Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Martin Howe

Instant Doom Levels vs Tricks of the Doom Gurus

Years ago, I bought a book-and-CD package called "Tricks of the Doom Gurus" by Sams Publishing. Now I have found a reference on cd.textfiles.com to a similar CD called "Instant Doom Levels" by the same people and it appears to have an electronic version (PDF) of the book in the other one -- the rest of the content seems to be just a rehash of the "Tricks of the Doom Gurus" CD.

I'd never heard of "Instant Doom Levels". Anybody know anything about it?

It looks to be the work of MacMillan Digital Publishing. They were fairly active in the late 90's re-publishing books in PDF form - I have several that accompanied Red Hat Linux distros. It's a way of squeezing a little more money out of a publication. Fun fact - my copy of "Tricks of the Doom Gurus" came in a glossy box bearing the title "Doom Companion" - don't ask me why.

Interesting ... my TotDG was a book with the CD envelope stuck inside the back cover; it was sold as a book that happens to include a CD, rather than a product in a box. On a similar note, I just posted question on the 3DR forums about the Kill-A-Ton collection :) Why do all these add-on publishers republish and republish... to make more £££ and $$$ of course :P

GreyGhost said:

Fun fact - my copy of "Tricks of the Doom Gurus" came in a glossy box bearing the title "Doom Companion" - don't ask me why.

I believe there was a repackaging of DOOM called "Doom Companion" that came with magazines or something, and included some additional thing like that.

MartinHowe said:

Interesting ... my TotDG was a book with the CD envelope stuck inside the back cover; it was sold as a book that happens to include a CD, rather than a product in a box.

I never actually bought it, but that's how I remember it sitting on the shelves in my local game shops. Book with included CD.