Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkman 4

how do you change the movement keys in Wolf 3D?

Try moving with the mouse. It's way more accurate than the keyboard. You can't circle-strafe, but for most encounters, you won't need to.

My config is simple:

<W> - forward
<D> - backward
<Shft> - speed on
<Alt> - strafe on
<LMB> - fire
<RMB> - open
<Space> - open (for scanning long walls)

For me only uncomfortable thing in vanilla w3d controls are absence of "joyb_speed 13" analogue from doom.exe

I use a gamepad. I know it sounds silly, but it works far more than using the keyboard for me. The mouse sensitivity blows and you can't strafe and turn at the same time.

For the EXACT reasons Bashe posted, I'm currently fucking with the Wolf3D source to add the option for one-key strafing and "infinite" mouse sensitivity in Wolf. But currently, the speed only goes superfast to slightly above superfast, and the keys are permanently A and D. There is also an autorun button. <3

<nerd mode="2000" target="_offtopic">WASD is for nubs. Honestly. I can't understand how it can be so popular. You're limiting yourself that way. I'm always at RDFG, but I'm thinking of moving to YGHJ instead since it's in the middle and all my keys will be reachable there, utilizing the complete keyboard instead of just a fraction of it.</nerd>

kristus said:

<nerd mode="2000" target="_offtopic">WASD is for nubs. Honestly. I can't understand how it can be so popular. You're limiting yourself that way. I'm always at RDFG, but I'm thinking of moving to YGHJ instead since it's in the middle and all my keys will be reachable there, utilizing the complete keyboard instead of just a fraction of it.</nerd>

NERD CANNONS AT MAXIMUM POWER!!!!

WASD SUCKS
Did that thing ever make it? heh.

I know someone that plays using a USB keypad.

You could try a port. The only ones I know that allow for a Left and Right strafe key are either the fairly recent WinWolf3D or the older and OpenGL NewWolf. Other then those I guess console ports like the GBA retail or maybe a homebrew NDS version.

And just BTW, another recent port I'm keeping an eye on is stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/main.html]Wolf4SDL.

kristus said:

I'm thinking of moving to YGHJ instead since it's in the middle and all my keys will be reachable there, utilizing the complete keyboard instead of just a fraction of it.</nerd>

I've switched to YGHJ after accidentally standing up a few too many times in front of a tank in Call of Duty: United Offensive. I like that it has the nub on the J like the F and I like the simplicity of holding a button to do and releasing to stop but I found my pinkie was overworked... So I gave my thumb more to do then just jumping now on Alt, prone on Space, reload on <, check my map/score on ?, open voice comm on Ctrl, etc... To make some keys easier to reach I'll often either pop out the Win and Menu keys or remap them to something unused I can then set. If I can I always set my weapons around my movement keys anyway instead of the number keys. A and Z are chat all and team chat since I have to move my hand there to type anyway. I just need more room on my desk to move the keyboard over.

I had no problems with mouse sensitivity in Wolf3d, much less so than I had in vanilla Doom or Descent, which both are very limiting there, especially Descent, because Doom at least has a text-mode config. The mouse proved quite useful in Wolfenstein spinoffs like Blake Stone, in which better speed is required than in Wolf.

Was kristus' nerd post serious, still?

I use esdf because my W broke when I finally played HalfLife 1

But anyway, the only movement key I ever used in wolf3d was W. The mouse was for almost all movement, except when traveling down all those ridiculous corridors. I think it also makes it easier to strafe by using right mouse.

Descent was one of the best games I've ever played. Personally the series has better consistency than I think Doom does, just because I don't care for doom 3, quake 2, or quake 3 (its fun once in a while), whereas I loved descent 1-3 and freespace 1 and 2. The best part is that I played descent 1 back before I started using the mouse... woo keypad controls!

Fisk said:

For the EXACT reasons Bashe posted, I'm currently fucking with the Wolf3D source to add the option for one-key strafing and "infinite" mouse sensitivity in Wolf. But currently, the speed only goes superfast to slightly above superfast, and the keys are permanently A and D. There is also an autorun button. <3

My hero!