Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

New Metallica Stuff

Unforgiven III was utter garbage in my opinion. I had VERY high hopes for this song and it was just a total letdown. It is nothing like the other Unforgiven's. I was hoping they would share similarirites (Like 1 and 2 did) but be different in their own way. Instead I find something that just completely sucks ass through a straw. I'm very disappointed I think they could of done something MUCH better with Unforgiven III. That pretty much ruined the album for me.

VileSlay said:

at least it's better than st. anger.

That's like if you accidentally ate shit on rice because it looked like curry, and then three years later you ate some mediocre curry and remarked that it was better than the shit you had accidentally eaten three years before.

Okay, that was dumb. Sorry, I just now had curry. But my point is clear.

I've heard a lot of stuff about how the mastering is extremely loud and over-compressed, but then again, a lot of modern music is.

From what I've heard, I like. It's catchy, it's fun, and it's Metallica. Sure, it'll never live up to older releases, but nothing they will ever put out again will, so that's really just a nitpicky point at this stage in their career. The only thing that worries me is how long the album is. I know ...Justice was pretty long, but this is even longer! I hope the material legitimately fills out the length instead of boring me to death.

I may just have to pick this up on Friday. I have faith that it'll be a good record and will make me forget all about St. Shitter.

I really like the album, probably more than I should, but that's because I was expecting it to be abysmal. Unforgiven III is the only song I find boring, other than that, I'd say the rest is legitimately good music.

I've been calling Death Magnetic the link between Black and Load, which really pisses hipsterfags off, so it must be true.

Richo Rosai said:

That's like if you accidentally ate shit on rice because it looked like curry, and then three years later you ate some mediocre curry and remarked that it was better than the shit you had accidentally eaten three years before.

Okay, that was dumb. Sorry, I just now had curry. But my point is clear.

yeah. the only reason I lestened to that is because my cousin lent me his copy. curiously enought he never asked for it back? I wonder why?

the six songs I heard from the website were kinda like the old stuff, but cleaner. not bad, but not their best.

BTW, a friend of my girlfriend posted this review of the song cyanide on itunes:

Im glad theyre back
by GutsPunchBallsThrowUp

This song makes me want to take over a town by beating people to death with snakes covered in spikes, with lemon juice on the spikes. And its raining fire but the fire is put out by blood. And the snakes have eyebrows to make them look angry. Metal.

think he watched too mant brawndo commercials.

It's definitely not nearly as bad as I expected, especially after having heard the shitfest that is The Day That Never Comes. Of course, this isn't a return to their roots because as a lot of people have been saying, most of the songs have got a very Load-ish feel to them. I'd say that's mostly because of the production (the mastering is pretty horrible, even by today's standards) and Hetfield's deteriorating voice hovering in his limited barked singing register most of the time. But hey, Metallica's on the upswing. Maybe they still have a classic record in them yet.

I will say, the thing that really annoys the hell out of me is Lars' drumming. It's just straight-up horrible. Most of the time he's simply following the beat with no deviation. And just listen to some of his fills. They're mostly straight eighth notes. It's like he didn't even try. Couple that with the fact that the drums sound like shit, and it ends up detracting from the songs, and I'm not usually one criticize a song based on the drumwork. Really, he's always been the weakest part of Metallica.

Hammett's solos have improved.

Ultimately, it ends up sounding generic, due in no small part to the similarity of some of the songs and the definitely recycled tweaked riffs. Thrash ain't dead, but I doubt Metallica will be at the forefront of its resurgence.

Ever since St. Anger, they have been "Meh-tallica" in my books... and I was a hardcore Metallica fan prior to that, owning every single album.

Im glad theyre back
by GutsPunchBallsThrowUp

This song makes me want to take over a town by beating people to death with snakes covered in spikes, with lemon juice on the spikes. And its raining fire but the fire is put out by blood. And the snakes have eyebrows to make them look angry. Metal.

AHAHAHA WHAT

Great album. The first two tracks (That Was Just Your Life, End of the Line) tore my balls off.

It doesn't matter what Metallica do at this point - bashing them has become a sport. Alas. Too many will listen to it with prejudice in mind.

Anyway, a really good listen. 75 minutes that flew by as if they were 15.

alexz721 said:

I will say, the thing that really annoys the hell out of me is Lars' drumming. It's just straight-up horrible.

completely agree. it was one of the things that killed st. anger. lars is not as good as he used to be. I think they emphasise his drums more now than on previous albums and thats not a good thing.

Cool. Haven't bought the new album yet but I probably will in the next few weeks. Most of the songs I have heard are improvements on previous work.

I'm excited to hear this new one. *crosses fingers*

Well I heard a track on the radio a few days ago. It raised my eyebrow a few times, being better than I expected. Seems they haven't lost their technical touch over the last 15 years. Hetfield's voice sounded notably weak, and for a few minutes I wasn't sure if it was the new Metallica or a copycat band. I'll give the full album a try soon. Sounds like it at least has potential.

I'm going to see them December 2nd in Vancouver :D
They just played a killer set in Berlin and I'm really excited!

Extrapolating the posts I've read here to numeric ratings, so far the only opinions have been that it's 1/10 or that it's 7/10. Why can't people just settle on something.

5/10

For what Metallica was known for in the 80s, there are plenty of younger, more talented bands out there now that do a much better job than their new offerings. It's too little too late.

A side note, Lars is the most overrated drummer in the history of music.

Ed said:

A side note, Lars is the most overrated drummer in the history of music.

Amen to that. Any drummer Megadeth has had (Gar, Chuck, Nick, Jimmy and Shawn) have always been 100x the drummer Lars will ever be.

On that note, I've heard that the final drumtrack for Enter Sandman was compiled from over 50 different takes.

It's dissapointing to see all the negativity on the album. Regardless I'll check it out for myself when I get a chance. But I won't expect much... again...

Bashe said:

I've heard a lot of stuff about how the mastering is extremely loud and over-compressed, but then again, a lot of modern music is.

I guess I don't keep up with modern music much, but man the over-compression is so bad it's just... weird. It's squashed so bad you can clearly hear undesirable artifacts.

Imp said:

Unforgiven III was utter garbage in my opinion.

not utter garbage, just not that good. got a chance to listen to the whole album yesterday. very decent stuff. it tries to be like kill em all, but is not quite there. I'm satisfied with it. I give it 8/10.

Richo Rosai said:

I guess I don't keep up with modern music much, but man the over-compression is so bad it's just... weird. It's squashed so bad you can clearly hear undesirable artifacts.

Compression is as common as water in metal but that is insane!

Edit: Don't really need the image again.

Richo Rosai said:

>Insert Image Here<

Yeah, it really fucking bugs me how music is produced these days. I really hate most modern bands, and I think this is the reason. Even if a good band did come along, I wouldn't realise it because it's compressed to the point of sounding like ass.

This is actually one of my big motivations for joining the music industry. I want to make shit that actually has dynamic sound, like back in the old days.