Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

DOOM: The Gathering

I can't say anything about trading card games because I don't know anything about them, but I will say that I really like all the art on the cards. Good to see you keep the old stuff around, I can't really make the same claim heh.

I love MtG and I love Doom, so I would be a sucker for something like this. Although, the art and concepts goes very well with each of the cards, some of the mechanics stray significantly from Magic, like Tower of Babel coming into play as a wall or land (how would the stack work if you chose it to be a land? Lands can't be countered and they aren't spells which mean they can't have a mana cost).

While this isn't such a bad idea, it seems more thought needs to be put into making something like this. I know, the guy was probably pretty young and didn't understand some of the finer details of the game, but at least it was a fun idea. :)

If anyone does plan to remake this, get a hold of me! I would certainly be interested in coming up with card ideas and balancing the cards.

Now im no expert on MtG as far as the rules go, you did an excellent job! The artwork goes great with each card too. 10/10.

Thanks for the comments--glad people got some enjoyment out of this old artifact (scanning all of the cards was a pain, even though I was doing them 9 at a time).

Earthquake: Yeah, I didn't really understand all of the intricacies of MTG when I made these (something my brother kept informing me of as well, which I chose to ignore in my arrogance). If I were to do this over again, I'd definitely be changing a lot of things.

I also made a complete Castlevania MTG deck (based on the first two Game Boy games), and I started Quake and Hexen ones as well, amongst others, but I never finished those.

Impie: I don't have any plans to remake/refine it. The last time I made cards of any kind was when I made myself a Final Fantasy 8 Triple Triad deck. I'm more into Yu-Gi-Oh! and Duel Masters than MTG these days, so, if I did make another DOOM card deck, it'd probably be based on one of those two systems, rather than MTG.

Whoa!! I saw these the other day but didn't have time to post a comment.
now I don't play Magic or other card games, but I wouln't mind playing this one for shitz and giggles.

I like the Sagent commanding his army of green haired privates and the backback is funny as hell, I would only have added doom weapons and the computer automap sticking out, rather then the shovel and teddy bear. no wait he might need that teddy when hiding from cacodemons :)

now I wanna see the quake ones :D

The Quake deck isn't anywhere near complete (some of the art is colored, some is black and white, and I only completed a few cards). One of these days I might dig 'em up and scan them. I remember I made a 'Rocket Jump' card for that one: Target creature gains flying, bury the creature at the end of the turn (kaboom!).

Yeah, it's not too hard to do if you just take an existing card and edit it in Photoshop or whatever (I didn't even own a computer when I made mine). I'd say that Cacodemon card is slightly overpowered, given its ability to cause direct damage on tops of its flying ability, considering the casting cost is only four mana. It would be kind of a fun Doomworld project for everybody to work on.

I'd like to see id Software make an official card game like this. I imagine the development cycle would be pretty short, as you don't need a whole lot on the graphical end of things. They could combine the Quake, DOOM, Wolfenstein, etc. franchises into it. I know I'd buy it.

Honestly, the caption text for the Cacodemon should totally be "Sweet Christmas! Big-Mouthed Floating Thingies! It's always something!"

I used a program called Magic Set Editor 2. If you download the correct fonts and get some nice artwork for each card, you can create images that look exactly like real cards, with no hassle really. The only problem is printing them on high quality paper and all that ink you'll use. 9_9

This card in particular was an Uncommon, and I compared it to several similar real cards. I tried give it an ability that would identify it as a cacodemon, but keep it balanced towards existing cards. The only reason it's overpowered is because it's a red card, and red creatures normally do not have flying (but again, I was trying to keep it's Doom nature. Assuming you create a deck that is not intermixed with normal Magic cards, you could probably get away from such guidelines)

Never heard of that Magic Set Editor, but I imagine a dedicated program like that is leagues better than using Photoshop.

Yeah, the tendency for certain colors to have particular abilities/attributes that other colors lack, or have rarely, is one of the hang-ups I experienced with designing my DOOM deck, in terms of fairness. My younger brother would repeatedly b*tch at me that it was my "Christmas Deck", 'cuz I was putting everything, and anything, I wanted in it, regardless of it being a monochrome deck. I thought I knew better at the time, but, in retrospect, he was right. My only real reason for having an all red deck was that DOOM was in Hell and I was adamant that Hell should be all red. The cards should have been spread out across at least two colors (of course, I used to "cheat" with that too on rainbow decks I made, making special lands that gave me any color I wanted).

Heh, I'm still toying around with this idea. Here is a set of legendary lands. They are pretty on par to something similar to a Mutavault, except you can only have one each per deck because they are legendary. Also, they force you to sacrifice a land as they come into play to balance things out a bit. The Hell subtype will most likely interact with other cards in the deck and the basic mountains and swamps all have the subtype Hell (they are "Hell Mountains" and "Hell Swamps" for lack of a better name).

While at first glance these might seem pretty overpowered, you have to realize that many decks you'll play against are fine-tuned and have many great combos. I think the basic style with this deck would creature-based except with some burn and return as well.

Heh. This project could be a lot of fun. I like to design Magic cards as a hobby (with MSE2... great program). Magic + Doom = :D

Cybs need to be badass! (Overpowered probably, but gets the point across [Edit]nvm, fixed; see my next post[/Edit]):

Anyway, it would probably be best to keep the cards spread as much as possible between colors. I've found that that's the one thing about Magic that keeps it balanced, as opposed to other TCGs where you can just load up and use all the badass-est cards with no limitations. Just a side note, I agree the Caco is overpowered; I can't recall any cards that are removal/burn + flying all for 4 mana, and it would be rare at the very least, That could be decided later, though. I've found the best way to make sets is to just make as many cards as you can dream up and balance them against each other at the end (green doesn't have enough huge monsters... give this one +2/+2... or black's creatures are easy to kill, give this regeneration... and similar observations.)

