Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death-Destiny

Constriction 1024: The Sequel to Claustrophobia 1024

Craigs said:

By the way, how exactly do I use one of those skys in the resource pack?

Courtesy of esselfortium:
- Create a dummy sector outside of your map.
- Give one line of that dummy sector line special 271.
- Set the line's upper texture (yes, upper texture) to the sky texture you want to use.
- Give the line a sector tag, and tag all sky-ceiling areas of your map with the same number.
- If you need to use multiple tags in outdoor areas, for lifts or whatever, you'll need to split your sky-transfer line into one line for each number and tag them accordingly.

Butts said:

king kill is making a statement. he wants a challenge, and im very tempted to take it.

I challenge you to a duel! :p

Death-Destiny said:

I think Kingkill is trying to see if he can exceed the SEG limit within the bounds of a 1024x1024 square! ;)

I thought about it. I think it'd definitely be a challenge, though. What's the SEG limit anyway?

Mechadon said:

- Set the line's upper texture (yes, upper texture) to the sky texture you want to use.
- Give the line a sector tag, and tag all sky-ceiling areas of your map with the same number.
- If you need to use multiple tags in outdoor areas, for lifts or whatever, you'll need to split your sky-transfer line into one line for each number and tag them accordingly.

Ah thanks man. I got it working, but I gotta admit it is kind of an inconvience having to tag each sector with a sky flat... :\

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. What I do is make my sky sector box FIRST and tag my sky flats with 1. Depending on where your at in your map, all you have to do is use the Find tool to find all of the sectors with the sky flat and then just tag them accordingly. From there if you have to tag an outside sector with a different tag, all you have to do is split your sky transfer control line action and give it that tag. That way it's more of a progressive way of dealing with the multiple sky tags and, for me anyways, it's a whole lot easier.

KingKill33 said:

What's the SEG limit anyway?

The segs limit in Boom, and thus for this project, is 32767. Some ports, such as PrBoom-Plus, Eternity, and ZDoom (considered "strong limit-removing ports") double it to 65535.

It is important to note that the number of segs in your map is *NOT* the same as the number of linedefs or sidedefs in your map, though segs are created from sidedefs. You will always have at least as many segs as you have sidedefs; in an actual map, you'll always have more segs than you do sidedefs. Different node builders, and different settings for those node builders, can get better or worse segs performance.

Try setting Doom Builder to use BSP as your nodebuilder, with "-factor 25" added to its parameters. This will make it split nodes, and thus segs, less often, resulting in less of them. You can find out how many segs your map currently has by opening it in XWE and looking at the number of entries it says are in your SEGS lump.

I should note, however, that BSP is not capable of handling maps with more than 32767 sidedefs or segs, so if you inadvertently go over the limit, Doom Builder will crash when trying to save your map and you'll be left with a 1kb wad file with nothing in it.

As such, it might not be a bad idea to use something like ZDBSP or DeePBSP in Doom Builder itself, and create a batch file to build magical seg-saving nodes in BSP.

Something like

cd "C:\Program Files\Doom Builder"

bsp-w32 "C:\Doom\inputmap.wad" -o "C:\Doom\outputmap.wad" -picknode visplane -factor 25
should do the trick, if you replace inputmap.wad and outputmap.wad with your wad's file location and name, and the location and name to output the built nodes to. You will definitely want to build into a separate wad, instead of your main copy, so that in case something goes wrong you don't have to worry about losing your work.

Hope this helps!

Mechadon said:

:dias nodahceM

So... is there still a problem with the 1024-2 'color map' or something? Do you know how to fix it so we can, like... you know... release it?

KingKill33 said:

I'm at 198,288 segs. @_@

The Doom map format isn't capable of holding 198,288 segs. You're reading something incorrectly.

That's the actual lump size, not the number of segs. And considering that it's displaying as hex, and that there are no other lumps visible in the wad, it would appear that your nodebuilder and/or Doom Builder screwed up your map when saving. Hope you have a backup. D:

If the nodes have been built correctly, you should be able to select the SEGS lump in XWE, and at the bottom of the window it'll say something like "__,___ entries". That's the number of segs you currently have.

