Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

Sky textures

I can only select one sky texture to use for ceilings, the texture is F_SKY1 but i want to have a different sky on some maps but no other sky texture shows up, however if i choose a wall texture both SKY1 SKY2 and SKY3 show up but i can only use them for walls and then the texture wont act as a sky texture but just looks like a regular wall with painting on.

Which port are you mapping for?

Regardless, F_SKY1 is just a representation of the sky, not an actual sky texture. In some ports, such as ZDoom, you can define the sky you want to use on a certain map through various means (you can do it in ZDoom through MAPINFO or with a skybox..check the ZDoom wiki). If your mapping for vanilla Doom you can't really change which sky you want to use other than changing the map number. From there if you wanted to use a custom sky texture you would have to import it into your .wad using the correct patch name so that it will replace the one used on whichever map number you choose. The only other way I've defined custom sky textures is via the Boom action:

- Create a dummy sector outside of your map.
- Give one line of that dummy sector line special 271.
- Set the line's upper texture (yes, upper texture) to the sky texture you want to use.
- Give the line a sector tag, and tag all sky-ceiling areas of your map with the same number.
- If you need to use multiple tags in outdoor areas, for lifts or whatever, you'll need to split your sky-transfer line into one line for each number and tag them accordingly.

While it doesn't work in Boom, it works in pretty much every other Boom-compatible released sourceport...or so I've been told.

To clarify:

Doom, by default, has one sky texture for maps 1-10, one sky texture for 11-20, and a third sky texture for 21-30, 31 and 32. If you want two maps within one of these numerical groups to have different skies, or if you want multiple skies within a single map, then you need to use advanced port features.

The line special that Mechadon mentions, action 271, was first added in the MBF port (which was based on the Boom port), and modern Boom-compatible source ports all support this line action as well, even though Boom itself doesn't.

Is that like saying "she's only a woman" or "well, he's black"? :p

Besides, he got the basic facts right, but the habit of calling it a Boom feature remains, which in the end just makes people have to give longer explanations; "the Boom feature that's not really in Boom but..."

It's considered a Boom feature because all Boom ports that are modern and relevant, and even some older ones, support it. It works in Eternity, PrBoom, PrBoom-Plus, ZDoom, GZDoom, MBF, WinMBF, SMMU, and probably others. The likelihood that someone in 2008 is going to use something other than one of those first 5 ports listed to play a Boom release is slim to none, and even then it wouldn't prevent them from playing the map.

Thus, it's much easier to just call it a Boom-compatible feature with a slight exception and be done with it. :P

Creaphis said:

Mech's from the Skulltag forum. Cut him some slack.

If only I could use that excuse in real life :(

Also, what essel said.

myk said:

Is that like saying "she's only a woman" or "well, he's black"? :p

That is actually how I meant it. >:D

myk said:

Besides, he got the basic facts right, but the habit of calling it a Boom feature remains, which in the end just makes people have to give longer explanations; "the Boom feature that's not really in Boom but..."

Indeed - the feature formerly known as an MBF action.

What you're showing there is the reason for the misconception (which is not really what esselfortium said above); the Doom Builder Boom configuration file. I'm sure CodeImp will have more accurate files for v2.0, including a generic one for advanced engines (which would include Boom stuff plus other additions that most source ports have).

It's not a Boom feature regardless of mistakes or justifications because for one it's reasonable to assume people may be interested in actually editing with true Boom behavior just like others favor full vanilla behavior, because naming it properly gives proper credit, and because we prefer accurate information over misconceptions.

I'm not chiding you for not having that in mind, Mechadon; just saying because I've seen various cases where bad configs or names produce errors or problems. I know DB's Doom config can be improved a bit as well (such as to not produce tutti frutti in Doom and Chocolate Doom with certain textures).

Neither is it necessarily CodeImp's fault; mappers and source port programmers should also help improve the editing CFGs for usability and accuracy.

Anyway, the easiest way to call it is "line type 271, an MBF feature which most updated and advanced source ports support".

I use risen3d to play my maps but i build them with regular doom2 configuration. So what you are saying is basicly that i must change map number for the sky to change?

I also wonder how i can put a sky texture in lets say a window so the player looks out the window and see the sky without having to add another room outside.

bullsquid said:

I use risen3d to play my maps but i build them with regular doom2 configuration. So what you are saying is basicly that i must change map number for the sky to change?

I also wonder how i can put a sky texture in lets say a window so the player looks out the window and see the sky without having to add another room outside.

I'm not knowledgeable on mapping for Risen3D so there may be a way to change the sky in that port without having to replace textures/use different map numbers outside of the map itself. Though mapping within the normal Doom format, the only way I know is the way that's already been described.

As for your second question, I don't think there's really a way to do that without having to make another sector next to the window sector. If you aren't going to have a full-blown room on the other side of the window, just make a sector next to the window sector, give both the floor and ceiling of that sector the F_SKY1 flat, and lower the ceiling to the floor (ceiling height = floor height). See if that's what your trying to achieve :D

@Myk: I can see how that lack of distinction of that particular action between Boom and other Boom-compatible ports could be confusing to people. That's just how I learned about it...as a Boom feature. It wasn't until later on that I learned that it wasn't supported nor introduced in Boom, but in MBF...yet it wouldn't cause any problems in Boom. So when trying to describe the feature, I just say 'Boom' instead of going into detail about how it actually isn't a Boom feature but it doesn't cause problems in Boom. I blame my laziness :P. In the future, though, I will make a point to call it a MBF feature so people won't get confused.

bullsquid said:

You can change the sky texture, which would make the sky look different on the whole level but it will also affect all the levels that sky is for. Skies are for levels 1-11 (SKY1), 12-20 (SKY2) and 21-32 (SKY3). As Creaphis noted, what you can't do (using regular Doom2 behavior, that is) is make levels in those groups use different skies from each other or use more than a single sky in any of these three level groupings.

For example, you could make levels 1-11 use the city sky normally seen in levels 12-20 by changing the texture with XWE, WinTex, DeepSea or another resource editing tool (not in Doom Builder itself), making SKY1 use the RSKY2 (smoking city) patch instead of the usual RSKY1 patch (brown sky). As Mechadon said you can also import a new graphic and use it this way (which will also affect the whole group of levels).

I'm also interested in what is discussed here. I tried to choose "Boom" as a configuration for my map in Doom Builder, but first I get the error "Could not find required lump PLAYPAL". Then, when I want to change a texture, DB crashes. What's going wrong?

Was there a second warning - "You have no IWAD file set for this configuration!"?
If so - you need to assign a default IWAD for Boom in "Configuration/Files"? Tip - use the IWAD you're mapping for.