Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zaldron

Q2 Source Released

Welcome to id Software's Finger Service V1.5!

Name: John Carmack
Email: johnc@idsoftware.com
Description: Programmer
Project:
Last Updated: 12/21/2001 19:07:50 (Central Standard Time)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 21, 2001
-----------------
The Quake 2 source code is now available for download, licensed under the GPL.

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake2.zip

As with previous source code releases, the game data remains under the
original copyright and license, and cannot be freely distributed. If you
create a true total conversion, you can give (or sell) a complete package
away, as long as you abide by the GPL source code license. If your projects
use the original Quake 2 media, the media must come from a normal, purchased
copy of the game.

I'm sure I will catch some flack about increased cheating after the source
release, but there are plenty of Q2 cheats already out there, so you are
already in the position of having to trust the other players to a degree. The
problem is really only solvable by relying on the community to police itself,
because it is a fundamentally unwinnable technical battle to make a completely
cheat proof game of this type. Play with your friends.

Great news.

/me has no fucking clue what the shit a source code does

It's the game engine, asshorn.

Hmm...

As far as I know, it allows you to screw around with a lot of aspects in the game.

The Doom source allows you to do all kinds of funny stuff like e.g. making an imp throw lost souls at the player.

But this is only something I've read somewhere, I don't mess with source codes myself, so it may not be completely correct.

This is the ENTIRE source code, literally you can extract the engine and use it for your own purposes. How lightmaps are done, how visibility's calculated, how the AI handles the monster, everything is in there.

The greater mods for Q2 still in the works will switch to new executables with improved polycounts and new features. We'll see "source ports" for Q2 that enhance the game with a lot of new shit, and who knows what else.

Hmm...

As far as I know, it allows you to screw around with a lot of aspects in the game.

Better yet, it lets you screw around with EVERYTHING in the game.

You know...someone could add Quake2's static colored lightmaps to the DooM maps. That would look awesome, with shadows and all.

The source code goes into the Compiler, which breaks the code down into its components in assembly language. Then the the assembly file goes into the Assembler, which breaks the assembly code down into zeroes and ones that the computer can understand. This new file, known as an object file, goes into the Linker, and creates that magical program known as quake2.exe . And Now You Know. :)

You know...someone could add Quake2's static colored lightmaps to the DooM maps. That would look awesome, with shadows and all.

Trouble is they're hardware-only.

Why would that suck?

GO BUY A GODDAMN 3D ACCELERATOR YOU CHEAP BASTARDS

Voodoo3s can be had for like $20US, and Kyro IIs (which will run every game out now very well given a decent CPU) can be had for about $50US.

heh. dashiva is messing around with it, putting doom 2 features (player speed, (when you do running jumps, the player does something similar to a gold medal olympics performance) ssg damage, doom2 straferunning). i'm the offical beta tester, and it's quite amusing running around doing 9 metre jumps in length.

Well yes I suppose you could try and port the point-source lighting code to a hardware doom port. That is quite a good idea. My point was that most hardware-ports already have coloured lighting, but you're right, it isn't the same thing.

The port I really think needs the Q2 source is Vavoom!

HEY JL/RETOX IF YOU READ THIS THEN WHY DON'T YOU RIP MORE CODE FROM QUAKE TWO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE COOL

(notice the decided lack of sarcasm there)

Trouble is they're hardware-only.

Yeah well, afterall you need polys for the VISing, and therefore for the RAD. GLNodes would be the only solution here anyway...

I was expecting Carmack to release the q2 source this year.... give it 2 or 3 years and we'll see the q3 source

Quake III Arena? Hmmm.. But what's that?

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/source/q3agamesource_117.exe

http://www.idsoftware.com/archives/quake3arc.html

Isn't it q3 source?

Quake III Arena? Hmmm.. But what's that?

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/source/q3agamesource_117.exe

*sigh*

There's TWO kinds of source code to these games. There's the source code to the .EXE file - that's the graphics engine, sound engine, and all the internal workings of the game. Second is the 'game source' that allows people to build new .DLLs or whatever for mods.

So all the source code (engine + game) has been released for Quake 1 & 2, but the engine source for Q3 hasn't been released yet.

*sigh*

There's TWO kinds of source code to these games. There's the source code to the .EXE file - that's the graphics engine, sound engine, and all the internal workings of the game. Second is the 'game source' that allows people to build new .DLLs or whatever for mods.

So all the source code (engine + game) has been released for Quake 1 & 2, but the engine source for Q3 hasn't been released yet.

Oh.. Sorry :).. I know that "TWO engine" stuff, but not that well to know what's the one I described :I

HEY JL/RETOX IF YOU READ THIS THEN WHY DON'T YOU RIP MORE CODE FROM QUAKE TWO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE COOL

Well, if you haven't noticed yet, Vavoom already uses a lots of Quake code - all the new software renderer is fully based on Quake sources.

And Vavoom already does have colored lighting with shadows, even in software!

BTW I have Q2 source code, but I don't know if there will be much to rip, but who knows.

vavoom uses source from the original quake. zdoom uses source from quake2. end of discussion, goddamnit.

ZDoom uses some stuff from the Q2 game source (not sure what, I saw some comments in the code once but forgot what they were) while VaVoom uses stuff from the Q1 engine source.

I tried out Vavoom yesterday. Kinda neat stuff, but why does it have to crash with a segment violation every 10 minutes? :P