Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alien8

All id Software games 50% off this weekend!

Just noticed that Steam's weekend deal is 50% off all id Software titles. I just picked up the id super pack for $35, which is a helluva deal - now I've finally got those Master Levels as well as the two Hexen games.

Thought those people like myself who were maybe missing a couple of Doom-engined games here and there might be interested in seeing this.

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind having legitimate copies of some of the stuff in the pack. I'm on vacation now, though, so is it possible to buy something now and download it later?

exp(x) said:

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind having legitimate copies of some of the stuff in the pack. I'm on vacation now, though, so is it possible to buy something now and download it later?

Unless Steam has changed since last I used it, you can always download it to your own computer again when you get home. Back when I used it you could sign in and download programs on any number of machines you liked, but you could only be signed in and active with one machine at a time. Granted last time I used it all of the offerings were from Valve, so I can't say whether or not it's changed since then. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

okay I'm thinking about this a bit more (particularly the Quake pack, for all the mission packs), and before I take any plunge, can anyone answer some questions?

1. I hear Steam doesn't preserve CD audio. Is this true? (if yes, it would prevent me from buying Hexen and Deathkings on steam)
2. Are the game setup files conveniently located for easy back-up onto CD-R or such? Or at least, are the game data files simply copyable?
3. Expanding on the above, I want to play my damn games on linux without issues. Will Steam interfere with this?
4. Anyone ever regret not having pressed CDs for the games?

Some of these are now not easy to find at a fair price on real media...

MikeRS said:

okay I'm thinking about this a bit more (particularly the Quake pack, for all the mission packs), and before I take any plunge, can anyone answer some questions?

1. I hear Steam doesn't preserve CD audio. Is this true? (if yes, it would prevent me from buying Hexen and Deathkings on steam)
2. Are the game setup files conveniently located for easy back-up onto CD-R or such? Or at least, are the game data files simply copyable?
3. Expanding on the above, I want to play my damn games on linux without issues. Will Steam interfere with this?
4. Anyone ever regret not having pressed CDs for the games?

Some of these are now not easy to find at a fair price on real media...

1.) The games don't include CD audio.
2.) The game files are easily copyable and backuppable (they're just the original installs with a version of DOSbox included), and you can always redownload them from Steam as long as you can login to your account.
3.) Steam is a windows-only app, but you can easily use the downloaded game files in source ports without any problems.

Trasher][ said:

3.) Steam is a windows-only app, but you can easily use the downloaded game files in source ports without any problems.

It's possible to run it under Wine without any bigger problems.

Steeveeo said:

*Ducks from incoming Enjay rant about Steam, and possibly dead celebrities while he's at it.*

MikeRS said:

bleh, steam

'nuff said.

Now, about Arthur C Clarke, Charlton Heston, Don LaFontaine, Edmund Hillary, George Carlin, Heath Ledger, Isaac Hayes, Richard Widmark, Roy Schneider, Yves Saint Laurent... ;)

John Smith said:

Unless Steam has changed since last I used it, you can always download it to your own computer again when you get home. Back when I used it you could sign in and download programs on any number of machines you liked, but you could only be signed in and active with one machine at a time. Granted last time I used it all of the offerings were from Valve, so I can't say whether or not it's changed since then. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me.

After I purchased the bundle and it came time to download, I just unchecked all but the Master Levels bundle and it only installed just that one. I'm sure you'd be able to hit Cancel at that point and not have any of the titles downloaded and installed.

It's worth noting that each INDIVIDUAL game is also 50% off, so you can at least legally have versions of some of the older stuff, and other sub packs are cheap like the heretic-hexen pack which includes heretic, hexen, hexen expansion and hexen II for $5.

MikeRS said:

bleh, steam

It's tempting, but I really would rather have physical copies of my games.

Sorry to hear you don't own a CD burner.

There's a big difference between a commercially produced CD in a nice jewel case with a professionally printed insert, maybe a manual too and possibly a nice box compared to a cheapo CDR with your own handwriting scrawled over it with indellible marker pen. :P

Bucket said:

Yep. About 30 dollars.

Good one. :)

However, I'd be prepared to pay that to get a nice, permanent, physical product rather than some nebulous file sitting on my hard drive. I've got a few games that I bought online and downloaded. To me, it's simply nowhere near as satisfying as having an actual physical copy plus all the trimmings that go with it.

