Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric Vaughn

Multiplayer CTF?

Hi there,

I'm currently wondering if people still play Doom CTF online. If so, what's the most popular way of playing? Skulltag? ZDoom? I'm currently making some CTF maps so I'm wondering what the most popular method of playing is so I can create the right type of maps.

Cheers.

Skulltag seems to be pretty popular these days. If you use the Boom CTF standard, though, you can make CTF maps that are compatible with all three multiplayer-focused ports: Skulltag, ZDaemon, and Odamex.

yeah, you have to start over. just copy and paste the map into a boom format map, and fix the linedef actions so it is compatible with boom.

Alright, now what objects do I need to put in for CTF to work? I'm thinking spawn points and flags is all I need really. I can't find them in Doom Builder. Do I have to add them or do they just have a certain number tag?

Ok, I've thrown them in but now there are no flag objects or anything actually showing up in the game, just question mark symbols or something. Do I need a certain wad to test this with or need to put some command line parameters in when I am testing the map?

Eric Vaughn said:

Ok, I've thrown them in but now there are no flag objects or anything actually showing up in the game, just question mark symbols or something. Do I need a certain wad to test this with or need to put some command line parameters in when I am testing the map?

What sourceport are you testing it in? Try Skulltag, ZDaemon, or Odamex. I'm pretty sure ZDoom doesn't recognize the flag things.

Eric Vaughn said:

A <?> means that the engine has no idea what the item you placed is. There are two possibilities here.

1. You used the wrong configuration. I personally use Boom map format mode until I need to place the flags and player starts, then I load the map in Skulltag's Doom(game) in Doom(map format) mode to place the flags.

2. You used the wrong source port when testing the map. ZDoom and GZDoom do NOT support native CTF play, only Skulltag, ZDaemon and Odamex do.

Speaking of the CTF Standard, has one been agreed yet for the other DOOM engine games, Heretic, Hexen and Strife?

The last big release of skulltag has full heretic, hexen, and strife support. Whether or not there are any reasonable DM, or CTF mappacks is beyond me.

There's a Hexen CTF project in progress (or not) and then there's Pathoris DM/CTF. I haven't heard any updates about Pathoris though...and I was really looking forward to it. There used to be a simple Heretic CTF map that was made for testing, but I have no idea where it's at now.

Recently someone started a Strife DM project. The guy had already released some Strife DM maps and he decided to start a project. If anyone is interested here you should think about making a contribution.

Anyways, that's all of the most recent Heretic/Hexen/Stife project stuff related to Skulltag that I can remember.