Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Fun with Doom Alpha (now with more conjecture!)

Since Nes has been working with finding the differences between Doom versions, I decided to try another route: Comparing subtle things in the Alphas to the Final version.

So, my first attempt at comparisons would be purely based on my experiences in playing the final versions, and try to find differences (not the major ones, mind you) in the alphas to the final.

I played the April 1993 Alpha for a good while, looking around at what was to be the Spawning vats. then I played that map in Doom. But the things I noticed were not map differences- but the way the game felt. The biggest example I can give is this:

If you play the april '93 alpha for a good while, and then switch to final, you'll immediately notice that the walking is different-- Not so much speed, but the effects of "walking" (bobbing, moving weapon, etc.)...

And In final, I felt as if I were a bird bobbing my head, waving my pistol around wildly . In the alphas, I felt as if I were actually taking steps, and the gun swayed realistically in time with the walking.

Yes, I'm saying, the alpha way of simulating ambulation was better than the final.

Take a look yourself.

So, the big question is: Why was this changed? I have some theories why.

I suppose that the effect wasn't "strong" enough and that Doom was modified to make the walking more noticeable. But, in the same time, it ruined the subtle effect of walking new FPS's now have, and that doom had.

OR, the previous effect was too real, and was tweaked to prevent motion sickness that id had heard of plaguing some gamers in Wolf 3-D.

But we'll never know for sure.

Heh, wow, you're right. It might have been something to do with the change from expecting players to walk around slowly to expecting them to run around like maniacs.

Well spotted. It does look better for the most part but the view jumping as you go up and down stairs still needed polish.

Csonicgo said:

But we'll never know for sure.

Never say never. You could try asking over at the Rome.ro forum. You might just get an answer.

I'd like to see this implemented (as a user-toggleable effect) in a modern-day sourceport like ZDoom - that'd be great. :D

I remember pondering that myself when I played the Alpha, and the reason I came up with:

esselfortium said:

It might have been something to do with the change from expecting players to walk around slowly to expecting them to run around like maniacs.

Jimmy91 said:

I'd like to see this implemented (as a user-toggleable effect) in a modern-day sourceport like ZDoom - that'd be great. :D

Doomsday has console commands to allow the user to control and fine tune the weapon and camera bobbing effects to their liking:

"view-bob-weapon X" and "view-bob-height X".

The X can be any value be any value between 0 and 1 (i.e. 0.25, 0.45 etc) with 1 being the default Doom movement and 0 being no movement at tall.

An important difference here though is that the weapon bob seems to be the other way up. In the final version the bob us a U shape with the highest points of the bob being at the sides. In the alpha it looks more like an n shape.

Enjay said:

An important difference here though is that the weapon bob seems to be the other way up. In the final version the bob us a U shape with the highest points of the bob being at the sides. In the alpha it looks more like an n shape.

I got a little confused at what you meant, I was thinking of an upper case N, heh. I'd probably rather describe it rather as ∩

MikeRS said:

Heh, I looked and looked for a symbol the right shape and couldn't find one. That's exactly what I meant. :)

Bloodshedder said:

<i>PROTIP: Press Right Shift to run.</i>

Running isn't that far off either: the "jerking" from running is there, just not polished.

In the May 1993 alpha, the algorithm is different. it's very slow, and bouncy-- but possibly a mix of the current algorithm and the one from the April and February Alphas. This is also when Carmack put in the (in)famous 35 Hz ticrate, so this could also be a factor in why it feels sluggish.

Running in the May alpha looks as if the marine is "skipping" along. not very good.

If anyone wanted to implement this in a port, I would recommend two algorithms: one for running, and one for walking. I'm not very learned in the doom source, but from simple observation, Id seemed to have come up with a happy medium between running and walking so that both would be tolerable using the same algorithm.

Csonicgo said:

If anyone wanted to implement this in a port, I would recommend two algorithms: one for running, and one for walking. I'm not very learned in the doom source, but from simple observation, Id seemed to have come up with a happy medium between running and walking so that both would be tolerable using the same algorithm.

