Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Max Payne: The Movie

I loved Max Payne. I'll go see it, but I don't have any good expectations, game to film adaptations just never turn out well

All this film has to be is sweet slow motion gunfights for 2 hours. It could be quite fun.

Mind you, all the Hitman movie had to be was cool assassinations for 2 hours, but they monged that up :(

I loved the Max Payne games, so I want to see this movie because I'm a fan of the games more then anything. It does look like an interesting adaptation of the games.

I thought Max Payne was better suited for a movie than a video game anyway, I expect it to be pretty sweet. The later scenes in the trailer looked pretty sick too.

It looks like it's more based on the first game rather than the second...

...so why the hell is there a female sidekick? And why the hell are there supernatural beings/angels/whatever-they-are? Other than that it looks rather faithful, but on the other hand the whole idea behind Payne's character is a lone guy set to revenge his dead family, no hot chicks involved (save for the dead wife).

I think those creatures are hallucinations. I'm sure you are aware of the numerous 'nightmare' styled levels concerning the murder of his wife, those are the results of the drugs he's been taking.

Bank said:

Umm Mona Sax?

Like I said, it would seem the movie is based on the first game, not second. Mona is in the second.

JohnnyRancid said:

I think those creatures are hallucinations. I'm sure you are aware of the numerous 'nightmare' styled levels concerning the murder of his wife, those are the results of the drugs he's been taking.

Well it's not as obvious in the trailer, but the official synopsis on the movie's website says that "As the mystery deepens, Max is forced to battle enemies beyond the natural world..."

Jodwin said:
Well it's not as obvious in the trailer, but the official synopsis on the movie's website says that "As the mystery deepens, Max is forced to battle enemies beyond the natural world..."

What the FUCK? They better be metaphorical 'enemies beyond the natural world'

Jodwin said:

Like I said, it would seem the movie is based on the first game, not second. Mona is in the second.

No she's definitely in the first, right after you kill Jack Lupino...annnnnnnd at the Aesir building.

And the angels and demons and stuff are obviously his nightmares/drug trips.

Bank said:

No she's definitely in the first, right after you kill Jack Lupino...annnnnnnd at the Aesir building.

But at least she's not a hot female sidekick until the second.

It looks kinda like Constantine but with guns and explosions. I think I'll see it just because it looks cool. I don't even know anything about the games :P

It seems faithful to the game in that he looks quite pissed off and possibly a bit constipated.

Bank said:

And the angels and demons and stuff are obviously his nightmares/drug trips.

They're the angels and demons that were ordered for the Doom movie, but didn't show up.

Just remember that if they did not put any hot chicks in movies, no one would go see them :P

It does look pretty cool though.

Perhaps there will be a research facility and mutants.

It looks a lot like the original to me. I played the game a long time ago and hardly remember the storyline very well, but I looked up the plot on Wikipedia and it doesn't seem a whole lot different than trailer looks.

Jodwin said:

That can mean anything from mental demons to drug enduced halucinations to something that has really nothing to do with Max Payne.
Remember how the synopsis for the Doom movie involved the sentence something like "Opens a portal into Hell."

The winged creature can just as well be a representation of a Valkyrie though, and if he's jacked up on the drug Valkyr, then it's reasonable enough explanation that he gets some Valkyrie in his drug halucinations.

I want to reserve judgement on this movie until when I've seen it. It's looking promising IMO, like they're actually taking the source material serious.

meh. doesn't really do anything for me. never played the games so there really is no referance points for me. looks like a generic action movie with spooky elements.

I really enjoy the Max Payne series, but it always seemed like it would work better as a movie. The gameplay itself doesn't really flow well, but it's very gritty and cinematic. I just hope the Valkyrie in the trailer are simply a schizophrenic hallucination, not a physical character in the movie. The movie will work a hell of a lot better if it's just the story of a man who's family was killed by druggies trying to avenge their deaths and clean up the city, and goes slowly insane along the way. I'll probably see it no matter what they do to it though, since I really like the series. Although I saw Hitman for the same reason, and was really dissapointed. I still have a bit of hope though, since Hitman is better on the actual gameplay and the story and atmopshere takes a back seat, and Max Payne's story and atmosphere is better than the gameplay itself.