Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Overkill and E1M1

I was looking up thrash metal songs on youtube and I came across a song that had a riff similar to At Doom's Gate. It wasn't Metallica's "No Remorse" or "Master of Puppets". It wasn't Slayer's "Behind the Crooked Cross" or King Diamond's "The Family Ghost". Hell, it wasn't even DRI's "Hooked". It was a song no one has mentioned before and it's called "Elimination" by Overkill. The riff isn't as identical as "Hooked" or "No Remorse" but the rhythm is very similar.

Judge for Yourselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br2fxZKIUqA

The notes still don't match. E1M1 uses a tri-tone.

In fact I think it's quite easy to start a metal song with this pattern. Though it's quite far away, I'd also say that another track, Iron Maiden's Wasted Years start, bears resemblance with that D_E1M1 song.

The fact that you can pull half a dozen similar-sounding songs off the top of your head should debunk your own argument. Besides, the rest of the song sounds completely different.

people were commenting on how it sounds like master of puppets... no way in hell it sounds anything like it in my opinion. good song either way.

Bucket said:

The fact that you can pull half a dozen similar-sounding songs off the top of your head should debunk your own argument. Besides, the rest of the song sounds completely different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the be-all and end-all of possabilities(excuse my spelling). And you're right, it is a stupid argument, but I just thought that if people believe that an unidentical song like "The Family Ghost" or worse yet, an already covered song like "Behind The Crooked Cross" would be reasonable possabilities, it was only fair that I put my two cents in.

I don't think there is necessarily any connection between any of these songs, except that they are metal (ish). I wouldn't be surprised if one was derived/inspired by another, but unless the author explicitly says so, I would assume no such connection. The only exception would be in the case of doom midi's that were obviously taken from other musicians (as a good percentage of them are), but I really think all these vague "resemblances" are most likely coincidential rather than deliberate.

On a less relevant note, I once worked (on a constructions job) with the current drummer from Overkill - not that they currently have much significance in the metal scene.

It seems "inspired" by E1M1 however. I give you credit for that.

I think D.R.I.'s "Hooked" is the closest E1M1-sounding song I've heard. It's basically identical except for some last few notes.

Whoaaa I love DRI howd i not know about this song??