Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
walligig

exotic monsters wad

hi, for the past month or so i have been working on a wad that allows you to play deathmatch as the monsters of doom. im sure this has been done a billion times consider this a billion and one. anyways i have decided to release it. in this mod u can play as all the monsters except for the Demon, Spectre and Zombies. i didnt see the point as they would just get owned by the bigger monsters. almost all cept the lost soul have weapon hud animations. what i mean by that as you see a baron arm come across ur screen when u throw plasma. or the mancubus sway his arms when u put up a wall of fireballs. i have had a server up with the mod for the past 2 days ( screenies of that below) but my computer is really crappy so my server lags........ alot. when it wasnt lagging most people that were in there said they liked it. so ima put it up for download, if u want to try it go for it. if you don't thats fine too.

EDIT: oh i probabley forgot to put this in the readme but this is mainly intended for Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and other competetive game types, in short it does not work well it Coop or invasion because when u try to switch classes after you die your class changes but your weapon does not. i have yet to figure out why this happens and therefor can't do anything about it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/194043/190000/fileinfo/Exoticmonsters3
EDIT: updated.
EDIT: link should be fixed now

screenies and these are all from multiplayer deathmatch

Mancubus eyeing down a hellknight
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/yakdude/DOOM0002.png

getting pounded by a arachnotron
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/yakdude/DOOM0004.png

about to get owned by a mini cyberdemon
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/yakdude/DOOM0005.png

standoff with a lost soul, im pretty sure i was a baron
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/yakdude/DOOM0006.png

Me a Mini Mastermind under attack by a painelemental
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/yakdude/DOOM0007.png

seems pretty cool. would be quite cool in multiplayer to have one guy as the doom marine and everyone else as a random selection of monsters trying to take him out. Would be a challenge.

Well done! The only thing I don’t like is the different color of the view out of the Cacodemon and the Pain Elemental... My favorite to play enemy is the Lost Soul.

Deeforce said:

The only thing I don’t like is the different color of the view out of the Cacodemon and the Pain Elemental

Ya im probabley gonna end up removing that anyways because it makes the cacodemon glow green and pain glow orange witch is not what i intended to happen. there a few other things that ive come across like the Mancubus fireballs dont glow like they should and the revenant lighting is backwards on his attacks. ill probabley replace the file with a fixed version sometime next week if not tommorrow.

and ya i like the lost soul as well. if someone gets alittle obnoxious with the mini_cyberdemon the lost soul can own him if played right.

I always thought of making something like this. I like. My only concern would be how balanced the gameplay is.

Patrick Pineda said:

My only concern would be how balanced the gameplay is.

I tried to balance everything as much as possible while keeping the basic characteristics of each demon intact. but im not gonna lie. some classes clearly overpower others in certain situations. its impossible to balance everything perfectly. at the same time you dont want a mancubus running as fast as an archvile or a baron to have the same amount of health as a cacodemon. infact after playing online for a week the only real balance issue that i see is in need of changing is the revenants refire rate needs to be slightly lowered. i might possibly raise the refire delay on the cyberdemons missile volleys,( i havent decided yet) but other then that i like everything the way it is.

I just updated it. different color views from caco and pain now removed and i added bots. i did a few otherstuff too but most of its in readme

I've seen several wads with similar idea (though mostly they were targeted on SP rather than DM). However, this wad is interesting. But still, I have to critisize a number of things and I'd like you to listen to these pieces of advice:

1) I'm sorry man, but your HUD sprites suck. And there are actually a lot of monster weapon HUD sprites, so you could look for some. I have seen better sprites for baron, revenant, arachnotron and mancubus and I think you could find and borrow them.
2) Could you explain why the hell did you include those crosshairs for Pain Elemental and especially this bulky thing for Cacodemon? This is absolutely pointless but it just prevents you from seeing what's in front of you.
3) What's that +EXPLODEONDEATH flag? I doubt it exists. I didn't find it in Wiki and my GZDoom didn't read it, so I removed it to play.
4) IMHO, your Revenant is too tall.
5) And please, keep 8 symbols limit for filename. This is a tradition. And to include dots in the filename is absolutely lame, there must be only one dot - between the filename and format.

