Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
StoneFrog

Easy Way To Edit Monster Sprites

I'm going to make some new enemy variations for my WAD via the DECORATE lump, and I want to know - anybody know a good program for doing quick palette swapping (for enemy recolors). Preferably one that can be automated, done via batch, or macro'd since there's so many frames for enemy sprites?

Thanks.

I'm a big photoshopper, I've used it for years and I know all about that.

HOWEVER, let's say I want to change a certain color on a Cacodemon. I'm not going to run every single sprite through photoshop, that'd be painful, even if I do something like save the modified palette and apply it each time. Carpal tunnels...

XWE.

When you remap colors, it "saves" the information you enter, so that you only have to edit one frame and apply the same table to all sprites. Make sure you start with a frame that has all the colors you want to translate though.

You will probabaly need to look at doompal.png for reference.

Wait, if you're using ZDoom, you can just create multiple monsters that use the same sprites, and use ACS to create color translation tables and apply them to those monsters. It will drastically cut down on the amount of number of sprites you will need.

I think RecolorBMP is worth a mention. It was originally created with Wolfenstein in mind, but it is a nice tool for quickly recoloring groups of sprites (When I make sprites, I usually have all of the frames as separate BMPs in a folder, then I could simply highlight them all and apply a saved pallete.) The recolors are also always safe with the doom pallete.

Of course if your using Zdoom, and just recoloring the original monsters, it would be best to do as EarthQuake said :P.