Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

Scythe Ultra Violence TAS movie in 7:46

Hi, I made a tool-assisted demo for the first time, so this movie is not so good. Especially, beginning is terrible.
However, I think that it was a good experience for me.

Movement : Strafe50 and Strafe40 on turn

=========================================
 01    Get Going!              0:09
 02    Punchline               0:08
 03    Up and Around           0:19
 04    Lost Warehouse          0:17
 05    Slimy Tunnels           0:12
 06    Pressure Point          0:22
 07    Deadly                  0:01
 08    Garden Base             0:08
 09    Computer Storage        0:20
 10    The Lords               0:11
 11    Sneak Peak              0:04
 12    Walk in the Park        0:12
 13    Subverted Base          0:20
 14    Power Outage            0:25
 15    Blood Bath              0:09
 16    Burial Grounds          0:16
 17    Book Lords              0:22
 18    M/S Futura              0:07
 19    3000 AD                 0:16
 20    The Starport            0:37
 21    Solitude                0:09
 22    Despair                 0:18
 23    Anger                   0:03
 24    Hatred                  0:19
 25    Envy                    0:10
 26    Fear                    0:25
 27    Terror                  0:09
 28    Run From It             0:27
 29    Hell On Earth           0:21
 30    Fire and Ice            0:30

TOTAL TIME  * 7:46 *

=========================================

30scx746.zip

In map04, you could run under the RedKey door before they close, it shouldn't be so hard (as it's quite easy in nomo).
A good run anyway, some really nice surprises there (map 22 for example) :-)

I have unfinished TAS demo of first 12 levels on my HDD

Scythe
               The First 12 levels
         The Ultra-Violence Speed Movie
================================================

Time

level 1: Get going                      0:09
level 2: Punchline                      0:07
level 3: Up and Around                  0:16
level 4: Lost Warehouse                 0:13
level 5: Slimy Tunnels                  0:11
level 6: Pressure Point                 0:21
level 7: Deadly                         0:01
level 8: Garden Base                    0:07
level 9: Computer Storage               0:19
level 10: The Lords                     0:11
level 11: Sneak Peak                    0:04
level 12: Walk In The Park              0:12

-----------------------------------------------
                  Total - 2:11

entryway said:

I have unfinished TAS demo of first 12 levels on my HDD

level 3: Up and Around                  0:16
level 4: Lost Warehouse                 0:13

Oh, that sounds good! I'm looking forward to watching your complete run.

Btw, why does everyone use Strafe50 on turn only when making TAS movie?

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

If you mean, why isn't it used for non-TAS runs, it's because strafe-50 automation of any kind would be a severe cheat in normal demo-recording.

If you mean, why do some people use strafe-50 while turning in TAS recording, then, well, this issue can be debated. The early TAS demos didn't feature this, given that it was viewed as impossible with the normal engine, and a TAS demo was viewed as "what it might look like if God played Doom" i.e. as perfect as possible within the normal constraints of Doom play. However, I think I recall Andrey Budko saying that strafe-50 while turning is possible with the normal engine when using mouse, joystick and keyboard, and presumably three hands. If that is so, then I suppose it can be considered legitimate in TAS runs too. But I haven't verified that myself, and personally wouldn't use it in any event.

Grazza said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

If you mean, why do some people use strafe-50 while turning in TAS recording

Of course, my question means that. I think TAS is a theoretical record in possible by rule of normal-recording demo, so I think that thing is not permitted in normal-recording and also must not be used in TAS.
However, if everyone keeps using Always Strafe50, I also use it only for a full set of TAS demo. When I make a single map TAS, I will use either "Strafe50 and Strafe40 on turn" or "Always Strafe40".

Initially it was my mistake in auto strafe50 code. And I think I was mistaken earlier. Strafe50 is not possible with turns with vanilla engine.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Oh, that sounds good! I'm looking forward to watching your complete run.

It is not mine :)

Amazing movie!
The first few maps aren't fast, but the latter ones are just stunning! The 17,18,19,22 row and all the following are especially cool :) Gonna rewatch it few times now, cuz it's so damn short =)

I use it because it's easier this way. Without this feature you are obliged to use straight robotic movements everywhere to get full strafe-50 speed. That's not a problem when you simply run somewhere (without monsters that can block you). I always try to choose the most efficient and short path to the next section though.
But once you get in a room full of monsters, you have to turn your head alot which leads to a time loss. To avoid this you either have to spend alot more time planning your way through the horde and waiting for a lucky run, or simply turn "strafe50 on turns" on :) Anyway, due to the fact that every human is not perfect and makes lots of unnecesary stuff even in slowmo, this option no more than compensates a time loss imo.
Short: you can use curvy trajectories with str50 on turns, and without it you should combine both straight trajectories and curvy ones (as rare as possible, in a general case).

I have also attached my unfinished movie. There are some nice times in the archive, so maybe someone gets inspired to improve the run :) Not me! I myself dont have a spare time nowadays (till the next summer probably...), and want to make a grand polishment to my plutonia run first =)

11sc0152_tas.zip

jongo said:

I use it because it's easier this way. Without this feature you are obliged to use straight robotic movements everywhere to get full strafe-50 speed. That's not a problem when you simply run somewhere (without monsters that can block you). I always try to choose the most efficient and short path to the next section though.
But once you get in a room full of monsters, you have to turn your head alot which leads to a time loss. To avoid this you either have to spend alot more time planning your way through the horde and waiting for a lucky run, or simply turn "strafe50 on turns" on :) Anyway, due to the fact that every human is not perfect and makes lots of unnecesary stuff even in slowmo, this option no more than compensates a time loss imo.
Short: you can use curvy trajectories with str50 on turns, and without it you should combine both straight trajectories and curvy ones (as rare as possible, in a general case).

Thank you for your valuable opinion. At least, I will use Strafe50 for a full set of TAS demo.

entryway said:

It is not mine :)

Sorry.

entryway said:

Are you prophet?

He is not prophet.
Actually, in "Plutonia TAS movie in 13:37" thread

Lost Heretic said:

When I finished to record Memento Mori movie, I have done first 12 levels of Scythe. But I can’t finish all 30 levels in the near future, because I am very busy at this time. :(
May be I will finish it in next year. :)

I noticed his post after making first 15 maps.

Gusta said:

In map04, you could run under the RedKey door before they close, it shouldn't be so hard (as it's quite easy in nomo).

Is it such feeling? (I attached a demo) This demo is negligent run. I made this in 15 min. I stuck on imps after getting a red key. If it makes smooth there, 14 sec is possible easily.
However, 13 sec is impossible in "Strafe-40 on turn"

sc04x015.zip

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

I noticed his post after making first 15 maps.

Here this movie, if you are interested. :)
But it will be never finished, because jongo movie faster than my.
All in all your movie is cool, tatsurd-cacocaco. I with pleasure have looked it some times.

Lost Heretic said:

Here this movie, if you are interested. :)

Thanks. It is reference very much for me.

jongo said:

I have also attached my unfinished movie. There are some nice times in the archive, so maybe someone gets inspired to improve the run :) Not me! I myself dont have a spare time nowadays (till the next summer probably...), and want to make a grand polishment to my plutonia run first =)

Sorry, your attachment had not appeared yet when I did last my post. But, I watched it yesterday. It's amazing! You showed me a lot of RL tricks in your plutonia TAS movie. You did it by barrels on scythe map 5 and map 6. This is good idea. A record of map 3 is also pretty good.
Finally, really thank you for sc24-020.

i just realized that erik hasn't been on this forum for almost 2 years.

and i realized i wanted to play the last 3 levels on scythe 2 in an official megawad...