Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

Baron of hell, what is he made of?

why the hell do so many people at doomworld post random shit?
What is wrong with the people here?
Thank you to the people who actually tried to help.

KuriKai said:

To be fair, there are some people (I'm not necessarily one of them) who would call your thread "random shit" also. It all depends on what one considers important.

KuriKai said:

Lighten up, sheesh.

StupidBunny said:

To be fair, there are some people (I'm not necessarily one of them) who would call your thread "random shit" also. It all depends on what one considers important.

considering this thread is to get the general consensus on what the baron of hell is, so I can actually make a good model of it. It is not random shit

KuriKai said:

Come on, KuriKai. You're too tense. You need to relex a little. A few light-hearted jokes aren't going to kill you or your thread. This is just the way the forum is and not everyone is humerless, no-nonse, and all-about-business 24/7. We're just being human, which entails having fun. Doom is a pasttime, after all, and not a job. =/

[P.S.]"What is a Baron made of" sounds pretty random to me too, BTW.[/P.S.]

Death-Destiny said:

[P.S.]"What is a Baron made of" sounds pretty random to me too, BTW.[/P.S.]

Definetly does, but don't worry Kuri, anything and everything of DoomWorld is random. But yeah, a few light-hearted jokes won't destroy the very thing you started... UNLESS... Uhm... It is purely wrong, look around Post-Hell, lots of that.

KuriKai said:

considering this thread is to get the general consensus on what the baron of hell is, so I can actually make a good model of it. It is not random shit

If you think this is bad then you don't want to go to some of the popular forums at gamefaqs.com

But here, I'll give you what I think what the Baron's "consistency" is. First off I don't believe that it's skin is ripped off, it's just pink. It has a greatly built musculature so it's physical power is impressive. It's legs are typical satyr legs with the hooves and hair. The Baron probably possesses a limited form of demonic magic which let it's hands glow with that greenish aura, and can use it to hurl fireballs at enemies.

I agree with Inferno's description.

I've never thought of the baron having his skin ripped off. Although it is a cool-hellish kind of idea, it still doesn't strike me as right. Aside from anything else, without the skin, the extra cellular fluid would be oozing everywhere and the surface of his upper body would be wet. That is unless the fires of hell had seared the meat to stop that happening. Then you'd have a layer of, essentially, cooked muscle that would be inflexible actually reducing the power in his muscles.

Not to mention the lack of tactile sense should there be no skin... Ugh, the suffering (EDIT: the disability).

Yeah, let's look for realistic textbook-like explanations of how its skin would work out. Dull as hell (pun intended?).

It already has a corpse-like face, so flayed skin seems fitting. The skin textures on the walls also look lacerated and dead-like, with the brownish textures being more dried up and the pink ones fresher. Not to mention those gut-like patches and flats. Look at the spine patches. They have a tan portion (and spine) backed by open pink sections. In HELL8_3 the tan leather appears over the pinkish flesh, as if peeled off.

Maybe the Barons of hell and such grow out of the fleshly walls, after these capture hapless humans (dead or alive) near them.

In any case the nice thing about low resolution is that it's more ambiguous, letting the imagination fill in the banks.

If you make a more detailed depiction, various people will feel it doesn't fit along with what they imagined. Which also means that it doesn't matter much: just use your imagination and make it look cool.

I've always seen them as having a fur-covered lower body and bare skin on the upper half. Torn flesh would be an interesting look, but, like others have said, I don't think that was id Software's intent.

If I was ever given the task of redesigning the Barons/Knights, I'd make them more like Eliphas Levi's rendition of Baphomet: wings, breasts--the traditional sabbatic goat look. Oh yeah, and I'd give 'em huge, curly ram horns instead of the more bovine ones they sport. Basically really hammer home the whole traditional demonic thing.

MmM said:

If I was ever given the task of redesigning the Barons/Knights, I'd make them more like Eliphas Levi's rendition of Baphomet: wings, breasts--the traditional sabbatic goat look. Oh yeah, and I'd give 'em huge, curly ram horns instead of the more bovine ones they sport. Basically really hammer home the whole traditional demonic thing.

Interesting idea, but you'll never get consensus that such a change would be a good one. Personally, I like that the Doom enemies, in appearance, are half way in between being demons and being alien races. New designs that went too far in one way or the other just wouldn't be the same Doom, you know?

