• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chronoplasm

Noob Question [PWADs don't work with the shareware]

Hi. I'm trying to load WADs in Doom 95, but it keeps giving this message saying

"You cannot -file with the shareware version. Register!"

So... What do I do?

You need he full game to load PWADs (additional patch WADs). If you have a full game (either DOOM, The Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II or Final DOOM), you need to place its IWAD in the same directory as Doom95, and then choose the main WAD in the launcher. If you only have the shareware (DOOM1.WAD), you need to buy one of the full games first.

Id Software allowed DOOM game add-ons under the condition that they require their full games.

You can get Freedoom if you need something that can serve as a valid Doom2.wad file without buying the real Doom2.wad. Of course, the sprites and textures are different (especially the sprites).

Or you can buy Doom/Doom2/Final Doom. It's quite cheap nowadays, you know.

Cheap is an understatement. I saw a boxed copy of Ultimate DOOM go for 99p on ebay a day or so ago.

A newer gamer might not know what the terms "shareware" and "registered" mean.

But yeah, as everybody else has said. You need to purchase the full Doom game (a.k.a the registered version) to be able to run fan made levels/mods. The ability to is disabled in the Demo (a.k.a the shareware version).

The thing I loved about shareware was how it they were basically glorified demos. Doom had a full episode available for play.

I laughed when I realized that the Doom trial on xbox live was just the first level.