Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 -- Fixed version released!

Give it another few days. Its better to release a delayed but polished project than an on-time incomplete one.

..As long as we don't meet the full year mark. I remember when people were saying that an October release date would be far too late. :P

@Butts: I think it would be preferable if you were to make the changes yourself :). I don't know if Jodwin would mind doing so but he has been pretty busy fixing up a bunch of the other maps.

@Mik57: I was actually thinking of extending it to the end of March. How would that work out guys? Anywho, I got to have a deadline in place, otherwise I'll keep putting off and putting off and putting off. I'm a really good procrastinator :P.

Hey, I finished the tweaking of the map. Should I send my map only to Mechadon, or Kyka? And what info do I have to send?

Hey I saw the overflow project just now... Just for future reference, with me, permission is always granted.

And this is coming out tomorrow? Or are people still not done?

Sorry for posting twice in a row.

Looks like it's moved to March 31st. Ah well, we've come a long ways. No need to rush it now and overlook the little things.

Yea, POTGIESSER is right. I moved it to the 31st, I just haven't officially announced it yet. It could get bumped again since I thought testing would be finished by now...and I'm waiting on a couple other things.

MAP 25 "Diminished Apparatus" by Mechadon

Texture/detailing:

This door should imo be an 'open once stay' door. Going up and down on the lift and having to continuously trigger this door while fighting monsters is kinda annoying, especially if you are trying to make a fast retreat.

SUBJECTIVE: I gotta admit I was not a big fan of using a green stair texture with a brown flat. (eg here and here. I think it would look better all brown, but this is my opinion and is not a definite right/wrong. Looking at the level closely, it uses a lot of texture schemes that really should not work together, but somehow really do work pretty well. Imo, this was not one of them.

The silver upper texture on this screenie could use an alignment. the same goes for the other one of these right near the start of the level.

The sides of this little silver square thing would be better brown rather than silver.

gameplay:

The spectre in this little alcove should be awake before the door in front of it is raised. Otherwise it just stands there and gets shot. (I guess just a little sound tunnel or something so that he leaps out at you as soon as you hit the switch to open that door.

You could safely remove this box of shotty shells. (At least on UV), I had way too many shells by the time I got here.

Also, I would give the backpack earlier in the level. Otherwise i found myself having to waste a lot of shells/ bullets coz I was nearly full, and had to walk over areas that I couldn't avoid picking up boxes of ammo.

Spoiler

This little ledge that you have to negotiate is very narrow and diffcult to get around. Perhaps just a touch wider would make it easier. (Unless it was necessary to keep it this narrow so the player could still 'reach' the switch that is just behind it.)

I think that is about it. :)

Sorry if this testing is taking a while too Mech. I am getting through it as fast as i can, while still being thorough. My sucky internet is capped for the month, so uploading pics at the moment is no fun at all. :(.

Kyka said:

My sucky internet is capped for the month, so uploading pics at the moment is no fun at all. :(.

Convert those *.png images to *.jpg image files. They are much smaller which translates into a quicker upload and a quicker view for everyone else. ;)

hawkwind said:

Convert those *.png images to *.jpg image files. They are much smaller which translates into a quicker upload and a quicker view for everyone else. ;)

heh. thanks for the tip hawkwind. :)

I turned 24 today. Birthday sex in the morning is divine. Life goes on my Doom brothers! 1024 when the world deserves it bestowed upon it!

Wow... Someone's bright eyed and bushy tailed today. Can't possibly think why that might be.

Happy birthday dude. :)

Ok. Time for some more asshattery.

Or something.

After this post, I only have 4 levels to do. (already done 29 and 30 and 31) Yaaaaay. And it's the 1st of the month, so no more capped internet for me. Why, if my flatmates and I try really hard, there's no reason why we couldn't have like, 2 weeks of uncapped internets. *Sigh* We really need a bigger plan. Anyway, who cares. To business.

MAP 25 "Diminished Apparatus" by Mechadon

really sorry to do this to you Mech, but i went through level 25 and I noticed a couple other things. (I was really tired when i went through it the first time, and figured i had better have another look.)

Textural/detailing:

Screenie There were a few of the black lines not offset in this window thing here.

Screenie The flat above this window (and the one opopsite it) could be green rather than brown. Also the two switches (the one in the screenie and the other one that opens up the exit) should be impassable imo. It makes them much easier to hit, especially when under fire from chainguners/archviles etc etc.

