Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Dead Space

I just picked up a copy from Gamestop today I haven't gotten far yet, but I gotta say, I'm liking it so far. I really haven't been this scared since I played Ghouls Forest 3.
Anyone else gotten it yet?

I am waiting for the PC version... if I can even use it on my PC. This is the first game I've looked forward to in 5 years. I think the game should be called Doom 4. Similar backstory from Doom only more elaborate and it makes sense.

The video comic on Youtube made the game look really good without even showing any footage from the game.

Heh, I wasn't expecting much when I first heard about it, mainly because it was made by EA games. I've always felt that they either just throw something together halfway and then toss it into a crowd of gamers or simply take one good game and then pile sequel after sequel on top of it until it collapses and dies, but this one's pretty good so far. Lots of OSHI- moments and parts that I actually found kind of amusing such as when your ship explodes after you try to run a simple diagnostic check on it. First thing I thought when that happened was how the hell Isaac managed to become an engineer. :P

let's talk about the game and not about lame company politics shall we

okay

i want this game. It's fairly unloved and generic in design though

I really like it so far (have it for PS3). It's not as scary as I thought it was going to be, though. But it does have some "holy crap!" style deaths in it, and a decent amount of gore. I'll be interested to see where the story goes by the end of the game.

geo said:

I am waiting for the PC version... if I can even use it on my PC. This is the first game I've looked forward to in 5 years. I think the game should be called Doom 4.

Ageed. I am waiting for this one to hit my PC. The trailers look awesome, (not that that is any real indication of anything. If you can't make a trailer look good...) and from what I have been reading, the game itself is actually the goods.

Just on a side note, did you know that EA have released:
At least 35 commercial releases of The Sims
21 for "Need for Speed"
16 for "Medal of Honor"
14 for the "Battlefield" series.

Not to mention all the EA sports games

Eh, I've gotten further into the game and I can't help but wonder why they even bothered with the line gun and assault rifle. I really haven't even run across ammo for them in a while. All I'm finding is ammo for the pistol, flamethrower, saw, and contact beam. You can get the ammo for the line gun and AR from shops, but they're extremely expenisive. You only get 2 for 2000 credits and the line gun's clip can hold about 5 rounds. So 2 clips cost as much as the first armor upgrade. :\ Meanwhile, you've got the contact beam which can pretty much kill almost anything in one hit no matter where you hit them, and enemies drop ammo for it like candy from a piñata

I have seen a video review somewhere for this on the day that it came out. The reviewer was talking about how its not as fun the 2nd and 3rd time around. I am wondering if that meant he got an advance copy or he ran through the game that many times in a day.

Each level supposedly is between 30-90 minutes long.

The levels actually vary in length, and most take about 15 minutes to get through, not counting deaths. My main problem is how repetitive the mission objectives are. There was one part on the bridge where you had to run over to the asteroid defense gun and shoot down incoming asteroids until they could get the automatic ADG back online. Later on, you find yourself on that same exact level in that same exact gun emplacement, only instead of shooting at asteroids, you're shooting at a giant monster and the red barrels it throws at the ship. :\

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far, and I've only played maybe an hour and a half of it so far.

Craigs said:

Eh, I've gotten further into the game and I can't help but wonder why they even bothered with the line gun and assault rifle. I really haven't even run across ammo for them in a while. All I'm finding is ammo for the pistol, flamethrower, saw, and contact beam.

Ammo spawns depending on what weapons you have equipped, so if you have four on you at a time, less ammo for each gun will spawn. I recommend only carrying two or three at a time so the ammo is more balanced. And pulse and flame ammo spawns the most out of the seven or so guns you can get because they carry so much.

The line gun and pulse rifle are great when you upgrade them. Just about every weapon is. For instance, the force gun and ripper are murder machines when fully upgraded. :p

Captain Red said:

I want this game, but it's currently competing with Fallout 3 and I can only afford one right now :(

Hah, same here. Need a PC release for both before I can bother investing. Still, love the monster design.

I don't see how you guys are feeling a Doom vibe from this. This game is clearly a System Shock 2 ripoff, right down to organic matter clogging hydroponics. That said, though, I watched a friend play 3/4 of the way through this when I was drunk and it wasn't that horrible. It does feel a bit forced though, and its replay value probably isn't very high. I'd say this is good for a single playthrough, though.

It looks cool but I ain't coughing up $50 for that shit. I miss when video games were between $10-$20. I don't have an income where spewing out dollars for a game I'll play once then leave in the closet forever can be an acceptable way to live.

I'll stick with Doom thank you. I've been playing it since 1993, and I bought my own copy back in 1999 for $10 and had not quit playing it yet. Best $10 I've ever spent in my entire life.

I really want to play this ;____;

It's been a long time since I bought a console for myself, just wish I could afford it now.

my local newspaper gave this game an A. is it good enough to deserve an A? (i have never played it)

Butts said:

my local newspaper gave this game an A. is it good enough to deserve an A? (i have never played it)

I'd give it more along the lines of a B-
As cool as it is, it pretty much boils down to a hybrid of several different games, and there's really nothing ground breaking here. Everything in it has really been done before. :\

JohnnyRancid said:

It looks cool but I ain't coughing up $50 for that shit. I miss when video games were between $10-$20. I don't have an income where spewing out dollars for a game I'll play once then leave in the closet forever can be an acceptable way to live.

I'll stick with Doom thank you. I've been playing it since 1993, and I bought my own copy back in 1999 for $10 and had not quit playing it yet. Best $10 I've ever spent in my entire life.

Video games were never $10-$20. They were always $50. The only ones that were $10-$20 had been out 2 years.

Craigs said:

Everything in it has really been done before. :\

The "Hud", as I guess you would put it, is unique; it's on the actual character.

Inferno said:

The "Hud", as I guess you would put it, is unique; it's on the actual character.

I think he means things which are actually important to the game.