Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 -- Fixed version released!

As far as the arch-vile, how is the player supposed to know that there is a switch? I figured closing the window would give the player and incentive to go exploring. :p

KingKill33 said:

As far as the arch-vile, how is the player supposed to know that there is a switch? I figured closing the window would give the player and incentive to go exploring. :p

It would give the player incentive to go visit that room, IMO. ;) Or if the archvile isn't such a good idea, what about a chaingunner so that you'll have incentive to pick up the ammo it dropped. :p

I haven't managed to do any work on Four Rooms since November '08, so instead of making you wait any longer, here's what I have of the level from that time.

http://disasterlabs.com/thegreenherring/temp/TheGreenHerring-FourRooms-0.zip

The map is in a state most would consider "done," but I think the gameplay should be refined significantly, more enemies added, etc. I also wondered about possibly changing the name to "Metal Mayhem." I'll see what you guys think of the level at this time, however, before I do any more work on it.

The Green Herring said:

The map is in a state most would consider "done," but I think the gameplay should be refined significantly, more enemies added, etc. I also wondered about possibly changing the name to "Metal Mayhem." I'll see what you guys think of the level at this time, however, before I do any more work on it.

The first two rooms (starting room and shotgun guys+imps) were pretty good, although the second room could use less floor height differences in the middle. The rest of the map was pretty dull though :( since you were simply fighting the monsters through the doorway and nothing really happened in the rooms. Maybe you could try thinking over those last rooms so that the fights would be more interesting? Especially the third room has some nice potential with the stairs...and the last room has some nice cover in form of the pillars, so you wouldn't even need to change the architecture much.

I quite liked the map. The only thing I'd suggest is teleporting monsters in behind the player once they open the next door, so they're forced into the next room. Otherwise, I pretty thoroughly enjoyed the map. :D

Checkpoint time is up; I've updated the OP accordingly. Those of you who haven't shown any progress have been removed. I also moved some of the maps around...yes, I realize that there is more than 32 maps accepted at the moment :P. Eventually some maps will get bumped out and we'll be back to 32. Actually I was thinking about having 33 maps (3 secret maps...though I don't think it would be possible to legitimately reach the 33nd map in older ports). I'm not sure but we'll see; if anyone has any comments on that idea, let me know. I'm pretty sure I know which map would make the 33nd slot if so. Also I notice that some of the maps don't have new music. I would really like if you guys could use new music. I asked Jimmy91 if he could compose some tracks but I'm not sure if he'll have the time to do many. I'll probably update the OP sometime soon to note which maps don't have new music.

Also, if you haven't noticed yet (GO READ THE OP), I have set another date. This time it's the mapping deadline and it's set for Feb. 21st. If there are any problems with that date, let me know. However I will not extend the deadline past March 1st.

If your map was dropped due to this checkpoint and you want back in the list, just say something (show some progress if possible) and I'll add ya back up.

@Kyka/Stewboy: You two are working on 'Pit of Sludge' together, correct?
@esselfortim: DO YOU HAVE A NAME FOR YOUR AWESOMETATCULAR MAP YET HUH? :D

/me looks through Boards of Canada song titles

Alright, I'm calling my map Nova Scotia Robots, and there's nothing any of you can do to stop me.

Mech.

It's probably making my contribution to 'Pit of Sludge' a lot more than it was to say that we 'worked on it together.' Stewboy did the entire map, I just added a few details at the end. At any rate, it should be finalised in a few days. :)

esselfortium said:

/me looks through Boards of Canada song titles

Alright, I'm calling my map Nova Scotia Robots, and there's nothing any of you can do to stop me.

BEST MAP NAME EVER.

Sorry double post. (even though ages apart)

Mech.

I have made a few changes to "Proceed with caution", so here is an updated version. No major changes.

Changes are:

-Made it so that the map cannot be broken in co-op mode.
-Moved the weapons at the start so that they look neater
-made the lines right round the edge of the map impassable so you can't get stuck on the cages while running around.

Link: http://www.speedyshare.com/148939371.html

Also, could you or someone give me some feedback on why the map that Solarn and I did (Transfer Base) is in the overflow list? I am happy to do some work on it and resubmit it if need be.

Thanks. :)

Kyka said:

Also, could you or someone give me some feedback on why the map that Solarn and I did (Transfer Base) is in the overflow list? I am happy to do some work on it and resubmit it if need be.

Thanks. :)

Upload it, please. :)

Hmmm.

Well this is embarrassing.

I have just realized that I don't actually have the latest version of the map that Solarn and I did. I remember I sent a finished version to Solarn, then he made a few final changes and sent it on to Mech from there.

Ermmm...

Mech.

Sorry to bother you, but would you mind posting a link to whatever the latest version of "Solarn&Kyka-TransferBase-version whatever" that you have in your files? That way, I can grab it to work on, and Jodwin (or whoever else wants to take a look) can download it for some feedback.