Gameplay:

Screenie This was the biggest thing I found. I think it is a break in the level. If you don't hit the red key switch to raise these bars, and then you make your way around to the other side of them, you will be stuck and won't be able to get out, as there are these bars that close behind you. I mean there are these bars to prevent you from getting out that way until you have hit the red key switch, but there should be some bars also lower across this door, otherwise you can just go on around the level towards the exit and get stuck on the wrong side of the red key bars.

Heh, I should have done this properly the first time around. :(

But on the bright side, that's seriously all that I could find for this level.

Sorry again dude.

MAP 25 "Forgotten Fortress" by Dutch-Devil

Not much here, just a couple of minor things.

Textural/detailing.

Screenie Needs offsetting.

Screenie Needs aligning.

screenie Could be neater. (there were a couple of places like this, but meh.)

Gameplay:

No major points.

Could use a little health for the final couple of fights. I had 15 health, and with just that I had to get through all the chaingunners and hell knights on the raised area after hitting the red key switch, and as well the final baron and 4 cacodemons to finish the level. I think there could be just 2 stimpacks or a medikit on this platform, just enough to get you through through the final fight, after surviving the fight on the walkway.

And that's it.

Ah awesome, I was waiting for feedback for MAP25 :D. The only thing I'm really worried about that you pointed out, Kyka, was the red key/bars issue. I'm not too worried about some of the texturing things you pointed out, but I will fix the ones that weren't intentional. Also, the whole green/brown thing you brought up...erm, they look the same color to me (though I have problems differentiating between similar colors). I may change it but I do think they look close enough :P. Thanks for the feedback bud!

Alright, so here's the deal regarding the release date and testing, etc etc. I commissioned Jimmy to compose two new tracks for two of my maps a while back. He's been pretty busy so it has been taking him a while to finish the tracks up completely. We're also, obviously, not completely finished with testing yet. So I've moved the release date (officially) to April 5th. Since I can't judge how long it will take to fix any maps that have bugs, etc at this time, it is possible that the date could be pushed back atleast one more time by a week or so.

Anyways, Jimmy has spring break this week I believe, so hopefully he will be able to finish them up around that time. He also kinda/sorta volunteered to contribute some music for some other maps that he listed. I sorta condensed his list down to: 20, 22, 23, 26. Three of these maps are dutch-devil's and the other one is Spertz's. So if either of you would like to have custom music in place of what your using now, just let me know.

@TGH: I'm just curious, but were you going to finish going through all of the maps like you were doing? That was very helpful since you were checking off the basic requirements and I was really looking forward to the rest of the maps being thoroughly tested like that :D

Mechadon said:

@TGH: I'm just curious, but were you going to finish going through all of the maps like you were doing? That was very helpful since you were checking off the basic requirements and I was really looking forward to the rest of the maps being thoroughly tested like that :D

I'm going to. I just haven't managed to get around to it due to various other things I got occupied with. Like, for instance, making the music for Four Square. When it's done and placed in the map, the updated copy I'll send you will also include an update to The Warp Facility.

Thank you for reminding me, though... :)

The Green Herring said:

Thank you for reminding me, though... :)

Your welcome :D. And holy crap, thanks for reminding me that your making a new track for Four Square. I forgot all about that :O

Kyka said:

Could use a little health for the final couple of fights. I had 15 health, and with just that I had to get through all the chaingunners and hell knights on the raised area after hitting the red key switch, and as well the final baron and 4 cacodemons to finish the level. I think there could be just 2 stimpacks or a medikit on this platform, just enough to get you through through the final fight, after surviving the fight on the walkway.

I never had any serious health problems to be honest, I'm not forcing anyone to stay on that ledge. I usually just backtrack inside the building and kill the cacodemens first. I did put in more health at the start of the map, cause that is imo the trickiest part.

I don't care about the few misalignments you found, its almost impossible to aviod them with all that gstone.

@Mechadon
No need for custom music, I'm happy with what I have now.

dutch devil said:

No need for custom music, I'm happy with what I have now.

We're going to have maps with the original Doom 2 music? :( Not that every map would need something original, but almost any custom song would be better than having the same ages old tunes over and over again, IMHO.

