Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Texas Libra

Knight Rider

So, is anybody interested in watching this sequel series?

I remember watching reruns of the original show back just before I started elementary school (the series was canceled just before I turned 2), and while the show wasn't quite as serious as I remembered it as a kid I was still enthralled by K.I.T.T. To a 5-year-old few things are as neat as a talking car that can do amazing things such as break through brick walls, turbo boost over chasms nearly 100 feet wide, transform into a "Super Pursuit Mode" that resembles something out of the year 3000, and even drive on water at times. Even the voice was perfect for the car.

Mind you, I was never interested in the show because of David Hasselhoff, he can go to Hell for all I care (/me awaits the onslaught of "Don't hassle the Hoff" comments). What I thought was kick-ass was the fucking car. Speaking of which, did anybody who watched the show remember K.A.R.R., the evil prototype of K.I.T.T. voiced by Peter Cullen AKA Optimus Prime?

How I all of a sudden got back into this amazing 80s show is not so long a story. The night I took my friend to see Cloverfield (which I thankfully didn't spend a penny on), he for some reason started talking about the Knight Rider 2000 movie just before the trailers started. BTW, that movie was filmed in my hometown. After having to sit through that snooze-fest of an alien flick we went back to his house and watched Knight Rider 2000 just for the fuck of it. Despite how corny the movie was (it was a direct video movie AFAIK), it was still "better than Cloverfield" if you know what I mean. The whole reason he got back into the show was the same nostalgia that I experienced and also the news of the new series pilot that aired back in February, which I hadn't heard about at all. Shows you how much TV I watched before then. I couldn't help but to wait until that night the pilot aired and DVR it in the hope it would actually spawn into a new series. As one of my former co-workers put if you get past the fact that it was just one big Ford commercial it was OK.

Naturally this got a bug up my ass to start watching all of the original series so I could catch up to when the new show premiered. Let me tell you it took a lot of time and a bit of money out of my wallet to find all the DVD sets at the right price. I just finished watching the entire series 3 days ago, watched Knight Rider 2000 again the night after even though it's not "canon", and then watched the 2008 pilot again last night. I'll have to watch a DVR-ed version of the series premiere tonight since I don't get off work until 8pm and don't get home until 9pm, and the show starts at 7pm central time where I live. I have some high hopes for this show, what about you guys and gals?

Don't hassle the Hoff. :P

Seriously, it was a cool series and had great theme music too. I thought the Hoff fitted in to it pretty well. There was something about his cheesyness that worked I thought. As for the new version... I'll wait and see I guess.

I remember in high school a kid would call me "Michael Knight" sometimes, if only because I spoke English well and because of my name. But I can't say I'm into it* or that any remakes would mean squat to me; I just watched it occasionally during the '80s.

* I don't like the general idea of TV series, to be honest. Their serialization shows more than in the obvious way, and one chapter usually says all there is to say about one. It's like being subscribed to something or having a regular job.

Don't remake my memories.

The knight rider is something it should be left where it is. Re runs are great, but trying to reboot the series... nope.

A car that talks was the coolest thing back then. Now my grandma's car does that, and it even tells her when to turn.
It's like trying to bring back McGyver after youtube, wikipedia and videojug.com

Just leave them there, Lou Ferrigno, K.I.T.T., Rocky Balboa, Rambo, He-man... The 70's and 80's should just stay there. Be a good memory. Like that thong I once kept from my bitchy ex. A good memory that shouldn't be brought back.

Unfortunately that's the way the entertainment industry works - when they're short on inspiration and fresh new material they'll recycle something that worked before and pray it still works.

Alboroto said:

Don't remake my memories.

yeah, well thats what movies are all about now. the day the earth stood still and the wolfman are being rmade. friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street are being worked on. hellraiser. suspiria. I read that johnny depp is gonna be the lone ranger. and what is p with the movies that become musicals and then movies based off the musicals? FUCK!!!! it's just sad. original ideas are dying out like polar bears on melting glaciers.

VileSlay said:

I read that johnny depp is gonna be the lone ranger.

I read in my local paper that he will be Tonto, not the Lone Ranger. Quite how a Lone Ranger can have a partner I never quite figured out. Anyway, my local paper has a habit of being wrong so meh.

But yeah, "Hollywood" has always rehashed ideas but in recent years it has gotten to the point of utter ridiculousness with hardly an original piece of work coming out at all. I guess it's all down to the mindless nature of your average human. Feed them something familiar that they already know about and they'll hand over cash in their millions to experience a rehashed, luke-warm, cash-cow version of it.

Enjay said:
I read in my local paper that he will be Tonto, not the Lone Ranger. Quite how a Lone Ranger can have a partner I never quite figured out. Anyway, my local paper has a habit of being wrong so meh.

He's just the only Ranger. Tonto is a sillier name anyhow, as it means "fool" in Spanish.