Well, I have everything sorted out now. I about had a panic attack thinking that I screwed my map up. Anyway, the number at the bottom is 16,524. I shouldn't have anything to worry about. That huuuuge number seemed a bit off, and I'm glad the SEG amount isn't even half of that ridiculous number.

Mechadon said:

Probably a total nublet question, but will line special 271 work in the standard Doom2 configuration on DB, or do I need to use a Boom configuration?

Thanks for the explanation btw. I had no idea how you would go about using a wall texture to create a sky flat.

Kyka said:

Probably a total nublet question, but will line special 271 work in the standard Doom2 configuration on DB, or do I need to use a Boom configuration?

Thanks for the explanation btw. I had no idea how you would go about using a wall texture to create a sky flat.

It's in Doom Builder's Boom config, but Boom itself actually doesn't support it. And Vanilla most certainly does not. It's generally considered a Boom feature because nearly all Boom-compatible ports from MBF onward have supported it.

Could as well make a map, sign me up.

edit: Now if only Zshare was working...I wants resource wad. :(

Thanks essel, I've since abandoned zshare :(

Also I'm going to continue working on this second map of mine and, if I finish it, I'll keep it as a back-up or to fill an empty slot down the road.

I'll go ahead and claim one of the remaining slots. I've already got something in the works and have been making great progress so far.

POTGIESSER said:

I'm on that list.

Just so you know. :D

Yea, you'd better poke Death-Destiny with a stick or something and make sure he gets you on the mapping list...it's almost full :O

gggmork said:

So... is there still a problem with the 1024-2 'color map' or something? Do you know how to fix it so we can, like... you know... release it?

Yea, the damage gradient is messed up. At it's brightest point the red is totally opaque instead of semi-transparent like it should be, so it really messes with gameplay. Right now I'm waiting on a fellow modder to send me a program which will apply the correct damage gradient to the PLAYPAL...hopefully that'll happen on Sunday. HOWEVER, this is not a certainty. If he can't get the program to me, we'll either have to find another way to fix it (I'll probably make a thread about it here) or we'll just have to dump it or use a different PLAYPAL.

Also, I don't really know why I'm even bothering to make another map, but...

It's somewhat inspired by 'Nullvoid Jr' from Congestion...atleast so far. Well I suppose that the screenshot might keep people going with their mapping even if I don't finish it or if it doesn't get used :P

My map is about finished, just gotta finish testing it on the various difficulty levels and working out little bugs here and there. Sadly, I had to work outside of the 1024x1024 box to get some landscaping and gameplay elements done, which I didn't want to do. However, it doesn't hurt the map at all. :D

Progress Shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/dabloodbath/12691258.png

So, is claustrophobia just about done? I don't mean to be impatient or anything, but I'm quite eager to see what everyone has done for it.
:D

Mik57 said:

So, is claustrophobia just about done? I don't mean to be impatient or anything, but I'm quite eager to see what everyone has done for it.
:D

Sorry, the damage gradient in the COLORMAP is still screwed up. Mech's got someone on this right now, though I'm not sure what will come of it. I'd say this thing's probably going to be released on 10.24 no matter what. If Mech's modder can't get it fixed soon, we're just going to fix it ourselves or use another playpal. I know you all are tired of waiting for something like that. :/

Another announcement, if you remember anyone who signed up for and was pushed out of 1024_2 that's not on the roster because I forgot them, please point them out. There's only two slots left and I want them to get one. :_(
Also, no one is allowed to make second maps at all for this project. I want to leave the remaining slots open to new team mates for the rest of the project (unless they stay open for like 2 months straight, which won't happen.)

Finally, we need someone to make an Icon of Sin map for MAP30, someone to use the 666/667 triggers for MAP07, and two people to put secret exits in their maps for MAP15 and MAP31. Any volunteers?

Thanks guys. :)