Actually his maps are using tracks from Ultimate Doom (as well as Spertz map, I believe). Which is perfectly find by me for a Doom 2 wad...I mean yea, it is much better than using the stock Doom 2 tracks (but that's just my opinion :P). I think Jimmy wanted to do something about maps that used tracks from other megawads or from the iwads. I'm pretty happy with the overall score though...and in the end it is up to the author. Right now I think only 4 maps are using stock tracks...and all of them are from Ult Doom ;)

I've been working on updating the main wad most of today. I went through and quickly tested all of the updated maps in WinMBF. There were a few hiccups but I was able to solve all of the problems pretty easily. Here are the maps that have been updated (either by the original author, a testing member, or by myself):

MAP02: Return to the Darkening
MAP03: Break the Chain
MAP05: Subterfuge 1024
MAP07: Dead In, Dead Out
MAP10: Enough Space?
MAP11: Nocturnal Abyss (wouldn't run in WinMBF; had to rebuild nodes)
MAP12: Spitshine
MAP13: Assault (STONE texture issue should be resolved now)
MAP14: Trap
MAP15: The Inmost Con'dens'ed
MAP16: Weather Station
MAP17: Transfer Base (also had to fix an unclosed sector so it would run in WinMBF)
MAP19: Nova Scotia Robots
MAP21: Power Station
MAP23: Fear No Evil (had to fix another flat issue)
MAP24: Hell Sewage
MAP25: Diminished Apparatus
MAP29: Aura of Evil
MAP30: Thanatophobia
MAP31: Skyscrape IV
MAP32: Oil Rig (I had to decrease the size of the outmost ring so the nodes would build and WinMBF would run it :P)
MAP33: Nil
I didn't realize how much updating has actually been done until I had to plop everything back into the main wad, heh. Here's a changelog of other things I've done so far:
- Resized the 256-tall skies to 240 so they now draw properly.
- Updated MAP17's credits to include Jodwin (updated CWILV16)
- Fixed typo in MAPINFO/EMAPINFO/DEHACKED for the maps "Poison Ivy" and "Bitter Sanctuary".
- Fixed the STONE texture issue.  I blarged something up, but creating a duplicate patch named STONENEW fixed the issue (had to update Joshy's map to reflect the change)
- Readded the dark grate flat; fixed the issue regarding said flat in essel's map.
- Added a new flat called GATE3FIX; updated dutch devil's map "Fear No Evil' to reflect the change.
- Added new intermission music courtesy of Jimmy91
- Added all of the udpated maps that have been sent to me thus far
- Made and added a new STGNUM# and STYSNUM# font set.
- Switched out MAP18 -> MAP11, MAP11 -> MAP16, MAP16 -> MAP18
- Updated the ENDOOM graphic
- Added some Skulltag-specific menu graphics
- Compiled the readme
- (insert something I've probably forgotten here)
And here's what I've got left to do according to my to-do list:
- Sucker someone into making a CREDIT graphic...:(
- Wait on new music for MAP05, MAP06, and MAP33
- Record some demos.
- Annoying the following people until they send in their info: Fisk, Shotgunmasacre2, pcorf, Solarn, Stewboy, StupidBunny
If there's something critical missing from that list, you guys really need to let me know. I tried to remember and then note everything I needed to fix or update but it's very likely I missed something. Just smack me around politely if so :]

Oh and uh...will someone please volunteer to make a CREDIT graphic? Purdy please?

[EDIT]

Oh, I almost forgot. Would anyone like to volunteer to do some demos (to replace the Doom 2 ones)? I'm not entirely sure how to do the demos though...can we do any 3 maps we'd like? Or do they have to replace the original demo'd maps in the Doom 2 iwad?

I'll happily record some demos, though I think it would be cool if the demos all came from different people. Y'know, the community thing and all.

But yeah, I would love to contribute a demo/s.

Sounds good Kyka :). I guess once all of the maps are considered finalized, just pick a map and then send the demo to me. I see that the Doom 2 iwad has 3 demos...so if two other guys would like to contribute one, just say so. Of course we're limited to the testing pool since no one else has access to the .wad right now :P

Double post, sorry. This is what I've gotten done today:

- Switched out MAP18 -> MAP11, MAP11 -> MAP16, MAP16 -> MAP18
- Updated the ENDOOM graphic
- Added some Skulltag-specific menu graphics
- Compiled the readme
There's not much left I can do (unless I break down and make another CREDIT graphics...bleh). All that we really lack is for testing to finish up and for folks to make updates to their maps (if needed). Also, does anyone know how I can get in touch with Fisk, Shotgunmasacre2, pcorf, Solarn, Stewboy, and/or StupidBunny? They are the only ones who haven't sent in their info and I've already PM'd all of them here twice now.

Regarding the readme, I will be including it with the pre-release build for the testers to go over thoroughly. If there's something that's missing, mispelled, or inaccurate, please let me know.

