Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
soulsweat

A Big Problem With My WAD

I have been messing around in Doom Builder making a map in the format of ZDOOM [Doom 2 In Hexen]. I took a break from making this map and when I went back to edit it I found it was unplayable, even though I played it with no problem last time. When I checked it in Doom Builder there was a long list of error messages about linedefs and when I looked at the map it was just a bunch of lines. My question to you is, how did this happen? and how can I avoid this awful mistake? An answer to this question would be very helpful to me since I was enjoying making maps in that format and this happened to me twice [Both times I was pretty far into the map].

It looks like your level file got corrupted some how. This is why Doom Builder automatically makes backup files - hopefully there are some older copies of your wad in the same folder.

For future reference, Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) compatibility is one of the highest level compatibilities, meaning your level can pretty much only be loaded in that compatibility. What you just described is what happens when you try to load your map in a lower compatibility, like Boom or Doom2, where all the linedef actions and whatnot will be in an unidentified format and DB will get PO'd that you tried to make it read a Hexen compatibility in Boom format, for example. Make sure you always load your map in the same compatibility it was created in (for your case, Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) format.) to avoid this issue. Under certain circumstances, DB loads maps in Boom format by default, so you need to make sure to change the configuration to the correct format upon loading your map if it isn't already.

Death-Destiny said:

For future reference, Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) compatibility is one of the highest level compatibilities, meaning your level can pretty much only be loaded in that compatibility. What you just described is what happens when you try to load your map in a lower compatibility, like Boom or Doom2, where all the linedef actions and whatnot will be in an unidentified format and DB will get PO'd that you tried to make it read a Hexen compatibility in Boom format, for example. Make sure you always load your map in the same compatibility it was created in (for your case, Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) format.) to avoid this issue. Under certain circumstances, DB loads maps in Boom format by default, so you need to make sure to change the configuration to the correct format upon loading your map if it isn't already.

Well, sort of. The issue with loading Hexen maps in a different format is actually because the entire map format is different, to accommodate the 5 arguments per line and whatnot. Adding different linedef actions would just result in it saying "Unknown" when you mouse over lines that use those actions (i.e. trying to look at a Boom map in basic Doom format).

The BEHAVIOR lump is usually used (by DB, at least) to determine that a map is in Hexen format.