Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
master lockwolf

Chex Quest 3 released

Making an analogy between playing old games and running ancient operating systems is hardly fair. In the former's case, only the "OMG IT MUST BE CRYSIS OR NEWER" nuts will care; in the latter, people will just think you're insane in general. Windows 9x is an atrocious system even for the time it was released, why anyone would still care to run it is just mind-blowing. Besides, the usage numbers don't really warrant the need for software to still support it (Mozilla decided that since only like 0.5% of Firefox users ran Win9x (any version), Firefox would no longer support it; I don't see many complaints).

Graf Zahl said:

Why are people like you always blaming the software that works on most other systems if there's problems? Something must cause the problems - and it must be in some way specific to your particular system. FMOD isn't doing any magic. It just uses the available low level sound APIs.

BTW, an OpenAL sound implementation is already worked on.

FMOD must be doing something else for it to fail so much. Out of curiosity, I just tried compiling ZDoom again (last tried about a year ago). Still didn't work, and hey it's a newer FMOD, but still the same old problems.

It can't even be my system configuration causing issues; new distribution, new computer, new OS install since my last try. There should be a poll for the number of people that can actually run ZDoom on Linux versus the number of people who have tried...

I had absolutely no problem compiling and running zdoom in order to play Urban Brawl on 64-bit ubuntu.

entryway said:
Does it help? (never try it myself)
http://www.msfn.org/board/KernelEx-v035-released-t71476.html

Yes it does, indeed. Thanks for reminding me of this, as I had meant to try it but hadn't found any practical reason to do so yet...

MikeRS said:
Making an analogy between playing old games and running ancient operating systems is hardly fair. In the former's case, only the "OMG IT MUST BE CRYSIS OR NEWER" nuts will care; in the latter, people will just think you're insane in general. Windows 9x is an atrocious system even for the time it was released, why anyone would still care to run it is just mind-blowing.

I run Windows 98 on this computer and I have no problems doing any tasks I really want to do on it. Sure does more than a typewriter. It beats a television set, even.

Not only that, but the DOOM games run flawlessly on it accessing an OPL-supporting ISA sound card, giving the game music with the sound I've enjoyed since the beginning. Since DOOM is my favorite computer-related hobby and I enjoy that detail, why would I want to "upgrade" this system?

Then again, I'm not a genuine technology-fearing nerd, yet I'm knowledgeable enough to get along with it without having to blindly grab whats planted before my face. So, as far as computers (and various other related items) are concerned, I generally follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I can't say I feel I've missed much that's worthwhile doing so, and I know I've avoided certain worthless things and a deal of wasted time and money.

So I was running through the third episode with my balls-to-da-walls no freelook and no jump action and I notice that in level 3, you need to jump in order to get to the blue key.

Gah.

Love the limited ammo supply, the bootspoon is an excellent fist alternative.

Nes said:

So I was running through the third episode with my balls-to-da-walls no freelook and no jump action and I notice that in level 3, you need to jump in order to get to the blue key.

I think this was fixed in a bugfix release. Try checking the Chex Quest forums. However, I'm not sure what is going on with the current release for Chex 3.

The Chex Quest 3 download has been updated quite a bit to fix bugs, unfortunately people outside of the Chex Quest fan fourms don't know about this updates because it doesn't display that on the download page it self.