Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doctor Faust

Doomed Moon of Mars

This is a fascinating thread. :) A classic to be chronicled in the annals of DooM's history.

It makes sense that the moon would have its own reddish hue to its make up since it could have been made from Mars. Btw, phobos is going to break up from pressures exerted on it by gravity before it will hit Mars' surface according to the article.

CodeImp said:

Sorry to bring it to you, but "doom" is a very normal word, not only the name of the game. The article talks about how Phobos is doomed because it will probably be destroyed in a very long time, naturally. Sorry, I don't see how the writer had this game in mind when he wrote this, or any other game for that matter.

Spoilsport :)

We all know Phobos's orbit will be saved by the UAC anyway...

Doctor Faust said:

A funny fact: The escape velocity of Phobos is only about 11m/s. Start to jog and become almost weightless. Don't even think about straferunning - you would leave the surface forever!

I had nitpicked on Doom and Doom 3's astronomy in this thread:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-3-general/44620-nitpicking-on-doom-3s-astronomy/

Never minding the low escape velocity, there's barely enough surface gravity to actually "hold on" to Phobos, let alone walk on it. Even firing your gun downwards would result in powered flight! Heh...imagine the deathmatches between self-propelled chaingunners...

Doctor Faust said:

Yes, this nick was inspired by Goethe's Faust.

Wow. Did you read the german version? Both parts of the series, or only the first?

Well the question wasn't directed at me, but:

A few weeks ago I acquired and read an 1843 edition. Illustrations of Goethe's Faust by Moritz Retzsch. It's not a full translation and is only referred to as a careful abstract. The most striking scenes are translated into blank verse and connected by detailed description in prose.

I'll have to try to find another more faithfully translated English version.

pritch said:

We all know Phobos's orbit will be saved by the UAC anyway...

Shame about Deimos, though, it getting sent to Hell and all.

Danarchy said:

Shame about Deimos, though, it getting sent to Hell and all.

I don't care. I cannot, for all the effort of Hercules, see the little fucker through my (£300) telescope.

Mars is just too bright.