Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Two light levels by Eternal

One more mapset from Eternal is ready for publishing.

There are two small and easy maps there.

What do you think about?

JohnnyRancid said:

Looks kinda weird.

You are right. It's weird

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

For what port will it be?

Limit removind

It's already in Incoming

Whoah!!

I'm a sucker for good architecture, and this architecture is just superb.
Reminds me of Yesterday.wad by Ray Schmitz

Just one question. How did you do those arches? Is it just lots of small sectors? Is it a transparent texture shaped like an arch? That's what it looks like. Or is there some other trickery going on there?

Kyka said:

Whoah!!

I'm a sucker for good architecture, and this architecture is just superb. Just one question. How did you do those arches? Is it just lots of small sectors? Is it a transparent texture shaped like an arch? That's what it looks like. Or is there some other trickery going on there?

Impressive architecture, indeed! I'd love to know how he made those as well. Some very cool looking stuff in those screenshots.

Kyka said:

Just one question. How did you do those arches? Is it just lots of small sectors? Is it a transparent texture shaped like an arch? That's what it looks like. Or is there some other trickery going on there?

Look closely. They're just made of 5 layers of midtextures, though they look really good!

I'm going to reserve my judgements until I actually play this. Eternal is an awesome mapper, so it should be an interesting pair of maps. These maps appear to be of a surreal nature... :D

The best, heh? It's very simple to be the best IMO :) You need about 10 minutes to beat the first and 10 for the second.

I am impressed with shadows on map02. Every detail of architecture has shadow, even stairs have it :) So Eternal strongly recommends to use low gamma for map02.

btw, Eternal almost always tests his levels with gamma 1 in glboom+

I'm not trying to hijack your thread (you can PM me if you like), but how do you make things appear as though they're floating in the air? I've tried this just now in a couple different ways, with a sector inside a sector with sky surrounding, but I got some weird graphical glitches from that. How's it properly achieved?

entryway said:

The best, heh? It's very simple to be the best IMO :) You need about 10 minutes to beat the first and 10 for the second.

A good map isn't equal a hard map with tons of monsters or a doom3-like map where monsters appear suddenly.
New (not from doom2) textures and flats look nice.

Subatomic said:

I'm not trying to hijack your thread (you can PM me if you like), but how do you make things appear as though they're floating in the air? I've tried this just now in a couple different ways, with a sector inside a sector with sky surrounding, but I got some weird graphical glitches from that. How's it properly achieved?

It's really pretty easy. These floating metal thinga-mabobs are just sectors of architecture lowered from the ceiling. As you are no doubt aware, Doom renders the sky on any sectors marked with the flat "F_SKY1". The two screenshots below have identical architecture, except the top one uses the sky flat and the other one uses a generic, solid looking flat. You do not need to do anything strange with the surrounding sector to achieve this effect.

Death-Destiny said:

It's really pretty easy. These floating metal thinga-mabobs are just sectors of architecture lowered from the ceiling. As you are no doubt aware, Doom renders the sky on any sectors marked with the flat "F_SKY1". The two screenshots below have identical architecture, except the top one uses the sky flat and the other one uses a generic, solid looking flat. You do not need to do anything strange with the surrounding sector to achieve this effect.

Ahh, I get it. It seems so simple now! Thanks for the explanation.