Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nems

Epic to focus on console gaming.

I dunno how many have read this article already, but for those of you who haven't, here it is:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33095

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/627543/cliff_bleszinski_bashes_pc_gaming_future.html

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51354

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199138.html

From the articles I read, it sounds like to me CliffyB's doing a whole lot of BAWWWWW-ing and taking the easy way out by focusing on console gaming instead of trying to come up with ways to beat back causal gaming on the PC.

And honestly, I thought it was the consoles that were more geared towards causal gaming, so I thought CliffyB had it backwards. Of course, I could be wrong on this and I'd appreciate it if someone would correct me if indeed I'm wrong.

Your links are broken.

Plus I guess that means Quake VI Arena won't have any competitors unless Valve decides to do a multiplayer-only game...

MikeRS said:

Your links are broken.

Plus I guess that means Quake VI Arena won't have any competitors unless Valve decides to do a multiplayer-only game...

You mean other than CS:S, DOD:S, or TF2?

Gaming companies are doing a fine job of killing off PC gaming. All that invasive DRM does absolutely nothing to stop piracy, leaving all the negatives for the legitimate consumers. That, combined with the sad state of quality control and the ever-present hardware churn makes PC gaming a bit of a chore.

I have a hard time imagining it will die completely, but any game that is a PC exclusive is basically throwing money away.

MikeRS said:

Your links are broken.

Fixed the first two. The last two are working for me.

Digital Restrictions Mismanagement is killing games, but they'll blame it on piracy, in a stream of Orwellian double-speak. Just watch. They pretend like they have no choice in the matter when they have all the choice in the world. PC games have been made, and pirated, for decades without destroying the industry. It is only now, in the wake of these technologies they want to use to do MORE than prevent piracy - they want to control and spy on you, the user, in ways that are not even legal and deprive you of your rights, for purposes of profit - that this is suddenly such an issue.

All DRM must end. It is a threat to free society.

http://defectivebydesign.org

CliffyB has always been a bawww'er, so thats no surprise there. Also I truely hate console gamers and I always will hate it. Unfortuently, its the new 'trend' for gaming companies so its something that people will have to accept, one way or another..

I hate playing games on consoles.

EDIT: BTW, if he don't see how GoW was much more enjoyable on PC than on console. Then he's fucking retarded.

Though, Rainbow Six Vegas was a lot more enjoyable than GoW period.

Quasar said:

Digital Restrictions Mismanagement is killing games, but they'll blame it on piracy, in a stream of Orwellian double-speak. Just watch. They pretend like they have no choice in the matter when they have all the choice in the world. PC games have been made, and pirated, for decades without destroying the industry. It is only now, in the wake of these technologies they want to use to do MORE than prevent piracy - they want to control and spy on you, the user, in ways that are not even legal and deprive you of your rights, for purposes of profit - that this is suddenly such an issue.

All DRM must end. It is a threat to free society.

As an employee of a company that makes all its money on DRM, i could not agree more. Quoted for truth and justice.

Quasar said:

Digital Restrictions Mismanagement is killing games, but they'll blame it on piracy, in a stream of Orwellian double-speak. Just watch. They pretend like they have no choice in the matter when they have all the choice in the world. PC games have been made, and pirated, for decades without destroying the industry. *snip*

If a game doesn't have a $5 million budget, I'd be inclined to agree with you. Otherwise, I feel we've gotten past the era of developers depending on piracy for international exposure; we've got this whole internet thing now.

So yeah. If you like your dev houses stagnant and you don't want to see a AAA title ever again, then by all means defend piracy.

If a company absolutely has to include DRM, I would like it if it was as unrestrictive as possible. Limiting the number of installs is just bullshit.

Snarboo said:

If a company absolutely has to include DRM, I would like it if it was as unrestrictive as possible. Limiting the number of installs is just bullshit.

I think DRM is just a money making thing, i think i saw a youtube video a while ago where somebody showed how to bypass the DRM that came with the PC version of Mass Effect, the only thing he did was doing something with the game files where the game installed and it took about 15-30 seconds for him to do so. I REALLY don't think the gaming company's and publishers are not aware of how easy it is for pirates to get past DRM, i mean they aren't brain dead. So it has to be a money making thing.

Bucket said:

If a game doesn't have a $5 million budget, I'd be inclined to agree with you. Otherwise, I feel we've gotten past the era of developers depending on piracy for international exposure; we've got this whole internet thing now.

So yeah. If you like your dev houses stagnant and you don't want to see a AAA title ever again, then by all means defend piracy.

Nothing I said was defending piracy. DRM is not a solution to piracy; it is a means of consumer control and product lifetime reduction.

And all companies overstate their losses due to piracy. A lot of people simply aren't going to buy a game, whether they can get it free or not. Stamping out all piracy in the world wouldn't force these people to buy the game, and thus counting their pirated copy as some massive loss to the company is an inverted version of the kind of bogus nonsense economics that have lead to the banks crashing, and keep multi-billion-dollar trusts like RIAA claiming they're going broke.

david_a said:
I have a hard time imagining it will die completely, but any game that is a PC exclusive is basically throwing money away. [/B]

I can easily see the commercial PC gaming market going the way of the dodo (or at least, giving us absolutely nothing but half-arsed console ports), but there'll always be indie, freeware, and user-made mods.

Given that these things are often better than commercial games anyway (I've lost count of how many Doom 2 mods there are which are better than the original game), it won't really be that much of a loss IMHO.

PC/Console gaming solution: Just play everything emulated on a PC. You'll be 10 years behind everyone else, but you'll get the best of both worlds.

Or, to actually post on topic, support and care toward PC versions of games developed for both consoles and PC is getting worse and worse. The console versions seem to take priority. This trend is saddening.