So, in summation, here's what we are lacking for a full release:

- Tester's to finish up testing/updates to maps that need them
- CREDIT graphic
- 3 Demos
- Info from that people I listed above
- Music for 3 maps

Quick quick! Let's finish up guys :D

What do you want from the CREDIT graphic? :/ I can't promise anything (quality wise), but I can try. Also, if you don't mind songs that aren't made just for Claus, I can gather a bunch of midis I don't think I've heard in Doom maps and upload, in case some of those would fit.

The CREDIT graphic that's in Congestion is really cool...something like that would be great. It has all of the mappers names written on a piece of graph paper and...well I can't really describe it that well. I tried to do one like that the first go round, but I think it came out really bad :(. But I'm open to whatever design or concept you or anyone else can come up with too.

Also, sure go right ahead and send the music! It might come in handy. If worse comes to worse then I'll just pick something from it :]

One level for now.

MAP09: Bitter Sanctuary -
* 100% Kills possible: Yes
* 100% Items possible: Yes
* 100% Secrets possible: Yes (0 secrets)
* Completable from pistol start: Yes
* Fits within 1024×1024: Yes

Spoiler

* The soul sphere "secret" is given away on the automap, even before you find it, as both of the hidden doors are a different color from the rest of the walls. Also, you can grab the soul sphere through the hidden door before you open it.
* For the lots-of-health-potions "secret," you probably ought to make a switch sound occur when you activate the hidden "switch," to let you know that something just happened. On a one-sided wall, this can be accomplished by setting the upper or lower texture as a switch texture, even if you don't see it during gameplay. Oh, and it goes without saying that both of these secrets should be marked as secret.
* When you activate the barrier that lowers slowly to reveal a teleporter, the armor bonuses directly in front of it will teleport on top of the wall and will not be accessible until the wall is almost in the floor.
* The area with the Hell Knights seems to be a little luck-based. A little more health may be suitable.
* The silhouette of the city is impressively-done. Does the entire outdoor section have to be visible on the automap, though?

One more, then I need to get to sleep.

MAP10: Enough Space? -
* 100% Kills possible: Yes
* 100% Items possible: Yes
* 100% Secrets possible: Yes
* Completable from pistol start: Yes
* Fits within 1024×1024: Yes
* To answer the question posed by the title: No. :(
* In Boom, the "space" effect produces terrifying Hall of Mirrors effects.
* The Duke Nukem 3D Access/Locked graphic doesn't make much sense as a repeatable door-opening switch.
* The barrel in the hole is visible through the floor. It also blocks your path when you run across the hall unless you're using a source port that lets you turn off "infinitely tall" actors.
* You can get caught on the hazard-striped railings around the power core. A lot.

Spoiler

* The backpack secret is given away on the automap by being a different color than the other parts of the hallway. In addition, the secret lift-door's texture does not move with the lift-door when it opens, the ceiling texture of the door sticks out like a sore thumb, and the floor texture of the door does not blend in with the alcove. Perhaps FMTSQN04 for both the ceiling and floor of that sector (sector 421) would look better.

@TGH.

Thanks for your thoughts on my map (09). You have made some good suggestions, and once I finish playtesting, (4 levels to go) I will get onto those things and make those changes.

Sorry Double post.

Map 27 "Magnum Opus" by POTGIESSER

Definitely one of my favorite maps in the entire set. Those rune/sigil things looked amazing too.

some small alignments and stuff that need neatening up, but mostly pretty good.

Screenie the metal texture on either side don't match up. the LH one is cut off.

Screenie The marble wall behind the switch needed some sides, I thought. All the other walls like this have depth, but this one looked wrong. Also, I thought that all of the transparent iron latticework textures should be offset so that they are all at the same height right around the level.

Screenie Misaligned bricks.

Screenie The marble faces could be lowered so that the bricks line up with the texture to the right.

Screenie The texture is cut off on the right.

Screenie Misaligned bricks on this little linedef.

Screenie this little linedef should be the same texture as the bricks to the right.

Screenie. These marble brick textures could be raised a few units so that they line up with the skull marble texture to the left. Or a metal border between them.

Screenie (Yeah yeah, I know, uber picky) Bolts on the two sides of this pillar not aligned.

Gameplay:

the archviles tend to raise a lot of monsters through walls which lower later in the level. Which is actually pretty cool, I will just mention it for consideration.

Spoiler

If you find the soul sphere secret, the it becomes possible to telefrag most of the barons/hell knights that come in from the top right of the map, because they all cross over the teleport exit.

And thats about it.