The fact that I own a DVD burner makes no difference. An officially pressed and labeled disc is far different than a digital download and burning it onto my own disc... even if it's legal.

quite frankly, it will probably just make me feel guilty of not owning the real CDs... and in the case of Hexen and its expansion, regretful there's no CD Audio included (though if Steam ever emulates this, they should have the CD tracks downloaded automatically...).

Enjay said:

Good one. :)

However, I'd be prepared to pay that to get a nice, permanent, physical product rather than some nebulous file sitting on my hard drive. I've got a few games that I bought online and downloaded. To me, it's simply nowhere near as satisfying as having an actual physical copy plus all the trimmings that go with it.

Hehe, seconded. This is why I prefer to avoid buying music off something like iTunes if I can as well. (That and DRM) Plus if I buy a CD and don't like it I can always sell it back or something. Can't do that with mp3/m4a files, or downloaded video games.

At least, with these (mostly) old things resold over Steam, the games are meant to work alone. You don't need to run Steam in order to play them.

Too bad it wasn't an Raven+id superpack with Heretic II and CyClones, Shadowcaster and stuff as well, though.

Tell me I just joined the Dark Side or whatever, but I just took the plunge and bought the id Super Pack on Steam.

It's actually not that bad of a system (and hey look, there's an option to turn off automatic updates, there goes that argument)... kind of a bummer that I have to download the full Quake/Quake 2 just to get the mission packs (I already have the full games, dammit). All of it worked fairly well on Wine, with some known workarounds for installing Steam itself. It's kind of weird seeing it launch the Windows version of DOSBox via Wine, but I'll just copy over the game files to my native DOSBox's Drive C.

Kind of bummed for not having physical CDs (no CD audio on Hexen or Deathkings, so I'll probably still buy real CDs of them, unless Valve ever decides to properly preserve the tracks), but $35 for 22 games is a steal.

MikeRS said:

Kind of bummed for not having physical CDs (no CD audio on Hexen or Deathkings, so I'll probably still buy real CDs of them, unless Valve ever decides to properly preserve the tracks), but $35 for 22 games is a steal.

I wonder if that's a Valve decision, or if id and/or Raven haven't supplied the CDA tracks to the games.

could be a technical decision; they even worked around the problem in a particular famous game of their own (Half-Life) by modifying the game itself to use low-quality MP3s in place of the CD audio.

On the other hand, DOSBox has built in support for bin/cue images, so there's little development effort to support CD audio in the games they already run in DOSBox...

edit: another idea that they could probably implement, is just send over bin/cue images to the user, and instructs them to burn a disc if they want CD audio support. No emulation required, and CD-Rs are pretty cheap.

alien8 said:

I wonder if that's a Valve decision, or if id and/or Raven haven't supplied the CDA tracks to the games.

It appears to be an id decision, or at least a decision by the intern who put the packs together.

Mancubus II said:

It's worth noting that each INDIVIDUAL game is also 50% off, so you can at least legally have versions of some of the older stuff, and other sub packs are cheap like the heretic-hexen pack which includes heretic, hexen, hexen expansion and hexen II for $5.

Wow, makes me wish I had a credit card.

MikeRS said:
Tell me I just joined the Dark Side or whatever, but I just took the plunge and bought the id Super Pack on Steam.

I did too, 22 games for $35 was just too hard to resist (especially when the Canadian dollar isn't too far from the US dollar).

no CD audio on Hexen or Deathkings

Did Deathkings come with its own soundtrack, or just reuse Hexen's music? I already have Hexen on CD but its expansion pack seems to be a little more difficult to track down...

Hm. I don't have an internet connection on my personal computer, nor will I for at least a few more days, and I'm typing this on a computer which could not handle a Steam install. Awesome.

MikeRS said:

bleh, steam

It's tempting, but I really would rather have physical copies of my games.

I prefer physical copies as well. Downloads take way too long.

I'm totally with Enjay on this. I can download all the shit I could ever want, but when it comes down to it, I usually end up buying the actual product for sake of having an official physical copy. I have an impressive $1000 audio CD collection to boast about (which are all the real deal).