Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Subatomic

Hadeharia: My first map (completed)

UPDATED:
With some helpful tips and suggestions, I've now gotten to where I feel this map is completed. Each room now has its own unique texture style. I've added more lighting sources and decorations. I've put obstacles in each room as well to make the fights a bit more difficult, and it cuts back on just run-and-gunning the whole map. There's a new surprise where the Cyberdemon fight takes place as well. (Ultra-Violence difficulty only, lower settings are Former Humans/Sergeants)

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There are a few other suggestions I've taken, but those will appear in my next map--such as having upper/lower levels, staircases, panels, et cetera.

My thanks to those who replied and offered help, and to those who will play the map. I appreciate it!

Click here to download the final version of Hadeharia.

Here's some new screenshots:

Subatomic said:

For instance, how do you raise a ceiling of a room that has a door... without the door texture repeating?

Like this, just put another sector in front of the door with the appropriate height:

Hi,
your level is not bad for a first map. The only thing I don’t like in it is the colour of the walls. I would choose Brick6 for the walls and flat10(floor), ceil5_2(ceiling). But not only. Maybe you want your level more colourfull, so that every room does not look like the same. You can configure every room a bit different, with a different texture, so it looks diverse. You also can create another sector in the center of a room to make another floor that is just a little bit higher than the main floor, but has a different texture...

Good luck with your future projects!

Death-Destiny said:

Like this, just put another sector in front of the door with the appropriate height...

Excellent. Thank you!

Deeforce said:

Hi,
your level is not bad for a first map. The only thing I don’t like in it is the colour of the walls. I would choose Brick6 for the walls and flat10(floor), ceil5_2(ceiling). But not only. Maybe you want your level more colourfull, so that every room does not look like the same. You can configure every room a bit different, with a different texture, so it looks diverse. You also can create another sector in the center of a room to make another floor that is just a little bit higher than the main floor, but has a different texture...

Good luck with your future projects!

Yes, I agree. It's a little monotonous right now; the rooms are basically identical. I'll try switching around some textures and give the ones you mentioned a look.

Edit: just tried those textures and wow, what a difference they make! Excellent suggestion, I think I'll keep those. But I'll mix it up too, adding a little variety to each room.

I would suggest using more height differences and actually adding architecture like panels, stairs, lights, windows, columns, etc to each room and hallway to help overcome the flat and monotonous appearance of the map. For a first level though, this is absolutely a great start. Keep in mind that a high quality map is going to take much time and patience. Take a look at some of the stock Doom levels to further get a grasp on how things should be looking. Plutonia and TNT are excellent sources to study.

EarthQuake said:

Take a look at some of the stock Doom levels to further get a grasp on how things should be looking. Plutonia and TNT are excellent sources to study.

Can't stress this enough.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Check the original post for the download of the final version of this map. I posted some new screenshots there as well. Enjoy!