A problem with this is that if you're using the mouse for y movement (i.e. no novert), you're not limited to just those two speeds; you can be anywhere in between them.

esselfortium said:

A problem with this is that if you're using the mouse for y movement (i.e. no novert), you're not limited to just those two speeds; you can be anywhere in between them.

in that case a specific speed could be set in which the running algorithm begins to take over. In many FPSs it seems to be a mix between the two movements; a sort of "interpolation" of the two methods.

Wow, good find. I've played the alphas for hours at a time without noticing it really, but you're definitely right about it being better.

The problem with the final version's gun movement is that it's a wide, smooth swaying motion, which doesn't evoke walking quite as much. The alpha uses a much shorter motion that slows much more abruptly as it reaches the end of each swing, which looks more like the jerky motion of walking.

On the subject of implementing features from the alphas, has anybody ever tried to use the HUD from the very first one? I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, since I think that HUD was actually pretty silly and blocked way too much of the screen.

StupidBunny said:

The problem with the final version's gun movement is that it's a wide, smooth swaying motion, which doesn't evoke walking quite as much. The alpha uses a much shorter motion that slows much more abruptly as it reaches the end of each swing, which looks more like the jerky motion of walking.

On the subject of implementing features from the alphas, has anybody ever tried to use the HUD from the very first one? I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, since I think that HUD was actually pretty silly and blocked way too much of the screen.

A while back, WildWeasel (I think? Maybe it was someone else) remade the old "helmet" HUD for ZDoom using SBARINFO. Minus the automap display, of course.

esselfortium said:

Minus the automap display, of course.

And there has been at least one experimental code modification to put the automap onscreen too.

The walking does look very good, never really noticed it with the Alphas. However, I think it only compliments the atmospheres of closed levels. The movement is very subtle as if your lurking down a hallway caustiously. It would look pretty akward walking, or I should say running, like this in an open map trying to dodge rockets and fireballs.

They probably could of kept it for the first Doom then changed the game engine for Doom 2 since most maps in the first aren't particularly huge. But yet again maybe it woulden't of been such a good idea. Meh.

Looking back to the alphas, I think the bayonet could be used for an harpoon or nailgun weapon. Or just bayonet, main attack rifle shot, secondary fire attack with the spear.

Inferno said:

The walking does look very good, never really noticed it with the Alphas. However, I think it only compliments the atmospheres of closed levels.

I'm glad you brought up "closed" levels, because,t. hey actually were. The alpha maps were in a sort of bounding box. the only way to see this now is if you take a good look at the final levels-- they seem to be able to fit into a small box, and the level rarely goes outside that box (unless the level was edited very very late in development). In some levels, you can see where the mappers tried to fit as much as they could into the box.

This is a personal opinion, and off topic, but Id really should have fleshed out E1M6 and not have condensed it so much. the circular hallway was interesting.

Wow, this is really interesting. I must agree that I like the alpha walking effect a whole lot better than the regular ole Doom walking effect. It would be neat if someone could replicate this in a port or something, I'd definitely use it in place of the original.

leileilol said:

why do people think alpha stuff stole stuff from skulltag lol?

I don't have my chronology confused. I was just surprised to suddenly discover that some of Skulltag's sprites came from alpha versions of Doom, and I'm curious about what function that item had. (I haven't played the alphas.)

Creaphis said:

I don't have my chronology confused. I was just surprised to suddenly discover that some of Skulltag's sprites came from alpha versions of Doom, and I'm curious about what function that item had. (I haven't played the alphas.)

The object does nothing. By the time pickups that actually did something were added the sprite was removed.

InsanityBringer said:
The object does nothing. By the time pickups that actually did something were added the sprite was removed.

Wasn't is for score like the treasure in Wolfenstein 3D?

If I remember correctly, the Soul Sphere was originally going to be something like a "Soul Jar" that gave an extra life. The score items were the bible, chest, dagger, and jeweled skull thing. I don't think the sprites for those were added until the beta.