What impressed me, BTW, is Lost Soul, yeah, it really IS interesting. However, you could make its attack more like original one using negative recoil function. Or include two attacks: charge forward and simply bite.

Ill comment on the last comment first. reguarding the lost soul i can't tell if that was sarcasm or not so i really don't know what to say. as for the charge attack. i don't really know how to do it. i am planning to look it up later but for now the lost soul serves its purpose.

As for the file name, ya im with you there. my brother said it sounded like a strip club. honostly i couldnt think of any better one. if you or anyone else can please hit me with it.

i have no clue what IHMO means but the revenant is suppose to be tall.

as for the flag can you please tell me where you found that so i can remove it.

the pain elemental is suppose to have that crosshair. i believe in the readme i called him the floating sniper or something like that. he needs it cause he is slow and dies my most monsters in 1 hit. I have been experiamenting however with the idea of him actully summoning real lost souls to assist u but so far those experiments have been complete failures. as for the Caco eye (its an eye not a crosshair) he was that last one i sprited so ya i did get lazy and just slap a green circle on there.

as for the sprites I like the baron, revenant, and arachnotron's the way they are, there not totally awsome but like i said on the lost soul they server there purpose. The Mancubus however if u could possibly remember were you saw that and point me there i would be most appriciative or however u spell that. at the time i made them i didnt have internet access and didnt want to try to draw them.

well that should do it thanks for critizism

Edit: and now alittle advice for you. when critizing dont start sentences with " can you explain to me why the hell" theres critisizing someone and then theres just plain trying to piss them off. and thats exactly what that sentence did

Hey, I played this on CTF mode, and was really fun. I'd like to suggest to use normal DOOM monster sprites, yet using SCALE to make them smaller without pixalating them. Also the coloration was odd, I think normal monster colors would be better.
More monster classes, including a normal Marine (that starts with pistol and can pick up items as always) would add to the variation.

yep i totally agree on monsters sprites. at the time when i tried using the normal sized baron, knight and vile i got an error saying "base sprite size is to big" but now i know a better way around that so next time i updated it expect a normal baron. knight and vile. the cyberdemon and mastermind on the otherhand will stay there current size as you don't really want something that big walking around with only 700 or 600 health. as for the doom marine and more monsters i did think about adding the demon and spectre but after that im done. no more monsters or atleast not from me. the only problem i have with the doom marine is that it will take too much attention away from the monsters

I was talking about using the scale factor. It changes the scale of the pixels, 1 is default size, anything over is bigger, and anything lower is smaller (like 0,8 for barons, and so on). Using this smaller monster don't look pixelated.

scaleing worked beutifully. thanks for the tip Vegeta. i pretty much scaled down almost everything atleast alittle. the arachnotron can fit thru alot more stuff now and dont get stuck near as ofter. same with manca. i ran into one slight problem with the cyberdemon though. i scale him down and i played a match with bots and he looked perfectly fine. however then i went to test it online with a few people and im not quite sure what happened. something go distorted and the cyberdemon looked like an anvil got droped on his head. he looked alot flatter then he should. mabey it was just a random bug that goes away after you restart the server. who knows but after i get that fixed and a few other things. i might put it up if i feel like it. im very very lazy that way :-)

EDIT: i figure out why that happened with the cyberdemon. it copys scales from class to class like it does colors.i guess ill just have to scale everything to the same scale

I think you'd not need to redo the sprites, just ask the classes to use DOOM 2 sprites, and add the scale factor to them (the classes, but not to the DOOM 2 monsters)

thats what i did and the the thing is the scales copy over when u switch classes. so if u are a demon witch i didnt do anything too. and u die and decide u wanna play a cyberdemon. you going to be a full sized cyberdemon because the scale is coping over from the demon to the cyberdemon much like the color does. the only solution to this problem that i can see is to scale all the classes to the same size.

Edit: Well i finished resizing and everything looks fantastic but i wont replace link until tommorrow, at least ill have some time to make sure any bugs didn't slip by

File is now updated with final version. im done editing this file now i just want to sit back and actully play it.