Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

GZDoom Project: Skybox Pack

Hey all, ever since I finished the custom Skybox in Vue 6 (look it up, nice program) for my Storm Demo, I thought that the skybox looked good enough for release itself.

So then an idea popped up, why not make a nice selection of these?

And so I did.

Once I have more than one, I'll add a Complete Pack link at the bottom of the list.

Quick note: I know I started the Lake type skybox numbering at 4, but thats just because of some unreleasable tests that I have, and I dont feel like rearranging everything when this works just fine.

Installation instructions are in the READMEs inside the Zips.

So without further ado, here's the list!

FULL PACK:

DISCLAIMER: These skyboxes are usable in any GZDoom wad, as long as proper credit is given, of course.

Dont forget, I am also taking requests! Up to 3 at a time.

One last note before the requests list, these things take a bit of time depending on how complex these are, so expect a new one every 1-3 days, depending on my schedule.

REQUESTS LIST:

- Slot 1 -

peoplethought said:

I need a space skybox. Just need stars all over the place and also a planet floated below on the bottom.

- Slot 2 -

- Slot 3 -

KingofFlames said:

Could you do an underwater skybox?

Sure, why not, as soon as I regain feeling in my arms (I just HAD to play Rock Band 2, on drums, on Hard, for a 7 song streak...).

Just need some specifics:

- How far underwater (like is the surface visible)?
- How much ambient light is there?
- What type of underwater terrain (ie, underwater mountains, tropical sand ripples, etc)
- Any other specifics.

I need a space skybox. Just need stars all over the place and also a planet floated below on the bottom. Is this program you mentioned easy to use?

I tried making this on my own, using a picture of some stars, but they stretched at the corners of the skybox and you could tell it was a box.

peoplethought said:

I need a space skybox. Just need stars all over the place and also a planet floated below on the bottom. Is this program you mentioned easy to use?

If you grab some tutorials on the basics, its moderate difficulty. If you try to figure out the entire program for yourself, I'd say about high-moderate to high difficulty.

Added to the list.

Ok, well all I need is a generic looking space box. I can paint in the planet on the bottom myself, it's just keeping the stars in proper perspective that I can't simulate.

Space one done...apparantly Vue 6 is rather cruddy at space type skyboxes, had a lens flare sun and it looked flat and boxy, also, the stars fade out at the polar tips...

But its there!

Pretty nice, but the space skybox needs moar picksels!!1!one!!!

But seriously, maybe some galaxies in the background, or a close-by planet, or a distant sun, maybe gravitational lensing from a supermassive black hole on some galaxy, a supernova, a quasar... there are a lot of things that could be added for the space-box rather than a few stars.

If I ever do another spacebox, I think I'll premake some stuff in photoshop and import as image planes, Vue 6 itself is strongest on the ground (with its beautiful procedural terrains ^_^).