Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Possible link between Jurassic Park and Wolf3d

See 2:25

The resemblance with Wolf3d is there, I just dont know if there was any "official" link between the two, other than the similar look and gameplay.

I remember this game for SNES. Oh man that was a while ago...

But yeah the FPS parts do resemble Wolfenstein because of the rooms, but that's pretty much it. The combat parts in Jurassic Park were shitty (regarding the FPS scenarios), and since the movement was incredibly choppy it SUCKED ASS.

As far as any link between the two is concerned, I woulden't be suprised if Jurrasic Park took the idea from Wolf3d for FPS parts in the game.

It's not just the rooms that resemble wolf3d, the doors seem to operate the same way (occupying one whole wall space), and the AI although almost non existant seems similar. Those yellow guys seemed to be doing the zig-zag motion I remember being revolutionary in wolf3d :)

Yeah many of those elements resemble Wolf3d. One of the more notable things were the ceiling lights that lit up the floor as part of the sprite.

jute gyte said:

Someone needs to rip these graphics!

From the Creators of Action Doom and wow.wad comes the next biggest hit in doom history: Action Doom 3: Jurassic Doom

Patrick Pineda said:

From the Creators of Action Doom and wow.wad comes the next biggest hit in doom history: Action Doom 3: Jurassic Doom

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaah!

And, it will recreate the gameplay of DINOSAUR TYCOON.

Holy shit, I remember that game. Some friends "borrowed" it from another neighbourhood kid and I don't think ever returned it. I remember thinking the 3d parts looked like ass because I had played Doom by that point and I was just thinking "man this is outdated". That and the dilophosaurs (I think) made HURR faces after spitting at you.

Patrick Pineda said:

You may be kidding, but I'd play the shit out of that!

Clubbing Raptors with leads pipes and broken glass bottles: FUCK. YES.

Come on, dinosaurs + FPS = instant win... Unless you're Trespasser... Or one of the Turok sequels... Or the Carnivores games... Okay damnnit, there's a void here that needs to be filled - we need a friggin' dinosaur-killing FPS!

I think a dinosaur doom mod is in order. Time to find a way to rip these sprites.

I remember playing this really sweet monster hunt map for UT where your team has to fight dinosaurs. Your team had to travel back in time to stop the Skaarj from changing history. To access the Skaarj base in the past, you had to travel across the landscape fighting all kinds of dinosaurs to find a bunch of relics.

That map was a blast, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. =( It may be some good inspiration for a Doom mod if anyone else here plays the original UT monster hunt mods.

geekmarine said:

Come on, dinosaurs + FPS = instant win... Unless you're Trespasser... Or one of the Turok sequels... Or the Carnivores games... Okay damnnit, there's a void here that needs to be filled - we need a friggin' dinosaur-killing FPS!

Turok was awesome. Aside from having many bugs, every single weapon kicked serious ass. Turok also had a strong sense of movement, like how the camera angle swayed into the direction you were moving in, the screen bobbing up and down gave a 'running' feeling. Turok was one of the best games that come to mind that gave that feeling. If Turok wasn't loaded with bugs it would definitely be at the top of my list of favorite games.

Bugs? I thought Turok (at least the n64 version) was very stable. Turok 2 was really great but they progressively got dumber and boring.

I forgot how awesome the music in Jurassic Park really was.

And Turok's only fault was only being an early 3D* FPS game, and not knowing the perils of putting jumping puzzles in them. That, and maybe the fog.

*Edit

I've got that JP SNES game, but I never really got very far in it--I found the gameplay to be pretty frustrating. I agree the FPS segments are very Wolfenstein-like. Personally, I preferred the Sega Genesis side-scrolling JP games to the SNES one.

I'm also a fan of Turok. Turok 2 was too ambitious for its own good--the levels go on-and-on forever, and if you get to the end without completing your objectives, you've got to go back and do it all over again. The thing crashed on my N64 many a time as well, especially with the RAM pack installed. Turok 3 and Rage Wars are a lot of fun though. I've got the PS2 Turok too, but I never finished it, got past the Pterodactyl flying segment and then got involved with another game and never went back to it.

Watching that video, not only is the Wolfenstein 3D "influence" clear, but the top down views also bear a rather uncanny resemblance to Chaos Engine.

Turok 2 for the N64 was sweet. I loved the line-up of enemies and the environments, and the weapons and combat were fun. It didn't even have that many glitches. I thought the levels were so nicely done that I didn't really mind replaying them to complete an objective so I'd get to explore them more. Turok 3 sucked. It had unplayable lag on it's own system, the N64, even with the RAM expansion pack, which is pretty much an auto fail. Turok 1 wasn't half bad either, but wasn't nearly as good as Turok 2, IMO.

I think it was turok evolution that I have somewhere for Xbox, buggy animations happen regularly, and its possible to get stuck underwater in some maps, or stuck between a tree and a cliff, the movement was pretty faulty. But at least it looked cool.

I've played the PC version of Turok that was originally for N64, i tend to remember jumping from platform to platform being pretty frustrating. I dunno if it was just hard or that it was actually not letting me land on platforms that I was directly aiming for.

leileilol said:

i hear midi maze also ripped off wolfenstein 3ds code pretty badly.

MIDI Maze predates Wolf3D.

Yeah, Turok was pretty awesome. Sadly, the second one was just annoying. I mean, running through an entire level for several hours of gameplay, then reaching the end and the game saying you can't go forward because you missed something WAY back near the beginning...what the fuck is that shit?

leileilol said:

i hear midi maze also ripped off wolfenstein 3ds code pretty badly.

The guys at id hadn't even met when it was first released.