Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peoplethought

Space Above and Below

I'm trying to create maps that are floating in space. All of the sectors the player can stand on are 3D floors. I want it so that in the player looks over the edge he can see a planet and stars floating beneath him. With the regular skys, the sky flat seems to be wrapped around the bottom, and fills in the bottom with a solid color. The same is true for looking up. How could I make it look as if the player were in space surrounded by stars and planets?

If its for GZDoom, you can define custom Skyboxes for just such an occasion, and I'm pretty sure some other 3D floor supporting ports also support skybox definitions (Risen3D?).

Skyboxes where you build the room on the map? Wouldn't this make the space look stretched at the tops and the bottoms? I can't have the floor and ceiling stretched out to look like it has perspective, it's supposed to be space.

peoplethought said:

Skyboxes where you build the room on the map? Wouldn't this make the space look stretched at the tops and the bottoms? I can't have the floor and ceiling stretched out to look like it has perspective, it's supposed to be space.

Steeveeo is quite correct about the GLDEFS thing, but it is worth pointing out that GZDoom does support two types of "skybox". Type 1 is inherited from Zdoom. That's the one you were thinking about. You build an area in your map that you want to appear as the sky, place a skybox camera in it and then the view from that camera gets used as the sky.

The ones that Steeveeo refered to are the kind that you might find in more modern games. They are made from (typically) 6 graphics that fit together to form the inner faces of a virtual cube with a view-point right in the middle. These are defined in GLDEFS and can make for some very pretty all-around-up-and-down skies. Tormentor used one to good effect in Sapphire and there have been quite a few other wads (including some by myself) which have also used them. You can find the specifics on how to use them over at the GZdoom forum on DRD in the documentation thread.