Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

I found it a blast to play that way, actually. There's many routes and options, and even with TAS features it isn't an easy map for me - which is why I don't bother trying to get cacodemons to stop the door leading to the walkover linedef lowering the key pillar from closing, and I don't go near as fast as possible in many parts, staying alive was hard enough !

Sunder

Map08
UV Max in 21:10
(One cyberdemon never teleports in due to a ceiling height being too low in a monster teleporter)

su08-2110.zip

With all respect to DoomHero85, I think he's been trying to steal the "demo noob" crown from me so I had to take measures. Here's a ludicrous TAS UV Max that doesn't actually max (98% kills). Blows your mind, doesn't it ? Or maybe just blows. You decide.

Sunder
Map05 in 6:20

su05-620.zip

Andy Olivera said:
...Whether you'll be impressed, of course, is an entirely different matter.

For me, this demo shows how much fun had the author building it (a few very cool infigting sequences and en-route kills). I normally read the txt file 1st, then watch, this time I watched first. During playback I said to myself: "hey, he skipped the chainsaw! when is he going to collect it?" Wow, it was too fast for me to notice you did it already...

Oh, and the time is jaw-dropping.

This is my first TAS demo. I don't think I'll record any more of this kind - too exhausting, and I prefer "normal" demos.

Memento Mori II, MAP22 Tyson (27:59). Wanted to show it because I believe this is absolutely impossible without TAS.

m222tyx.zip

doom 2 map03 uv-speed in 0:18
(two segments, no other tools)

during the surge of activity in czech-n earlier this year i learned the map03 rj and managed to even sedlo's 19s (on prboom+, shush). it was a horrible, horrible grind, but it led me to believe 18s was possible unTAS'ed. and indeed it is, this run is replicable without tools.

the only demo i've ever seen breaking the demon march is rambo's built movie, but even he uses sg. there's no reason to save the second rocket in a single level run, so pigs go down. i even obtained the same result via different means so there's two 18s runs inside the archive showing both. if this was already explored, i apologize for reinventing the wheel. :p

the trouble is, this is still pretty random and prone to screwing up. given the ludicrous difficulty of the rocket jump, this is sci-fi territory. but rather william gibson scifi than george lucas. :) after a period of training i had a success rate of let's say 2 rj per hour. that means 1 rj for well over 50 deaths. i could unblock the pigs about 1 in 5 or 10 times in the second segment, i don't remember. add the stress factor that kills your nerves after making the jump... yeah, the force would be helpful. :)
ultimately i gave up because i'm not sure a prboom+ recording would get enough recognition i'd expect for killing so much time on it. :p

lv03x018.zip

Top notch demo as usual, tasty condensed pleasure inside. 4-rocket baron kills ftw! Also took a look at this Doom Odyssey demo... oh my god, was it frustrating to build i wonder. I got bored fast-forwarding through the last 10 minutes in 10000 acceleration, and you had to build it frame by frame. Sick! Good job though:)

Thanks, jongo.

And the Cacodemon fighting portion of E3M3 wasn't frustrating so much as tedious. Getting the Cacos to teleport out, on the other hand...

Phml said:

NG Map01 UV Speed in 2:23

Niiiiice, really close ending there. And nice death slide on the map05 UV speed. Yeah it's map05 not map03, was wondering what you meant about clumsily falling off ledges when that's about all you do in map03.

My very first TAS movie involving save-states, automap overlay, and cheats (IDDT and IDBEHOLDL)...

...and I chose (/drumroll) Twilight Warrior on PrBoom+ with a redux of that silly mod which I threw together using the sprites from DT-M16.ZIP. Because this modified Twilight Warrior isn't available to download, and because I'm using PrBoom+ to play Twilight Warrior in the first place, there's no demo lump to download. It's just this YouTube video:

Check out 2:40 and see how I managed to break into the embassy without the ability to jump. Yeah, that took away a few years of my life...

Oh yes, and credit where it's due for the overly-used silent pistol sound effect. Thanks Alan (alanguns.zip)

/Edit: I fixed the quality, and I rerecorded the video in order to better synch the audio. It's not perfect, but I'm done tinkering with it.

Unfinished and Misc Tases :)

Hell Revealed 2 Maps 01-11 UV Speed in 11:03
Improved Hell Revealed 2 Maps 01-02 UV Speed in 0:36 (Map03 Unfinished)
Memento Mori 2 Maps 01-02 UV Speed in 0:46
Doom E1M1 UV Speed in 0:08.66
Scythe X Map01 UV Max in 0:29

kimotass.zip

didierbertrand said in the textfile:
tough map on nightmare(especially with 100%secret).
teleporting and respawning monsters made thing quickly chaotic.
Don't think it's possible without tool-assist.

Yes, this Nightmare Secrets run is a challenge, but not a humanly impossible one. In the beginning of this century Xit Vono did tool-assisted NM runs for various tough PWAD levels, and thought about some of them that they cannot be done normally. But after some time he redid many of them without TAS, and often with faster times, including even TNT MAP09 and Requiem MAP08.

Your interest in NM playing is honourable, and with enough motivation, you'll manage to execute a non-assisted P214 NM100S run (maybe even in a lower time than 7:37, due to more practice and some future strategy enhancements).