Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

2002 A Doom Odyssey Bug?

I am playing 2002 A Doom Odyssey (the most recent version dated from 2004) and am on Episode 2 when I noticed this strange malfunction. Using a version of ZDoom dated February 14, 2008, well after the release of 2002ado, the exit which I found on E2M4 that is supposed to lead to the super secert level (E5M1) according to http://www.geocities.com/doomod2001/ (see near end of 1 September 2002 news post) takes you to E2M9 instead which, when finished, leads back to E2M6, skipping E2M5. I loaded a save game at the end of E2M4 and took the normal exit to E2M5 instead. On E2M5, I found the secret exit that is supposed to lead to the normal E2 secret level (E2M9), but this one takes you to the bonus map (E5M1) which when finished, leads right back to E2M5, making you replay that level. It seems as if the secret exits on E2M4 and E2M5 are reversed as to which secret level they lead to, but the exits off the secret levels take you back to the proper map as if this had been set up correctly. Does anyone else have this problem (be sure you have the most recent version of the wad when testing for the problem), and if so, can this problem be corrected in an update to the wad?

Interesting, I've never encountered that in my many play-throughs of that Wad.

EDIT: Wow, Can't believe I never noticed that before. Happens to me too. I still think the exit on E5M1 is supposed to take you back to E2M5 though, but I could be wrong. The whole E2M9 skipping E2M6 is kind of interesting though.

MegaZzZeux said:

Interesting, I've never encountered that in my many play-throughs of that Wad.

I do not believe that this bug was present in the 2002 version. If you were not using the 2004 version, please upgrade and test it out.

MegaZzZeux said:

This is the 2004 version.

The wad I am using is obtained from http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/megawads/2002ado.zip and the wad file is dated 7/30/2004. My zdoom.exe is dated 2/14/2008 andcan be downloaded at http://zdoom.org/files/zdoom/2.2/zdoom-2.2.0.zip. Do these match with you? (If either doesn't, please use the link to download). Also, please try the secret exits on E2M4 and E2M5 again and see if you get this problem. Thanks.

I seem to remember The Green Herring mentioning something about this to me a while ago. It has a MAPINFO set up for ZDoom, but the secret maps are set to take you back to the wrong level accidentally. :\

esselfortium said:

I seem to remember The Green Herring mentioning something about this to me a while ago. It has a MAPINFO set up for ZDoom, but the secret maps are set to take you back to the wrong level accidentally. :\

Exactly. In fact, when I was looking up how this happened, I ended up coming across a thread in which problems with version 2's MAPINFO were discussed. In that thread, you can see Graf Zahl suggest switching the secret exit ("secretnext") destinations around, as it made more sense to him for the Heretic-style room (in E2M4) to lead to the Heretic-style map (E2M9,) and Chris Hansen did this for version 3. Problem is, he neglected to change the secret levels' "next" definitions to match, so instead of E2M9 sending you to E2M5 and E5M1 sending you to E2M6, it's the other way around. Thus, as Brandon mentioned, you end up skipping E2M5 once you finish E2M9, and finishing E5M1 causes you to be brought back to the same level you entered it from. End result: You can't play both secret levels during a single run.

I was actually considering posting about this, but I wasn't sure anybody would care. Heh. It's easy to fix by looking in the wad's MAPINFO lump using the WAD editor of your choice, and editing the aforementioned "next" and "secretnext" definitions. Whether you return the definitions to the pre-V3 ones, or correct the error with the "next" definitions is up to you. Nevertheless, I'm surprised this bug wasn't noticed until now in the four years since version 3 was released.

The Heretic style thing does make sense. Now that the bug has come back up, can arrangements be made for an updated version to appear on /idgames (ask Paul or Chris's permission), because it isn't really right to make you fix the bug yourself after downloading the wad, nor is it right to leave a discovered, easily fixable bug in unfixed (better late then never, and I don't know how to edit and fix the problem or upload the new version myself)?