Gez said:

Honestly, the caption text for the Cacodemon should totally be "Sweet Christmas! Big-Mouthed Floating Thingies! It's always something!"

Agreed. The first thing I thought when seeing the cards was that ALL of the flavour text should be comic quotes.

Earthquake, is that original art by you? If so, nice.
Edit: nvm, I just noticed the artist credits.

I'm not much of an artist when it comes to depictions of things. All the images I used were from real paintings, except for the cacodemon one which was done by some woman we've never heard of.

Regarding the Cyberdemon, you could give it a massive mana cost (16+) and affinity for Demons or Hell (playing on my Hell subtype). That would make it useful for only later in the game. That and/or you could base it's power and/or toughness on the number of Demons in play and have it able to ping creatures or players using it's power. Most powerful cards should always have some sort of drawback, whether it be a directly negative thing (like sacrificing stuff) or have it's strengths not practical until later in the game. 8 damage divided any way you choose is definitely overpowered. That's enough to kill 8 creatures with no disadvantage. Also, artifact creatures are no longer required to be colorless.

EarthQuake said:

Most powerful cards should always have some sort of drawback, whether it be a directly negative thing (like sacrificing stuff) or have it's strengths not practical until later in the game.

For the cyberdemon, what about sacrificing four barons of hell? A reference to the SP_DUDE6 texturing inside the Tower of Babel.

Good reference, but I've never seen that mechanic used before in Magic, that is, sacrificing creatures according to their card name. Also, since you could only have four Barons of Hell in the entire deck, it would be extremely unlikely you'd ever be able to pull out the Cyberdemon. Think about if your opponent knew the mechanics of your deck ahead of time, they'd be doing their best to destroy your Barons of Hell.

I do like the idea though...

Here is my take on the Cyberdemon, it's simple, yet highly effective later in the game. No special abilities or anything:

If you have no demons on the board, it costs 8/8 and is effectively a 1/1 creature. If you have 5 demons on the board, it costs 3 mana and is a 6/6. More demons in play result in a larger beast, but don't cut the mana to lower than 3. I think it's a nice concept, although it doesn't coincide much with the classic cyberdemon. Whaddaya think?

I like that Cyb design, though I agree that it doesn't seem very Cyb-like. A 1/1 Cyb isn't very appealling. The aesthetic side of the card would probably be better off like a Lost Soul Swarm or something (more demons around = bigger swarm.)

I think this is all that needs to be done with The original Cyb. An 8/8 Indestructible creature is already pretty powerful. The affinity idea was really nice too.

I don't really like the idea of colored artifacts since that pretty much defeats the purpose of being artifacts, IMO (i.e. any color can use it.) How many colored artifacts have there been, BTW. Didn't WOTC only do that once in that set they made to defy as many of their own rules as they could (Like land creatures with creature types and no summoning sickness, spells with no mana costs, "colorless" spells that cost colored mana, kicker costs that aren't mana, and so on and so forth.)

I'm bringing back the Baron sacrifice because I like it.

"Infernal ritual (this spell costs (2) less to play if you sacrifice a Hell Noble creature; if you do put a +2/+2 marker on the Cyberdemon for each Hell Noble thus sacrificed)"
"Summoning (remove a +2/+2 marker from the Cyberdemon, put in play four Lost Soul tokens which count as 1/1 Undead creatures with flight)"

Those cards look really good. I would definitely like to help with this but I know nothing of the game so I don't think I would be able to do too much.

MmM said:

Thanks for the comments--glad people got some enjoyment out of this old artifact (scanning all of the cards was a pain, even though I was doing them 9 at a time).

I like your cards, they're awesome. I want to see more of the hell land cards! I used to play Magic in high school but wasn't persistent or good at it.

I was sort of thinking about two different decks. One where the player would play as the good guys (Blue and White), and the other deck as the bad guys (Black and Red).

Death-Destiny: I agree with your opinion about Artifacts, turning them into colored cards defeats the original design of the cards. So I decided to modify the Cyberdemon design a bit. Since the Hell deck is black and red, I decided to enable either color to pay for it's cost. Also, my main reason for making it colored, is that you will always have to pay for it, even with the affinity. Affinity only reduces the cost by one colorless mana for each permanent you control. I also added the indestructible bit to make it not quite so useless if you don't control many demons.

You can see the updated image above.

Also, for the Marines deck, I did this:

I would like to incorporate some sort of damage into the equation, but I also wanted the card to be pretty straightforward.

You know, if people were serious about making a Doom CCG, it would be better to make it its own thing. Rather than the five mana colors, you could have something like undead, demon, tech-demon, marine, scientist. Well, that's five too I guess. The reason I separated demon from tech-demon is to be found in the Doom Bible.

Wow, everybody is coming up with some pretty cool card/gameplay ideas!

I agree that having colored artifacts defeats the intended purpose of artifacts.

Here's an idea I had for an Icon of Sin/John Romero's Head combo that would work something like this:

Icon of Sin

cast: 8 mana

Artifact Creature

(John Romero's Head MUST be in play to summon this card)

pay 2 life, tap: Search your deck for any creature card, and then place that card immediately into play, regardless of casting cost. Said creature does not suffer from summoning sickness.

0/10

John Romero's Head

cast: one red mana

Summon Legend

If John Romero's Head is sent to the Graveyard, bury Icon of Sin.

0/1

John's head is more of an easter egg than something actually "canon" IMO.