Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

EsselTX 1: Completely new textures! (Work in progress) - Updated 10/27/08...again!

A few weeks ago I started working on some new textures for fun. I was happy with how they turned out and people seemed to like them, so I tried making some more. There's not much more of a story to these than that, really, heh.

There's somewhere around 50 textures (plus matching flats) in the set currently. I have some vague ideas of some things I'd like to try making in the future, but if anyone has any specific ideas or requests I'll see what I can do. (Though I can't make any promises; I don't really have a ton of experience with this, I just mess with stuff until it seems to work :P)

There are some of them I'm still not entirely happy with, but I'm tired of tweaking them for now so I guess I'll just see what everybody else thinks. :)

Here's a download link to the current version of the wad:
http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/esseltex.zip
(UPDATED: 10/27/08) (again!)

I did a little one-room test map a while back to show off some of the textures. While it doesn't show off everything in the wad, it should hopefully give a general indication of the style and quality:
http://sl4.poned.com/screens/esseltex/esseltex2.png
The screenshot was taken in ZDoom, using textures as flats, but 64x64 flat versions of the floors and ceilings seen there are also in the wad. You could also convert any of the textures into 128x128 or 256x256 large flats for use with ports that support them, such as Legacy or Eternity.

Enjoy!

<Philippe> very naise i am borat bot

But seriously, these textures look really good. Hopefully they get put to good use in some upcoming projects!

These look great man, you did an awesome job! I hope to see more; in particular maybe a horizontal/vertical trim version of the METLSL# texture (maybe with and without the rivets) would be cool. Some new skies would be very nice. Oh and some lights of varying flavors would be nice too!

I have a handful of homemade textures that I've used here and there that I could contribute if you'd like; your welcome to alter them in any way you see fit. Just let me know and I'll send them your way. I thought about doing a texture pack of my own one day, but I just don't have the patience :P.

Thanks Mech, glad you like them! I'll look into doing some lights and some more metal variants.

And while I appreciate the offer, at the moment I'm just working on this on my own. I'm not really sure if I want to add textures from you or other people into what I was really intending to be my own personal project. <_<

Not that I'm saying your textures aren't good enough though, if it sounded that way. :|

No no, that makes prefect sense. I was just trying to find an opportunity to get rid of some of these textures I made so they wouldn't rot on my harddrive :P. Though who knows, I may get around to starting a personal texture project of mine own...though I highly doubt that will happen. The offer is still there if you want them in the future!

Anyways, whenever you happen to make some lights and stuff, I may use these in a 1024 map I'm currently working on. Some new textures would definitely spruce of the overused texture set I'm currently using. Though I don't think I can do a whole lot without some lighting, so I'll bide my time and wait and see if you happen to make some soon.

aaahh

yeah.

*me downloads*

good stuff! make moar!

they really are nice, im dying to see more of those metal textures, and i really liked the clean marbly/bricky textures a lot too. the wood was also well done. i love the grittyness of some of those textures too.

Hell yes. I love that screenshot in the OP! Solid medieval stone and brick textures cannot be too abundant. I'm at work (ssh) so I have to wait until tonight or tomorrow to download this stuff and check it out.

Spatter some blood on a few of those ala the wooden door textures in Doom II and you've got a fan in me. :)

Lots of different mid-styled textures, like fences, arches, cages, etc. would be awesome.

Alright, so here's what's on the list so far of potential things to add. Some of these are from requests, others are just things I'm hoping to accomplish:

- More support and trim textures
- Rivetless versions of the metal textures
- Doors
- Rocks, grass, and dirt
- Gratings, railings, window frames, etc. midtextures
- Lights
- More horizontal-bar textures of varying heights
- Blood stains
- Some simple "runes" for detailing/decoration usage, since I don't have the artistic skills to draw anything complicated :P

I can't guarantee that all of these will actually get done, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again, everybody! :D

These are nice. I don't know if you are working in the Doom palette or if you are working in true colour then converting - if it's the second, would you be able to provide non-Doom palette versions so that they could be used in any game, not just Doom?

are these entirely original? these would look great for the FreeHeretic project

Enjay said:

These are nice. I don't know if you are working in the Doom palette or if you are working in true colour then converting - if it's the second, would you be able to provide non-Doom palette versions so that they could be used in any game, not just Doom?

I'm working in the Doom palette and then converting, but I have to admit that a number of them depend on the palettization to get the desired colors and color patterns, and some of them have elements which are palettized early on in order to get the colors and shading right...

Patrick Pineda said:

are these entirely original? these would look great for the FreeHeretic project

Yeah, they're all original. Some of the bricks were originally created for Heretic, in fact, before I switched them over to Doom. If the FreeHeretic or FreeDoom guys want to use anything from this, they have my full permission. :D

Here's the old Heretic wad, with all the Heretic-based textures removed from it (thus, everything in it is 100% original): http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/heretex2-clean.wad

And it should of course also be possible to translate the other textures, that have been made more recently for Doom's palette, to something that looks good in Heretic as well.

These all look pretty darn alright!

If you want a real challenge, in addition to all the other requests on your list, I can't help but observe that there aren't many flesh textures in the Doom texture repertory. A new set of creepy organic textures, not made to match Doom's SKIN* textures but a brand new theme would be neat.

Yeah, good stuff there. I agree some signs of use, filth or gore always help enhance the atmosphere, especially since imps with mops aren't generally part of the game.

Creaphis said:
A new set of creepy organic textures, not made to match Doom's SKIN* textures but a brand new theme would be neat.

No, those are immoral!

myk said:

Yeah, good stuff there. I agree some signs of use, filth or gore always help enhance the atmosphere, especially since imps with mops aren't generally part of the game.

True, but it depends on the atmosphere you're going for. Some mods gain their surreal air from how strangely clean and bright everything is.

myk said:

No, those are immoral!

uh, okay

Creaphis said:
uh, okay

Don't tell me a guy who sends puns to extra-terrestrials doesn't get the reference there!

Edit (see below): It's nothing really, just being facetious about some stuff on the thread in EE.

PS to Spleen: Read the private message I sent you.

myk said:

Don't tell me a guy who sends puns to extra-terrestrials doesn't get the reference there!

I'm trying to get it, I really am!

After a bit of experimentation, I've come up with what I think is a pretty decent-looking satyr face, which could be used as either a switch or decoration. It ended up looking somewhat Chinese, but hey, whatever works I guess :P

I created the facial features as a displacement map, and used Photoshop's "Lighting Effects" filter to apply them to the face. It worked out pretty well I think, though it was rather confusing and involved a lot of trial and error.

These textures have a clean look that I like a lot. Would you mind describing your method for creating these?

jute gyte said:

These textures have a clean look that I like a lot. Would you mind describing your method for creating these?

Thanks! To be honest, I don't really have any standardized method...so I'm not sure where to start...

I do tend to use some combination of Clouds, Fibers, and Add Noise to create the background of a texture, and often draw some scribbles on top of that at varying opacities in a separate layer (often with the layer's Blending Options set to 0% fill opacity, with custom bevel/emboss settings to make the scribbles look like indented scratches).