Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicsofa

Experimental Level

I've been working on a one-level wad as an excersize in non-linear map design. Here's just a couple screens from the early parts:

The map is called ComeDown, and its premise is that throughout the map there are large drops that (often) cut you off from other places. It will not be possible to visit every section, unless I include some ridiculous super-secret that teleports you to the start.

Anyway, there's a question I still haven't completely answered as far as how to end the level. Initially I thought I would create a large number of ways to exit - escaping the complex any way possible. But then I thought, would that ruin the cohesiveness of a level? I am sure that there will be at least two or three ways to complete the "final battle," if it comes to that.

So what do you think - alternate paths through the level leading to one final battle (albeit with more than one method of completion), or various separate endings?

Sounds fun.Trying to implement the Deus Ex Style of gameplay?Multiple paths to complete a mission?I was thinking of doing that with Atherius.
When you need a tester lemme know.

Super-Secret teleport to the beginning, ftw! =)

By the way, I like doing UVmax runs of maps. As such, it would be preferable if all the enemies could be killed, even with a multiple route approach, IMO.

Death-Destiny said:

Super-Secret teleport to the beginning, ftw! =)

By the way, I like doing UVmax runs of maps. As such, it would be preferable if all the enemies could be killed, even with a multiple route approach, IMO.

it's easy!

kill monsters

Yeah, I realized that depending on how I do it I could violate the end-of-level tally convention. That definitely gives incentive for a way to go through all of the level in one run. I'll think about it...

I had a very similar idea to this, only using keys instead of drops. I was even thinking you could have the paths overlap each other. Say, one path goes through a canyon, the other goes around a cliff, and both paths have parts where you can look into the other.

Anyway, good work. :)

magicsofa:

Would you be intrested in mapping for the Zombie TC remake i am working on? My idea was to have non-linear levels, with much to explore and possible several endings (one bad, one not-so bad and one partly good ending). Allthough there wouldn't be many levels but each would be fairly big and non-linear (we're talking about 8-12 levels).

I also like the idea of using keys for access to side rooms that aren't necessary to visit. I'm most likely going to do that here.

I don't want to map for your remake, sorry. If I happen to start working on a mall I'll let you know :P