Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

Strange errors, please help

I made 2 new maps resently and when i try to run map 02 in Risen3d everything works just fine and in the editor (doom builder) everything seems fine too. No errors show up.
But then when i load it in prboom i get so many errors i dont know where to start.

If anyone have an idea of what is wrong and how to fix it, please tell me.
There is also a error in map 1 in the outside area. Some parts of the floor and ceiling will just get HOM effect for no apperant reason.

Please check these maps and tell me how i can fix this.

download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/41hpz7

Your maps don't seem to have any errors I checked them in doom builder and played both of them with prboom.Both of them ran fine without any errors, it must be an problem with your version of prboom.

I use prboom+ and gl.
could that have something to do with it?

*well i tried now without gldoom and the errors were gone, they still exist in gl mode however.

I dont know what port most of u use but i play all maps in risen3d and never get any errors. i still test how the map works in vanilla doom using prboom.

I still get the "unknown thing type" error in each of the maps.
Dont know what that means really.

The unknown thing type is the 3d mode thing you forgot to remove, I just played the map in glboom and noticed the errors.

Appearantly glboom doesn't like it when textures that are smaller than 128 pixels in height are being used on walls that are taller than the height of the texture itself.Also on map02 the hom's you get in one of the outside areas can be easily fixed by deleting the sectors you used to make those light pillars.

To create an solid pillar draw an square in your map and press delete, don't lower ceilings or raise floors to make one.

I guess u mean the light pillars in map01?
But what do u mean to press delete? wont that just delete the sector?

how should i fix the HOM error in outside area then?

I just tried it with Gzdoom and the map was fine there too.
Guess i have to tell people not to play the maps in prdoom gl when i release the mapset.

bullsquid said:

how should i fix the HOM error in outside area then?

Deleting those sectors will fix the hom's, the sectors you use for the lights along the wall are causing the hom's.

http://www.filesavr.com/daniel4

Some of the light pillars had a second sidedef. Linedefs that are a part of a solid wall should never have two sidedefs. Deleting the offending sidedefs and putting a middle texture on the front sidedef fixed them. Deleting the actual sectors themselves were not necessary. And as stated, the unknown thing was your 3D camera start thingy.

Oh yeah, and you should probably look at the Doom Wiki about some common mapping errors (limitations), like Tutti-fruity, Medusa, and HOM so you can understand what causes such errors.

It won't remove the light pillars. Deleting sectors within sectors will remove some unneccessary single-sided linedefs while leaving the vertices intact. Once you've finished deleting sectors, switch to Lines mode and delete the double-sided lines at the back of the light pillars - problem solved.

Damn - EarthQuake has snuck in before me with another solution.

I tried doing what u said but i still get the same error.
The version you posted works fine. What am i doing wrong?

bullsquid said:

But if i delete that the area will not look as good.

Deleting those sectors won't have any affect on the appearance of that area.

Go into sector mode and select all of these sectors marked in red, and press delete.

Go into linedef mode and select all lines marked in red, and press delete.

Now safe your map and test it in glboom, if done correctly the errors should be gone.

You don't need to do that. That cuts down the amount of detail in the map without directly addressing the problem. See the linedefs in the above screenshots that Dutch Devil deleted? Go to each one of those and see which ones have a second sidedef defined. Doom Builder should have some sort of ability to delete a sidedef from a linedef (if not, god help us). You want to delete the back/second sidedef and not the linedef.

A linedef is a line. A sidedef is a side. A linedef can have one or two sidedefs. but one-sided lines (ones that make up the outer border of your map), should never have two sides. The little "tick" on the linedef shows you which side is which, and you should be able to go to that linedefs properties dialog and change the sidedef information.

I'm sorry. Actually I should have taken a closer look. The sectors in question do indeed come to the ceiling. But from the looks of the top west-most pillar, they were supposed to be at heights (floor 208, ceiling 216).

Bullsquid, if you want all the pillars to behave like the first one with the above sector heights, do what I did and then adjust the sector heights of the broken light pillars, otherwise, you can get away with just deleting all the sectors like Dutch Devil suggested.