If someone would like to try detailing my map I would appreciate the help but I don't think it will be as good as the others in this project so you may as well finish the project up without me.

Well Lord_Z, you certainly have the right man for the job. Detail is KingKill's middle name. ;)

@TGH

Have had a good play through "Metal Mayhem" (Which incidentally I think is a very appropriate title for the level, and perhaps a little more interesting than four rooms), and I gotta say, I liked it. It is a really unique, quirky little level.

Two things that stood out to me.
-A little more texture variation might work well. Not much, because obviously the design of the level is based around the fact of everything being metal. But a little more visual variation would work well, and wouldn't detract from the very hard, brutal architecture of the level
-I know you said this that you weren't satisfied with the monster placement and gameplay, And I kinda agree. There were no real surprises. It was more or less a case of kill all the monsters in the room (while using the doorway of the previous room for cover), move on to the next room, repeat. Perhaps some guys teleporting in behind you, or some monsters coming at you from a direction other than always in front of you would work. Perhaps some monsters sniping at you from across the water. I'm not sure how best to do that.

On the good side, I fully commend this level for really doing something different. The architecture is really good, very harsh, all hard edges and corners, but despite this, it didn't feel too cramped. The health and ammo balance was pretty good too. A very unique level overall.

Dreadopp said:

You're not too shabby at detailing yourself, Kyka. ;P

Thanks Bro :D

@Kyka: Check your PMs :]
@TGH: We briefly discussed your map while chatting the other day, but my feelings are pretty much the same as Kyka's. I liked the map quite a bit; the only thing I would recommend is just a bit more texture variation. Also I realize I wasn't very chatty that day...I was pretty busy. Concerning your map 'The Warp Facility', there are probably 3 or 4 maps which are vying for the MAP01 slot. I need to play them and decide, but more than likely your map will take MAP01.

Mechadon said:

I need to play them and decide

Yeah, because this isn't a community project, its a community project as filtered by the arbitrary opinion of mech.

gggmork said:

Yeah, because this isn't a community project, its a community project as filtered by the arbitrary opinion of mech.

Oh my god, a community project being filtered for quality by the person running it?! That's...draconian! So much so, in fact, that it's exactly like all other community projects that are worth playing!

I'm sorry, but you must not have read the guidelines regarding this project, gggmork. As such, if you had a problem with how I was running the project, you had many opportunities to remove yourself from the project completely. Instead you waited until the project is almost finished to try and stir up drama. This project has seen enough of that, thanks.

Ummm.

Here is the map that Solarn and I did. If anyone would like to have a little play and make some suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I am happy to make changes to it, at least give it a fighting chance of inclusion.

Thanks guys. (And thanks Mech for sending this version to me.)

http://www.speedyshare.com/769476613.html

Mechadon said:

I'm sorry, but you must not have read the guidelines regarding this project, gggmork.

That's not really fair, since the original guidelines weren't "your map will only be included if mech and friends like it". :P

Where does it say that in the guidelines? I haven't changed anything in the guidelines since the project was officially restarted; everyone who submitted a map knew (or should have known) that there was no guarantee that their map would make it into the final wad. The first go round of Claustrophobia didn't have much of a quality control mechanic in place, and as a result the end-product was borderline unplayable. 32in24 does the exact same thing (actually, essel is the one who gave me the idea) and the quality of work in those projects is pretty good given they are community made.

Also, "mech and friends" aren't really the ones deciding what's accepted and what's sent into the overflow. Mind you, this is what I had originally planned on doing; I wanted some of the more experience mappers in the community to help give feedback since I couldn't do it all on my own. The idea wasn't to pick-and-chose maps because a small group of mappers deemed it so just to spite the author(s). In fact, most of the decisions I've made about which maps are accepted have come from the feedback I've gotten from just about everyone who has helped test maps in this thread. I'm glad I decided that it was ok for contributors to release their work to the public; that's the best way to get immediate and varied feedback. For everything else I've made the judgments myself, and most of the maps in question are from the Claus alpha. I'm sorry if no one likes the way I'm handling quality control, but this is pretty much the only way to ensure that any sort of community-based project is enjoyable to play. Up until now no one has complained or bitched or moaned about their maps being dropped. I've tried to be as polite and helpful as I can to those who had their map sent into overflow, and for the most part everyone has been civil and understanding about it. As a result, the accepted maps are 10x better than what would have been in the Claus alpha. But I don't understand what gggmork's problem is; he's the only one who really has really complained. Does everyone else feel the same way too?

In the end though, I am managing this project and I do get the last word on what goes and what doesn't. That doesn't mean that I'm going to close up and not listen to everyone's opinion and be open to ideas. I think I've done a pretty good job of that so far. If not, then please let me know and I'll try to improve.

And that's that.

Whats wrong with quality control? community projects really need more of this.You know how it goes, as soon as this project would be released without any form of quality control, people start complaining about the quality of some of the maps.