Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx-Kassman

What is your favorite item? (Out of Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.)

In the spirit of "Whats your favorite [x]" threads. What is your favorite item out of the Doom engine based games? (Heretic, Hexen, Strife.) I know many of the items have similar effects. In that case I guess choose the one you think looks the coolest :P.

Mine would have to be the Morph Ovum from Heretic. Using the item was a blast, especially back in the day when me and my brother would have LAN-based deathmatches. Yeah the porkulator from Hexen practically does the same thing, but I still find it more amusing to turn my opponents into chickens rather then pigs. Heh.

Yeah that was a great multiplayer item. I remember in my Heretic maps I used to put little areas only accessible as a chicken which would be loaded with every weapon and item available in the game, so when you morphed back to normal you could stock up before warping back to the map. It made for some amusing deathmatches when people thought they could get a one-up on me by using the ovum. If I made it to the hidden locations, I was pretty much guaranteed the next 10 frags :D

Best item by far for single play is the tome of power. Even the crystal wand becomes useful against hordes with that.

Wings of wrath, because I always prefer fights over switch hunts, and wings of wrath sometimes let me skip part of a level. :P On the other hand, while I didn't like to wring my hair over hard-to-find keys or switches, I really liked the power it gave me to explore and move around the level, as well as the mobility in combat..

Having gone back and checked all the possible items, I think that I have to agree with the morph ovum. It's just funny. I played a DM game with my son the other day. He'd never deathmatched in Heretic before so when I turned him into a chicken it was a new experience for him. He laughed so hard I thought I might have to call in the doctor. Yes, the porkalator does almost the same thing, but the chickens are funnier for some reason.

Heretic: Tome of Power + Hellstaff
Hexen: Disc of Repulsion

Of course, the animal artifacts have a special place in my heart. But the Tome of Power is my usual favorite.

Always the blue keys, or the closest equivalent.

I remember being very disappointed with the porkelator. I had got the impression from the manual that this was the uberweapon, and virtually the key to the whole game. Then I found it only worked on the smaller enemies and was basically just a minor (though sometimes useful) gimmick.

And I could never get the hang of the time bomb of the ancients. My suicides-to-kills ratio must have been pretty embarrassing.

One other item-related recollection: this necromancer must be the one guy in history who has lost more pairs of gloves than me.

I don't know. This guy Timon seems to have a nasty habit of misplacing his axes.

Tome of power and the hellstaff. That red acid rain was the coolest powerup.

Kyka said:

Tome of power and the hellstaff. That red acid rain was the coolest powerup.

Depending on the situation, I tend to like the Phoenix Rod flamethrower better. I mean seriously, dealing out enough damage to take down a maulotaur (cyberdemon-equivalent) with a single stream of flame costing a mere one orb? <3

But the hellstaff acid rain was best in multiplayer when you get 3 or 4 different players to cast rainspells in the same place and you get that red/blue/yellow/green downpour (if I remember the multiplayer colors correctly).

Also fun is to find a place where you can aim the powered crossbow near the surface level of a large water pool and spam it with ethereal arrows while the water splashes all over as the arrow trails drop into it. The stairs leading to the secret outdoor river in E1M3 is a great test spot for doing that.

The Morph Ovum was fun in DM. Turning someone into a chicken is hilarious. Otherwise Tome of Power, Co-Op or SP. Hexen had loads of items, some more interesting than anything Heretic had but nothing as fun IMO. Strife was much the same, except it didn't even have really interesting items, just things that were useful for their intended purpose.

Yeah yeah, the eggs! :) It's funny turning people into chickens but it's even funnier being turned into a chicken yourself =D I was running a Heretic DM ST server today actually but I wasn't paying attention to it so I have no idea whether people used it or not. I'll try it again tomorrow so look out for it if you're up for that.

Edit: Ah cool, didn't realise there was an [iddqd] one. That's more likely to have the correct version of the wad :)

any heretic weapons.

"ah ah ahah!"

I love that.

I really like the mauler. What can be sweeter than something that alternates between a super shotgun and a BFG?

The strangling gas belongs to the cleric. The mage only possesses weaker versions of Heretic's time bombs (but he doesn't seem to badly need them!).

Captain Red said:

The green stuff in the bottles. Particularly the Mages strangling gas. you can stop a horde of nasty with a narrow doorway.

As printz said, that's the Cleric's version, not the Mage's. And I agree, the gascloud flechette is probably my favorite, too.

Am I the only person that found the porkalator more fun/amusing than the morph ovum? I guess turning enemies into pigs just has a certain extra charm for me over chickens. Never did like the seal of the ovinomancer, either, my least favorite morpher of the series. Maybe because the sheep didn't keep trying to kill you the way the pigs and chickens did.

If Hexen II was included in the list, my favorite would have been Assassin's powered-up Scarab Staff. BzZZZzzz... Always cracked me up when I was playing.

As is, it has to be Heretic's tin-can gun (i.e. firemace). P-p-p-p-p-p... ding, dang, dong... I didn't like the powered-up version as much, although it was a lot more useful against fatter, slow-moving enemies (iron liches).

And finally, if we mean strictly items (not weapons), then Cleric's puppy choker (already mentioned) will have to do.

The communicator in Strife. Lots of you are saying the morph ovum, but does the morph ovum talk to you sexily? No. Not usually.

The Tome of Power is probably my favorite. It's amazing how it can make basically all of the weapons so much more effective.

Hexen has a lot of good items, but nothing stands out in my mind as being especially amazing. The Wings of Wrath are useful, and made my life a hell of a lot easier fighting the Death Wyvern. I like the porkelator and morph ovum about equally...pigs and chickens are both amusing creatures.

I haven't played Strife (yet) so I can't choose a favorite there.

Cutman said:

Blast radius from hexen. Pushing things off cliffs using that thing made me feel like darth vader.

Hah yeah, deathmatch with the disc of repulsion. Good times.

Yeah you'll find like 5 of them scattered on this DANGEROUSLY hard to reach rock with a drop below and not see them for the rest of the map.