Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Problems with PrBoom and PrBoom-plus

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with what I jokingly call the PrBoom series (PrBoom and PrBoom-plus). Basically, for some weird reason, when in gameplay it will randomly exit. When I used a music wad in PrBoom-plus, it did this right when I clicked on 'New Game'. I'm wondering what are the possible reasons for doing this. I would really like to know how to fix this because I have grown a fondness to these perticular source ports.

Thanks in advance.

Could you give us a bit more info- your system specs, the version/release numbers of the ports and the names of some wads you were playing at the time. Does it happen more often with the Software or GL renderer?

I have windows xp. I used PrBoom 2.4.7 and PrBoom Plus 2.4.8.5. I was playing mainly doom.wad v1.2 and doom.wad v1.9 (not ultimate although I downgraded them from ultimate doom). The one music wad in perticular that i was using was the prjdoom.wad. I'm not too sure about the computer's prossecer because I didn't buy it and the one who did (my mother) doesn't know jack shit about computers.

Spiderdemon6669 said:

PrBoom Plus 2.4.8.5

You can try to send me your cfgs (glboom-plus.cfg, prboom-plus.cfg) and stdout.txt after 'randomly exit'

Are there any messages before these exits?

Please do not post multiple times in a row. If you have other comments to add, do so by editing your post.

Spiderdemon6669 said:

I was playing mainly doom.wad v1.2 and doom.wad v1.9 (not ultimate although I downgraded them from ultimate doom).

W_GetNumForName: M-EPI4 not found

Fixed?

Quasar said:

Please do not post multiple times in a row. If you have other comments to add, do so by editing your post.

I apologize, it won't happen again.

BTW: Thank you, entryway. This version works great! You are a godsend

entryway: seems to have a bug. I have a dummy player 1 scrolling on a floor to trigger linedefs. In prboom 2.4.8.3-beta the dummy scrolls exactly the same speed as the floor as normal. In 2.4.8.6.test, the floor still scrolls the same speed but the dummy only moves about 1/8 the floor speed (dummy moves slower than floor).

gggmork said:

entryway: seems to have a bug. I have a dummy player 1 scrolling on a floor to trigger linedefs. In prboom 2.4.8.3-beta the dummy scrolls exactly the same speed as the floor as normal. In 2.4.8.6.test, the floor still scrolls the same speed but the dummy only moves about 1/8 the floor speed (dummy moves slower than floor).

I do not believe you :) Where is the test wad and demo?

EDIT: Works just fine with my quick test (action 253)

EDIT: disregard all below, problem was compatibility level.

I tried 3 times and got the same result (but yeah, I suck at computers so maybe its just something retarded on my end).

Well, if you feel like reproducing what I saw, download this:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7gfsev
Then drag/drop both of the included files simultaneously into prboom; a separate test for 2.4.8.3 beta and then again in 2.4.8.6.test (i'd make a demo but I don't know how due to the stupid texture pack).

To see the dummy player 1 scrolling, do this: turn on iddqd and idclip, then simply run straight forward without turning at all until you're immediately in front of a giant devil eye (obvious). Shoot the eye with the pistol, then immediately turn 90 degrees to the right, and run straight until you're barely clipped outside the wall. Then, a bit to the left you'll see the dummy player 1 moving (moves normal speed in 2.4.8.3 but much slower in 2.4.8.6).

Or don't bother since for some reason I suspect it will work just fine for you and computers toy with me out of spite.

gggmork said:

I'd make a demo but I don't know how due to the stupid texture pack

You just need to put both wads in the command line that you use to record.

For instance:

glboom-plus 1024TXv03 my1024theRealOneggg -complevel 9 -warp 01 -skill 4 -record scrltest

That is, whatever your normal command line would be, but with both wads included in it. I'd guess this is a settings issue rather than a code issue, so a demo would be useful. Use -complevel 9 in both versions and see if there is any difference.

Erg, my fault (big surprise). Just ignore all my posts and you'll save yourself a lot of time :)

It was the compatibility level (I already had 2.4.8.3 set to 9 as the default but also had to change 2.4.8.6 from -1 to 9).

But that demo/texture pack line should come in handy. I tried that before actually (the subtle reason why it didn't work for me was I put an extra '-' in front of the texture pack file also, so now I know not to include that a second time, and yeah just tried and it worked).