight again, the monsters will fire in the direction they last noticed you.
I originally thought of being totally 'invisible' while hiding in the shadows, but I don't know if this is technologically feasable.

And when I consider the realism that Doom 3 apparently is going to have, then I wonder whether there'll BE power-ups at all.

I originally thought of being totally 'invisible' while hiding in the shadows, but I don't know if this is technologically feasable.

Would be awesome. Though demons from hell DO see in darkness, don't they? :)

Powerups? Who knows. They're cheesy for a game like this. At least in the traditional sense of Orbs floating around for no aparent reason.

An invisibility plug for your armor that can be activated when you need it and recharged with cells you collect makes a lot more sense.

They could use that refractive effect from the GF video cards...

The way I interpret the 'power-ups' in Doom, is that they are Hellish energies and other 'disturbances' caused by the opening of the rift to Hell.

I dunno, I kinda liked the ol' concept, seemed mystical and provided stuff for your imagination.

Yeah but how do you use these orbs? Why can you handle them? They look like a trapped soul, and I'm sure as hell the Marine is no Necromancer when it comes to mastering it and turning it into energy, shield (wtf?) or invulnerability.

Yeah but how do you use these orbs? Why can you handle them? They look like a trapped soul, and I'm sure as hell the Marine is no Necromancer when it comes to mastering it and turning it into energy, shield (wtf?) or invulnerability.

- Wait, wait, wait!
You never USED them in the old game. You merely touched them. I'm just wondering why the demons can't be affected by them. Maybe the artifacts only affect humans?

Yeah but how do you use these orbs? Why can you handle them?

You just touched them. From what I read, as soon as they were touched they engulfed you (like the mirror in Matrix's Awake-scene) and covered your body, then soaked in.

Yeah but how do you use these orbs? Why can you handle them?

You just touched them. From what I read, as soon as they were touched they engulfed you (like the mirror in Matrix's Awake-scene) and covered your body, then soaked in.

- Where did you read that? It wasn't in the manual.

Probably the "novel".

I read that when it first came out.

Probably the "novel".

I read that when it first came out.

Oh, well I haven't read the novel (the mere fact that the "hero" in the "novels" was called F**** T****** and of course that the demons were referred to as "aliens" tipped me off, pfff!).

I don't know, as long as they feel as part of the world and not a powerup waiting for you then I guess it's fine. It's all about if it fits into the new game or not...

I don't know, as long as they feel as part of the world and not a powerup waiting for you then I guess it's fine. It's all about if it fits into the new game or not...

Damn straight!

The way I figure it, there are a few good, "pure" souls trapped in Hell by the invasion. These souls just kinda ball up into themselves and wait for some passing worthy hero to free them. The power-up effects are created by the souls giving themselves to aid you in the quest.

The way I figure it, there are a few good, "pure" souls trapped in Hell by the invasion. These souls just kinda ball up into themselves and wait for some passing worthy hero to free them. The power-up effects are created by the souls giving themselves to aid you in the quest.

*Me looks at invulnerability sphere

Looks pretty "mean" for a good, pure soul if you ask me.

But it's another ok way to explain some of the spheres...

*Me looks at invulnerability sphere

Looks pretty "mean" for a good, pure soul if you ask me.

But it's another ok way to explain some of the spheres...

I think the reason why the invulnerability sphere looks the way it does is probably because the soul trapped inside is angry to get out. The SS looks the way it does, IMO, because the soul is crying out for someone to come free it.
Not sure about the Blur Artifact, though :)

The Invisibility sphere is an introverted, extremely shy soul, the kind that hides in a corner at the school dance.

The Soul Sphere is the extrememly good soul who is in terrible pain with being trapped in Hell; it'll do anything to help you, even give up its own existence.

The Invulnerability is a passive-aggressive, a soul that would keep to itself mostly, but lash out at any that get too close.

The Megaspere is a dead marine with serious issues. :)

The Invisibility sphere is an introverted, extremely shy soul, the kind that hides in a corner at the school dance.

The Soul Sphere is the extrememly good soul who is in terrible pain with being trapped in Hell; it'll do anything to help you, even give up its own existence.

The Invulnerability is a passive-aggressive, a soul that would keep to itself mostly, but lash out at any that get too close.

The Megaspere is a dead marine with serious issues. :)

- Oooh, we're taking THAT direction now are we?

An invisibility plug for your armor that can be activated when you need it and recharged with cells you collect makes a lot more sense.

wouldn't that just give you invisible armor? i mean, it's not like the armor is a part of your body.

wouldn't that just give you invisible armor? i mean, it's not like the armor is a part of your body.

Well since there's NO realistic way to archieve invisibility right now you can't really tell. Let's just say that by that year they have this "Invisibility Field Generators"...

also consider the complexity of ai and if zaldron is right, SCRIPTING

imagine programming all the little nuances of how you found your friends in hide and seek... NOT EASY

If DoomIII has partial Inv., it will probably look somthing like Halo's, except better.

It can be made realistic. Some kind of shperus blobs sent to aid the demons, {sorta like giant blobs of pepto-bismul} but they have the same effect when they come into contact with you, ie:

Inv. Sphere - Sprays goo on you {heh, that rhymed} that bends light around you, making you invisible, but when you move, you can still see the basic shape of the object.

Invun- Sprays some kind of liquid metal on you that cannot be penetrated, but soon absorbs, therefore the effect wears off.

SS- Feeds you some kind of medication that cures internal and external wounds, making you feel like an all new marine.

Mega- While having the same effects as the SS, this sphere coats you with a liquid aloid, alas, upgrading your sheilds.

Mega- While having the same effects as the SS, this sphere coats you with a liquid aloid, alas, upgrading your sheilds.

Never liked the Megaspheres - kinda redundant as they just gave you the same as a soulsphere and a megaarmour.

If beserk is in the new Doom game, I'd prefer it to be a syringe rather than a black medkit, maybe in a small, translucent pack or somethin'.

They should bring back the magic mushroom from ROTT.

ROTT has no place in Doom.

We don't even know yet if DOOM3 will have a hell theme (the only scenarios demonstrated so far show high-tech base environments). But probably it will. And I believe that id will try to get away from the world, item, room, item kind of structure, probably items will be more integrated in the world.

Yeah no more blue potions on the room's corner.

I've been waiting a LONG time for a game with realistic item placement. Not even Half-Life does that right.