• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Fun with Ports

Up until this point, the only souce ports I use are:

Chocolate Doom: for playing classic maps and getting the "classic feel"

PrBoom+: I really only use this to watch demos

GZDoom/ZDoom: I use these to play most wads and this is the only engine I currently am making any mods for. This is really the only port I use extensively and on a regular basis.

EDGE: only use this for QDoom really

These are the only ports on my computer, and I am looking for a little bit more variety. I'm looking for some good ports and port-specific mods.

I'm curious about Eternity and Legacy. Are there any quality port specific mods for either of these? More or less the "magnum opus" of these ports, the way QDoom is to EDGE, or KDiZD to ZDoom...

Patrick Pineda said:

I'm curious about Eternity and Legacy. Are there any quality port specific mods for either of these?

More or less the "magnum opus" of these ports, the way QDoom is to EDGE, or KDiZD to ZDoom...

For Legacy there's Nimrod and Hi-Tech Hell 2. But both work with GZDoom so they are not quite Lagacy exclusive. Still, both outstanding WADs that shouldn't be missing in anyone's collection.
And then there's Phobia (which doesn't run in GZDoom) I can't say anything about its quality though. It looks outstanding but Legacy has too many issues and is far too unstable so I wouldn't ever bother using it for anything anymore.

For Eternity - well - both of the showcase projects are still an *Eternity* away from release (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun. :D) I'd like to see it put to good use myself.

Patrick Pineda said:

I am looking for a little bit more variety. I'm looking for some good ports and port-specific mods.

I'm curious about Eternity and Legacy. Are there any quality port specific mods for either of these?

For source ports, you could try- Delphi, Doomsday Engine (1.8.6 is the last stable release) and/or Vavoom.

There's a swag of wads written/modified for Legacy on this site.

I've run through most of the source ports available, at least ones available up to one or two years ago and I always come back to ZDoom. I'm not sure if it's what one could call the most powerful source port, but it does have an excellent feature set and it even plays a few of my wads from back in the day that would crash vanilla Heretic with visplane errors. And as far as all the nifty things you can do with the added ACC stuffs, level editing for ZDoom is by far the most rewarding.

One thing I do wish they would consider would be to code support for HHE and HEX executable patch files. I've read the reasoning on why Randy won't touch that task, however, and I can understand why. Still, it'd be nice to have the convenience of applying those patches for Heretic and Hexen in much the same way one can apply DeHackEd patches with the -deh parameter...

Lich said:

One thing I do wish they would consider would be to code support for HHE and HEX executable patch files. I've read the reasoning on why Randy won't touch that task, however, and I can understand why. Still, it'd be nice to have the convenience of applying those patches for Heretic and Hexen in much the same way one can apply DeHackEd patches with the -deh parameter...

It will never happen. The underlying data is mostly no longer there.

Right, and a lot of the same behaviors can be mimicked via other ways in ZDoom by either scripting or console commands.