Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarthQuake

Something new to listen to. [New: Hope Sustained]

I am a mapper, programmer, web designer, and graphic artist. Composing music was never really one of those things I wanted to learn how to do, but here I am, regardless of that, with three pieces of work I want to share with everyone. Anyone is free to use these or butcher them as they see fit. I would also appreciate some criticism so I can make my work in the future better.

I should also note, these are my first three midis and I have no prior musical experience at all (aside from being a listener). I used various sources as inspiration for these files, but the majority came from my own head.

Anyways...

Charlton
My first real attempt. It was supposed to turn out dark and dreary, and it did, but was not quite what I expected. Probably my least favorite of the bunch. About a minute long with seamless looping.

Shankoo
Second attempt with much better results. Less dark and dreary, more epic, and pretty simple in design like the first midi. Still, it's probably my favorite. Both the names to Shankoo and Charlton come from the game I based these off of. Again about a minute long and loops perfectly.

Here It Comes
This piece is drastically different from the other two. It's metal-based, making it much more complex and longer than my others, and I did a lot of new stuff while learning how to keep melodies in-key with each other. About two minutes long, not sure how well it loops though.

And here are the midis I've composed after the thread was opened:

There It Goes
This one is still metal-flavored, a bit more involved with the bass. Probably not as good as Here It Comes, but I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Hell Reigns Down
My favorite, hands down. Judge for yourself.

Judgement Day
This is a fast-paced one, more metal yet less complex, with stretched riffs and a quick beat. After I was done composing and listening to it for a bit, I found my foot bouncing up and down like crazy.

Imperial Army - New!
This piece I started shortly after Hell Reigns Down but put it on hold several times. I like how the beginning sounded so much, that I kept picking it back up several times over the course of the last few months, and finally wrapped it up today. It's much shorter than I would have liked it to have been, but it turned out really good nonetheless. You'll just have to listen to it to see what it's like. This is probably my second favorite, next to Hell Reigns Down Kudos to Apocalyptica, as this song is based off of a particular song by them. Internet cookies for anyone who correctly guesses which. :P

Hope Sustained - New!
This is something I've been working on for the last couple of days. I'm particularly proud of this one, as I didn't draw inspiration from anything in particular. This piece is somewhat of a cross between Imperial Army and Hell Reigns Down, only a little more uplifting. I can't really say at this point whether or not it's my new favorite, but damn if not, it comes pretty close.

I probably won't be modifying these any further, so keep that in mind if you want to comment on them or suggest anything. I am open to what you guys have to say, and I would certainly be honored if anyone found these useful.

Thanks for listening! Remember, anyone may use these for any purpose without my permission. This includes Doom projects, non-Doom projects, and the ability to modify and distribute them. All I want is credit.

The first two are really quite nice - Charlton with its strange syncopation and unpredictable pattern, and Shankoo with its melancholy style and pleasing riffs.

BUT... Here It Comes is the frickin' shit. I commend you for creating a song that fits Doom's style so perfectly and has some kickass bass and rockin' guitar riffs to boot. Awesome. :rock:

This stuff is very cool and shows a lot of promise - so would you be interested in joining us the Plutonia 2 team and composing a few pieces for the project? If you need inspiration I just uploaded a bunch of my own incomplete work to the site. :P

I think I may use 'Here it Comes' for my Map07 Clause1024 map...is that ok? I'm pretty sure it would fit it quite nicely.

Haha, wow. That's extremely flattering considering this thread went seemingly unnoticed for some time. And it's especially flattering that of all people, you'd find these songs impressive. I didn't think much more of them than just mediocre.

I am delighted about your invitation, and I'd be happy to help, but I'm extremely horrible with commitments and it took about a week per track, provided I had some good enough ideas to see each song through. Although, I'm a bit more motivated now that I know people like these midis. I think I might go the metal route and compose several more pieces (I have some really good new ideas). :)

And Mechadon: Go for it. I'm honored.

Here it comes sounds pretty good despite being kinda simple and lacking much polyphony. Probably better than what I could make. What software did you use? I have modplug tracker but it kinda sucks for midis.

