Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Doom 1 Wads with new intermissions?

I had not yet played any Doom 1 wad with a new intermission image. Did anyone ever make a wad where they took the time to draw out a new crater and draw new buildings with the flashing lights and stuff? Even just a recolor would be interesting.

I never really noticed that, but it's true...very few Doom WADs replace the intermission screen. The main reason I could see for this is because most people are not going to replace the intermission screen when they only do a couple of levels, and since there are far more megawads for Doom II than Doom (in fact, more levels in general for Doom II) they're probably going to be inherently rare.

It's too bad, because I always liked the intermission screens for Doom.

5th-project-of-doom did that, but I don't think it was ever finished or formally released.

Probably others - I'll post again if I remember some.

I've seen a few wads that do this, although they are never quite as elegant as the original intermission screen. The most recent example I can think of is the Chex Quest 3 intermission screens (if they indeed use the same method and not something ZDoom-specific).

There's a couple of early 1994 levels, "invade1.wad" and "invade2.wad" that have a new intermission. They were supposed to part of a nine level episode, but the rest never got made; it's rather disappointing, because for old levels they were actually pretty cool.

EarthQuake said:

I've seen a few wads that do this, although they are never quite as elegant as the original intermission screen. The most recent example I can think of is the Chex Quest 3 intermission screens (if they indeed use the same method and not something ZDoom-specific).

It uses something ZDoom specific (which is just a generalization of the Doom 1 code though.)

Doom Must Fall 2097 (the full episode replacement version, not the e2m8 solo) replaced these. In fact, each level had its own fullscreen image. And considering the style the whole mod was done, it was done very well.

original chex qest did it too though. and my old TC hyena did. Though I on,y did one anim with it, and it was very sloppy.

kristus said:

maybe ... Aliens TC (origional Doom1 version) got it.

No, it doesn't. (I also thought it might, but was disappointed when I checked it.)

The way it's hardcoded in the engine leaves little place for customization. ZDoom generalized it enough to recreate the Doom and Heretic intermission screens, freeing the potential for use with mods, but there aren't that many which have used it. I know of two, one which simply gives an intermap for Thy Flesh Consumed (though you have to fix a bad offset or one of the animated buildings will dance from left to right) and Xaser's "Lost Episode" which is intended as episode 5 (still not officially released as far as I know as some parts of it are unfinished).

Deeforce said:

Noone mentions “Knee Deep in ZDoom”, but here it is :-P :

Because it's not the same thing.

Caution: not all Doom 1 wads with new intermissions use the intermap graphics completely. In most cases the WIMAP* is made to look like a static Doom2-style intermission screen, with all animation nulled. Examples: 2002ado, Cleimos.

Gez said:

The way it's hardcoded in the engine leaves little place for customization.

If it's anything like flats and texture anims, it should be quite possible to add additional frames to the animations

As I said, those are not maps, but only static screens. There's a huge difference. Everyone can put a static screen taken from any place. But the maps have to be created specially for replacing that WIMAP.

kristus said:
If it's anything like flats and texture anims, it should be quite possible to add additional frames to the animations

They're not as customizable as textures, but the graphics can be resized or moved though offsets and adding empty space, so at least the animated portions could be customized pretty well. The locations of the levels need to be roughly in the same places, of course, if the arrow and blood spats are going to be used or replaced. I think any good artist should be able to build solid replacements for the intermission maps.

I wasn't talking about that. The map markers aren't interesting to me, since I wouldn't really care to do the same thing id did. Though with a bit of creativity, you could use them for something special too. But I don't really think I'd ever have a reason to do it.

I'm only interested in the animations. They can natively be placed just about anywhere you want on the screen. They are resizable to your prefered animation size. Not sure if they can be all up to 320x200 though. Seem to recall this giving problems. But it was over 10 years ago since I worked them and my understanding of the Doom engine back then was limited to say the least.

But if their animation is like the other hard coded animations in the game, such as flats or patches. (which was what I was addressing in the last post) Then it should be possible to add animation frames to those and create quite vivid animations.

And Episode 2 is extra interesting, since they got a progressive build going on in there.(tower of babel) So you can change things for each map you progress through. In Codename HYENA, I planned to use this for the char in the shots to blow up different parts of a city scape for each map. But I got really lazy somewhere along the line.

kristus said:
But if their animation is like the other hard coded animations in the game, such as flats or patches. (which was what I was addressing in the last post) Then it should be possible to add animation frames to those and create quite vivid animations.

I think they aren't like those in this sense: each animation is hard-coded, like in the status bar. With flats and textures only the first an last are defined by the engine, if I am not mistaken, so you can change the number of animations for each entry.

There is a school-themed WAD that uses 320x200 animations in the final DOOM screen, replacing the "the end" graphics with full-screen pictures, so I think it may be possible to use graphics of that size, as long as one understands what offset is required. If a graphic goes off the screen the game will terminate (like when you have a very high mouse sensitivity).

GreyGhost said:

Dare I mention this wad? Has an animated intermission screen for Episode 1.

Why "dare" you mention it? It's a great wad with an awesome intermission screen. I think all the negative hype it receives is undeserved.

kristus: what you're describing may be interesting for mapmakers, but ports become more and more able to emulate it. Also, the whole intermission is quite short, anyway; it won't really influence the game play.