Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How much does oversea shipping cost?

I was wandering about buying some Doom stuff on Amazon.com that i can't buy here back at home. How much does the oversee shipping cost and how long will it take the product to reach it's destination? I live in Iceland by the way.

why not put the stuff in your cart, and go up to the point where you would put in your credit card info, and see what it comes out to.

I get all my music from amazon. I don't think it matters where it comes from, it always amounts to $2.98. I dunno if that helps considering what you're getting, and whether or not the CD's i order always come from from the U.S.

myk said:

Do we look like Amazon's customer support?

I am not just talking about Amazon, i want to know how much it costs to ship products overseas regardless of where they come from.

It all depends on how much the shipper wants to charge. There are standard rates that the USPS charges for shipping overseas depending on the destination itself, but you'd have to contact the USPS for information on that. The seller themself can charge as much for shipping as they want. Most keep it relatively near the actual shipping rate to maintain a good reputation, but they can set any amount they want. I used to work for a place that made a fair amount of it's money this way. The shipping was based on a weight scale, 1-5 pounds was a certain amount, 5-10, etc. And the rates we charged were still padded a good 5 dollars over UPS's actual price they charged us. So if you ordered something that cost under a pound, UPS might charge 2 dollars for shipping, so we'd charge 7. Honest? No. Legal? You bet your sweet bippy. The only way to tell how much a specific seller will charge is by starting the order and seeing how much they're charging.

hardcore_gamer said:

I am not just talking about Amazon, i want to know how much it costs to ship products overseas regardless of where they come from.

it just does not work that way

lots of big and even small online retailers have the cart feature that tallies up your shipping costs in advance, and for those that don't you can just email a customer support address or check with the shipping company (fedex, DHL, etc) they say they use if applicable

Unless you're trying to buy some Legendary Pink Dots CDs, in which case you have to pay with cash. In euros. To some place in Belgium.

So glad they're coming to town on Saturday so I can actually buy some CDs from them.

/threadjack

If you have a rough idea of an item's weight and dimensions - use the country of origin's Postage Price Calculator to get an indication of the minimum cost. Packing materials, Customs Declaration, Insurance (if available) and etc. will also have to be allowed for.

Amazon US to Europe shipping rates

Generally speaking, shipping rates depend on: Where you buy from (both country and store), what delivery companies they use, which delivery options they use (or you may choose from), how big your parcel is, how much it weights, how many items there are in total (this is a more rare approach, don't know many stores besides Amazon doing this) and where do you live. Online stores always have their shipping rates explained in their help sections. If they don't, don't trust them. Simple as that.*

If you're planning to buy something from Amazon, see if you can get a better deal from Amazon.co.uk. The delivery times within Europe can be much faster and the shipping costs are also lower when you order multiple items at once.

Also, avoid courier companies like UPS, FedEx, DHL and so on. They have a tendency to bill you for extra if your country's customs official consider your shipment to be worth investigating.

*Although there are some stores which say that they use this and that shipping service and can't provide cost estimates before placing the order, but they usually link you to the delivery company's cost calculator where you can get some estimates.

Jodwin said:

Amazon US to Europe shipping rates

If you're planning to buy something from Amazon, see if you can get a better deal from Amazon.co.uk. The delivery times within Europe can be much faster and the shipping costs are also lower when you order multiple items at once.

I don't think so! After our banks went broke, the euro and the British pound costs ALLOT to buy!

There is no way that i am buying anything with euros or British pounds!

Not until our economy gets better. The US dollar on the other hand does not cost any were near as much.

So i am sticking with Amazon.com for now....

Note: more likely than not, you will have to pay an extra fee in the Customs department of your local post office.

Zaldron said:

Note: more likely than not, you will have to pay an extra fee in the Customs department of your local post office.

Yeah, last time it was 25€ tax for the Beagle Board...
Fantastic, i am soooo happy helping Stasi-Scheuble and his Overlord Countess Merkel von Evilzollern in their world domination plans.
Dont you see what a happy citizen i am?

(The first to find sarcasm is granted one free internet... ;) )

Zaldron said:

Well, depends on the total price of the shipment (items+shipping) and your country's customs regulations. Best place to find more about that is the customs' website if they have any, or then give them a call.

Oh and local post office my ass, if I order something that gets stuck in the customs I have to take a day trip to the very other side of the town (over an hour one-way in a bus), which is even worse because I haven't got a car.