Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Manik999

New TC(in my head at least)

Well, I've just been spending the last week downloading, poking around and tinkering with all this stuff...

I'd like to make a TC focused on Deathmatch, but with a slight storyline to move it along.

The basic idea is that a player starts by choosing a certain race with unique statistics(speed, strength, native weaponry, etc.) and enters a contest in which they fight other races with their own unique capabilities.

Players can compete in training battles, in which they earn stats and can upgrade their weapons' strengths-- or they can challenge another race to a tournament in which each race will wager a weapon or special item that the winner will receive.

The weapons will range from melee to ballstic to energy-based, and will have variable effective radiuses.

A distant goal which I'd like to implement is that the training battleground could be a randomly generated arena.

Another issue is realistic A.I. that can learn a player's patterns and adapt to different playtypes(CTF, Command Control, DM, King of the Hill, etc.).

OK, so... I think I'm pretty capable of toying around with DeHackEd, DoomCAD, XWE, and the rest-- but there will be plenty of Things and gameplay elements which will be a lot harder to implement. I'm talking about flags, command points, race-specific weapons, jumping, saving custom characters with different stats, and the list goes on.

So my questions are: how many of these things are possible with the tools that are out there right now? Can the original Doom engine support this kind of gameplay, or would it be a better idea to develop on one of the sourceports? Which editors support which sourceports? How much will I be able to accomplish without actually having to learn C?

(OK, that last comment sounded a little lazy, but I'm somehow incapable of learning syntax with most current languages. The last language I coded in was Commodore Basic, and I didn't even do much with that. VB3 seems like a lot of crap to learn in order to accomplish very little-- and C++ looks like complete gibberish and I never learned logarhyhms and such. And all the "beginner's" tutorials I've found only give you the straight dope behind commands with a lot of "it works this way and that's all you need to know" without giving you a hint of the nature behind the language. I think it has something to do with the fact that I need to be able to visualize the logic and the application of certain structures in code before I can begin to understand them. But anyway, I hope you didn't read all this. It's just complaining when you get down to it.)

So on to the replies.