Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Enjay

[Really dumb] Next--> how?

[n00b]
I wonder if you can help me here. I've had a search and can't find anything relating to this but it is so basic it must just be me being useless.

I downloaded Eternity 3.33.33 and got it running. However, in a few of the options/configuration menu screens there is a Next--> symbol in the bottom right corner. Problem is, I can't seem to get on to the next screen at all. I've pressed the usual arrow keys that work in PRBoom etc but no go. In fact, I've tried hitting most of the keys on my keyboard, switching caps and num lock on and off and waving the mouse around... nothing.

I take it that there actually are Next--> pages because I think that there probably should be more options than I can see on the screens (eg I couldn't see a way to configure a key to jump using the menu (I edited my config instead)).

So, how do I move on to the Next--> screen please?
[/n00b]

First of all, 3.33.33 is an extremely old version and I'd highly recommend getting a recent SVN build, or at least 3.33.50. SoM gave me a new build last night, so I updated my Eternity Starter Kit package with it, which you can download here: http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/eternity-starter-kit.zip (I should note that the documentation included in it is rather outdated now, though...)

To move between the pages of the menu, you can either use page up/page down, or press the left/right arrow keys while holding ctrl. Enough people were confused by this that it now specifies "PAGE UP" and "PAGE DOWN" by the arrows. :P

It's a problem that on Eternity's front page, the listed version is still "Paladin" (33333) or how it's called, not the "Phoenix" one (33350).

Aha! press ctrl as well as the arrow keys huh? Cunning!

Anyway, I dl'd your starter kit and have set it up so thanks for that. Funny thing is, if I'd had that already I'd have been OK, because I had assumed that if the arrow keys weren't moving the menu on, it had to be page up/down keys but they didn't do it in 3.33.33.

Thanks again. :)

printz said:

It's a problem that on Eternity's front page, the listed version is still "Paladin" (33333) or how it's called, not the "Phoenix" one (33350).

Yup, that's how I ended up with 3.33.33.

Are you referring to the Eternity webpage, or the Eternity wiki? If the wiki is wrong, somebody could fix it. As for the webpage, it has been overdue for a complete redesign for years, but nobody is really willing to help with it and I suck at web design.

Also, behold:
Eternity: quasar * r515 eternity/ (docs/editref.html source/mn_engin.c): More doc updates. Modification to menu engine to cause moving past first or last item in multi-page menus to go to the previous or next menu page respectively.

Should solve the rest of THAT problem, I hope.

I was speaking about the web page. I just checked the Wiki and it has a link to 3.33.50

The main Team Eternity page also links to 3.33.50, but it seems the engine page links to 3.33.33 - an oversight for sure. Manc has volunteered to help redesign the Eternity site, though, so hopefully it will be all spic and span for the upcoming official release ;)