Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

that smooth turning rule makes this a very unique TAS. there's the obvious perfection of hits and damage, my beloved backwards sr50, etc... but the slow, gradual turning feels... dreamy. i dunno how to describe it, but you found your unique TAS style for sure.

That was very enjoyable style, indeed. There are some demos that make me smile and happy and this was one of them. Gotta love that rocket at 2:32 :)

The critic in me kept saying, "vdgg could multitask better," but once the critic realized that nobody was listening he just stopped talking. This TAS has a very fun and watchable style. I love all the trick shots and minimalist kills.

Creaphis, could you send me a PM and list all the moments you noticed lack of multitasking? I do realize the thing, some occurrences are caused by laziness (don't wanna repeat 500 last tics again!) but some might have escaped me.

Praises stunned me. I mean, I like my work, but I know other TASers/builders spend way much more time on theirs. There are ideas one may have stumbled on, but also ones which require repeating long sections multiple times. My demo lacks repeating long sections multiple times, obviously. And wow, a comment from an MM2 hater, is it real? Then I guess an HR/HR2 demo should be next - just don't expect anything, it is sooo time consuming :)

I also noticed that after reaching 10000 tics DRE slows down. Is it normal or system dependent?

vdgg said:

I also noticed that after reaching 10000 tics DRE slows down. Is it normal or system dependent?

->dre-readme.txt
ssp Set a save point (speeds up editing of large replays)
The slowdown is because each time you move to another tic, dre calculates from the beginning.

I don't know about maxing and even less about mm2 maps so it's easier not to be a critic. Don't expect same treatment for hr2 demos :)

Andy's builts are awesome but no other builder comes to my mind currently. Who are they and which demos (rambobones & entryway I should check out now)? I'd like to watch some now (doom2 builts are known)

Creaphis said:

vdgg could multitask better

Actually I think I should just take this back. I don't know enough about the map in question to be useful.

vdgg said:

MM2 MAP27 UV Max in 5:35. My first built demo.

LOVE it! Of course, I don't know the map well, so darting through all those corridors makes for some confusing viewing. Still, it's one hell of a TAS debut; quality work, all around.

It's great to see somebody else putting DRE to good use.

Andy Olivera said:

LOVE it! Of course, I don't know the map well, so darting through all those corridors makes for some confusing viewing. Still, it's one hell of a TAS debut; quality work, all around.

It's great to see somebody else putting DRE to good use.

I agree, and your style is indeed wonderful.

j4rio said:

Newbie-ish taz I've made in an hour or two. Was fun though.

Claustrophobia 2 map 23 max in 3:07.

Not bad, but turns should be improved.

Doom2 Map01 UV Speed/Pacifist in 4.97, Strafe 50 and Strafe 40 on turns, and the fast start is like what Compet-Ners did under doom2.exe
Built with DRE
It's been a question for years whether this could be done under normal controls, and here it is.
I'd say probably all the demos in Rambobones' fastest.lmp can be hypothetically equaled under normal controls.

To any TASer, don't try to continue this run without knowledge about the possible start on the next map under doom2.exe behavior. I think the wipe screen effect of the next map comes after 5-8 tics of the next map's start on doom2's exe, so for example you can only turn in the first tic of the next map, then on the 5th-8th tic but I don't know for sure about this, I only tested many ways the fast start at the beginning of the demo can work. I might make a thread about this fast start stuff :)

lv01x004.zip

Spectacular result! Is this just a one-time tas attempt or are you planning to put your skills into producing more built runs? Would be amazing to see rambobones' work done :)

Well I managed to get GF50 SR40 TRX tic at the beginning of a map followed by GF50 SR50 tics in doom2.exe, it required precise input timing because I needed to do this at the intermission screen right before the wipe out effect.
So here's map02 in 14s, and map01 was improved by 3 tics
jongo: I really can't promise I'll be working on anything, if I'll work on something I'd continue Rambobones' fastest.lmp because it seems all the times are hypothetically possible without SR50 on turns, so I'd better not waste precious time redoing it.

02uvx018.zip

I know nearly nothing about TAS. Is there some what comfortable way to make a 2, 3 or 4 player co-op TAS/built?

Ok, thanks dew.

building a coop demo should be just about twice (and so on) as hard as solo. you just write movement for the other player every tic. :)

dew said:

building a coop demo should be just about twice (and so on) as hard as solo. you just write movement for the other player every tic. :)

It's not that easy. You can't create a second of player one, then a second for player two because each modification to player two can affect the RNG and alter what you just created for player one. Essentially, you'd have to switch players every frame for it to be reliable. I know, because I started to do a four player run for MM31, but quickly realized that it would be too much of a headache.