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to answer gggmork's question.

I used Anvil Studio for these. It's completely free and has the much-needed piano-roll editor I needed. I had some problems with playback on my laptop, but there was an update available which fixed that, so make sure if you download it, that it is the most recent version.

Hey! You didn't show me Here It Comes! This one is easily the best out of the three you put up. Keep it up, man, you're getting better.

I'll check it out, thanks. I can't read or write conventional music notation though (in modplug the keys just play the notes, like q,w,e,r plays notes c,d,e,f respectively, and you see columns and rows rather than notation which makes much more sense to me).

Updated the original post with my new piece. I might change this one around a bit, but for the most part it's looking pretty complete.

Edit: Also started on another midi.

i think its pretty decent, definitely would work well for a doom level. i noticed it is in the same scale and similar tempo as here it comes. nice job though

this sounds awesome man.I like it. Did you write it with a keyboard? sometimes i tab out stuff on guitar for piano peices and though it sounds great sometimes i'm not even sure if it's possible to be played on piano. that's the great thing about midi imo...sick octave ranges...

metal is good for the athetics too..

keep chopin' :)

TimeOfDeath said:

Darn EQ, I'm really diggin' the first two songs. They're totally cool to the maximum. :)

Ditto to the maximum.

These fit DooM perfectly. I really like shankoo. (I love slightly melancholic music like this). It reminds me of a song called "Roads" by Portishead from their "Dummy" album. The last part of shankoo is very similar to the last part of "Roads." I strongly encourage you to listen to that song if you haven't already heard it! As well as "It's a Fire." Lot of great songs from that album in fact. In fact, thank you for reminding me how great this band is--I haven't listened to them in ages. Wish your shankoo track was longer.

Charlton is really exceptional. Very moody, fast paced but not "metal" or too noisy. A good song for inspiration is the track from TNT:Evilution on the map Wormhole. I think it's map 5. If you want to make some midis for Greenwar2 that'd be awesome. :)

I'd say the weakest of the bunch was Herecome because it's a bit generic and sounds a lot like map 7 of Doom 2. But it's still a good track. Or maybe it's more classic than generic. It actually fits DM very well. I dunno, good job tho! Looking forward to more of your tracks.

Charlton's my favorite too, and when I was listening to Here it Comes I half-expected to hear a Cyberdemon's hoof stamping around.

Earthquake--your Doom music rocks. I've been listening to it nonstop while playing doom. Fits Doom so seamlessly well. It doesn't get stale at all. You should consider a job making music for games or something. Hats off to you.

Damn, I have just been listening to the first one and this one rocks. I am sure I will use it for my maps, they are nice. :D

MAKE MORE!

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I've been pretty busy the past couple weeks with work and my horrid new sleeping schedule. I'm surprised to see so many interested in these midis. I'm glad to announce my next one is still coming along, and quite nicely too. It's gonna be one head slammer.

Hellbent said:

I'd say the weakest of the bunch was Herecome because it's a bit generic and sounds a lot like map 7 of Doom 2.

I never once noticed the similarities, but you are correct, it does sound a lot like Map07. It completely wasn't intentional. O_o

desolateheart666 said:

this sounds awesome man.I like it. Did you write it with a keyboard?

Nope. I plotted boxes on a graph using the power of my mouse.

Torn said:

MAKE MORE!

I'M TRYING. o_o"

IMHO, Here It Comes sounds rather quite nice, but for some reason it sounds like something i'd be hearing in Quake 2, rather than a game like Doom, due to it's slower pace.

Of course, that doesn't make it less cool.

All of these were pretty much intended for slower-paced, moody levels. That's the sort of level I like the most, so you can sort of see that in my music.

As an update, my next piece is almost complete. I'm really proud of this thing so far and it's my favorite, so I hope the masses enjoy it as much as I do.

Edit: Updated original post with new piece, Hell Reigns Down.

Hey, I think you should bring in yourself into a map-pack project that is going on! This would be great, because then you can bruit your soundtrack much more :-P! Very well done, keep on composing!

Nice new one, Earthquake. I like it really much, keep up the good work. :)