Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

Heretic & Hexen GPL

leileilol said:

we'll need clarification from the real James Monroe to settle the stone down next

He already emailed Quasar to let him know. It's legit.

Although I must confess that I have never fully understood the ramifications of a GPL release, I know that Quasar and others have campaigned for this long and hard. So this seems like good news.

Even though it didn't seem like they were listening, apparently Raven did. So I guess thanks are due to them and a well done is due to the people who worked at getting this to happen.

Enjay said:

Although I must confess that I have never fully understood the ramifications of a GPL release, I know that Quasar and others have campaigned for this long and hard. So this seems like good news.

Even though it didn't seem like they were listening, apparently Raven did. So I guess thanks are due to them and a well done is due to the people who worked at getting this to happen.

One of the major ramifications of this is that Eternity will be able to complete its Heretic and Hexen support much more easily, without having to recreate any more of the code from scratch, and thus leaving more time for other cool stuff to be done.

It also means that GZDoom (but not ZDoom, due to the Build code in the software renderer) could eventually become GPL, if the sound code can be replaced with a GPL-compatible library. And this could mean very interesting things for Skulltag.

This also means that an equivalent of Chocolate Doom can be created for these games so that you can play them in Windows XP / Vista with Vanilla behavior.

Any GPL port, which I believe is most of them, can now benefit from the Hexen and Heretic source code without complication.

fraggle does this mean I will be playing Chocolate Hexen/Heretic someday. Please say yes. :)

Seriously, congratulations to everyone who was involved in making this happen, most especially Quasar, whos campaigned for this very hard. It's pretty epic, I must say, and I'm excited to see what happens next.

John Smith said:

fraggle does this mean I will be playing Chocolate Hexen/Heretic someday. Please say yes. :)

He has a raven-branch atm

lupinx-Kassman said:

FreeHeretic

Didn't someone start one years ago and quit because of the license issues at the time? I wonder if any of the stuff's still around.

This is totally fresh! So this means that any GPL port can combine code over now? I wonder what kinds of cool things will come out of this. . . **

Yay, free-for-use source is now free-for-use source! Lawyers begone, productivity commence!

Chu said:

This is totally fresh! So this means that any GPL port can combine code over now? I wonder what kinds of cool things will come out of this. . . **

Yes, I suggest you read the GPL FAQ.