Creaphis said:

Interesting idea, but you'll never get consensus that such a change would be a good one. Personally, I like that the Doom enemies, in appearance, are half way in between being demons and being alien races. New designs that went too far in one way or the other just wouldn't be the same Doom, you know?

Just a comment relating to this idea, when I first saw the interpretation of Hell Knights in Doom3, I was extremely dissappointed that they looked nothing like their predecessors. However, independent of their history, the Doom 3 Hell Knights are pretty freakin' sweet, and my favorite Doom 3 enemies. From this analogy, I'd say majorly reinterpreting an enemy is not bad and can definitely produce a sweet monster, but probably just isn't what people have in mind when they look at a reinterpretation, as they will intuitively expect it to be similar to the prototype they had in their minds from past experience, and so tends to produce dissapointment by differing from their expectations.

I agree with everone saying the Barons skin isn't ripped off, but just pink!
However, I've always been wondering about the strage "ring" of overlapping flesh at the point where the skin meets the furry legs!
From certain angles it looks just like muscles, but look at the front view of the monster for example.

Death-Destiny said:

Just a comment relating to this idea, when I first saw the interpretation of Hell Knights in Doom3, I was extremely dissappointed that they looked nothing like their predecessors. However, independent of their history, the Doom 3 Hell Knights are pretty freakin' sweet, and my favorite Doom 3 enemies. From this analogy, I'd say majorly reinterpreting an enemy is not bad and can definitely produce a sweet monster, but probably just isn't what people have in mind when they look at a reinterpretation, as they will intuitively expect it to be similar to the prototype they had in their minds from past experience, and so tends to produce dissapointment by differing from their expectations.

Agreed. I'd still love to see reinterpretations, as they can always be appreciated on their own merits.

Vader said:
However, I've always been wondering about the strage "ring" of overlapping flesh at the point where the skin meets the furry legs!

Its pants are kinda loose... should wear a belt!

Baron without skin in upper part of his body - this sounds really scarry. I imagine that and cannot wait your first screenshots. What resolution you will use?
O... And the face is very important. I imagine his face exactly like in the version from marble texture.

myk said:

Its pants are kinda loose... should wear a belt!

A belt? He'd look like a wuss! A set of braces made from lightly corroded steel chain and shark hooks would fit in better with his tough guy image.

myk said:

I think you got the part about its skin being missing right. This makes it feel pain all the time and enrages it, making its hateful character even more malicious and driving it with the desire to forcefully tear other creatures up to make them pay horribly for its pain and feel it tenfold.

Works for me. It's like the Hell knight and the Baron of hell are one in the same, just that he gets super pissed when his skin gets ripped off.

Oh. I can finally understand some people's argument from examining that picture... The Baron sketch does indeed look like the muscles (and what appears to be bones in several places) are very visible. Let's take a moment to consider that the Baron is somewhat undead or a possessed corpse of some kind. Look at it's face and notice how boney and skull-like it looks. Also note the nose with the exposed nasal cavity.

I'm starting to lean towards more of a zombie-like creature rather than something that is alive with flesh ripped off. Think about the Revenant: it's dead, it's powerful, and it doesn't have much muscle or anything that would let us assume that it's alive.

Could it be a creature with similar properties to that of the Baron, but only at an advanced stage of decay?

EarthQuake said:

Oh. I can finally understand some people's argument from examining that picture...

What the hell picture are you looking at? Because in the picture linked to in the post you're responding to, the Baron quite clearly has skin. His muscles aren't exposed, they're just odd, bulgey, Rob Liefeld-y muscles.

And no, the Baron is not undead. He's a demon.

vvv Edit: If that's the case, then the Knight also has no skin, since the Knight is a palette-swapped Baron, and thus has the exact same face. Quod erat demonstrandum.

There's a much simpler explanation: He looks like that because it's cool and creepy-looking.

You can tell it's missing its skin just by looking at the face. The nose is missing, it has no lips, and there even seems to be a portion of exposed arm bone near the elbow. It's nothing surprising, given the general gory and necromantic style of the game.

We're jumping to conclusions here. This whole argument assumes that demons even have skin to rip off. Just look at that sketch. It's not stringy or fibrous enough to be muscle or smooth enough to be skin. It's much more likely that it is some sort of membrane demons grow, to protect them from their own environment or the things they hunt, or simply to hold them together, since they're basically a pile of bones and muscles otherwise.