Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Chasm: The Rift - need help

Hi.

I'm playing this game... and i find it quite good. Really. Am i crazy? Perhaps.

I'm still playing wolf3d too.

However, i can't find a way to kill the boss at the end of the second episode (level 8); it's something like a dog moving only on its arms.

No idea?

I don't remember any other boss than the last one requiring a special approach. Of course the last time I've played it was almost 10 years ago.

Edit: PROTIP: The game tells you to destroy the sphinx statue.

Lorenzo said:

However, i can't find a way to kill the boss at the end of the second episode (level 8); it's something like a dog moving only on its arms.

The one that comes out of the Sphynx in Egypt? IIRC you have to lure it onto the lava that's in that region and it gets fried.

All the bosses in that game are trick kills like that.

Heh, that's arguable. I found the engine very interesting though. It was 3d, but... not at the same time cause all the maps were practically as flat as the Wolf3d maps.

EDIT did some checking, and the company that made it still exist. Their last release was in 2005, a game called "Vivisection". Apparently it's inspired by the "Island of Dr Moreau". (downloading demo right now)

Oh right, and at least half the team are named, Alexander, Alexey or Andrey.
http://www.action-forms.com/

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a bunch of Olegs too. And one of the owner's names are Igor.

Note that the game instructs you to destroy the "Sphinx statue" as Belial said, and not the creature. Focus all of your attacks on the rest of the statue, then get the hell out, as the level self destructs after destroying the statue.

I had forgotten about this game. It's been awhile since I played it and I don't think I ever finished the thing. I should try a replay sometime soon.

Belial said:

Haha Vivisector, that game was insane.

Severely schizophrenic, too. The first third or so was like Serious Sam, then the rest was like Half-Life meets Duke Nukem 3D.

I liked Chasm back when I first got it, but I never got past the 5th map because my savegames would keep corrupting and I got sick of having to restart. I don't think they ever released a fix for that.

I remember beating that game. It shipped with the level editor, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it.

The engine really baffled me as well. I remember at least one level had a deep chasm (heh) you had to cross, but it was probably just a rendering hack because the rest of the levels were more like ROTT (except with polygonal models as extra geometry instead of sprites).

The enemies were a mess, too. Wasn't one of the most common enemies a jester?

Danarchy said:

Chasm: the Rift is as awesome a name as Manos: The Hands of Fate

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the Master is away

Danarchy said:

Chasm: the Rift is as awesome a name as Manos: The Hands of Fate

This inspired me to find that episode of MST3K and watch it, which I just now completed. For that experience, I thank you.

I first began using the Internet in 1998, and I believe that within a year or so I downloaded the Chasm demo. Man, that was an obscure FPS!

But I never understood the 3D/not 3D engine. Could someone explain that? I know that Doom can work in a similar way (with source ports such as Doomsday or Risen 3D), with 3D models existing in a geometrically restrictive environment, but screenshots I've looked up of Chasm seem to suggest fully 3D environments. The only hypothesis I've come up with, is that some of the level design is actually elaborate 3D models.

They are models. When you shoot the walls bullet marks appear, but not if you shoot a chair or the like. For lifts, it uses hubs. The non-3D aspect of the levels also allows an automap.

The data file for the game can be opened by XWE, although it can only identify some files (such as graphics, sounds and some text data).

myk said:

The non-3D aspect of the levels also allows an automap.

I miss the automap in many 3D games. Annoyingly, 3D games could also have an automap (in fact some do) and it could be done well and be a useful addition to the game - if the game devs could be bothered/ considered it worthwhile.

Oh man I loved Chasm. It was one of the first FPSers I really enjoyed besides Doom, especially the Egyptian stages. Too bad I lost the CD a long time ago >:/

Snarboo said:

Note that the game instructs you to destroy the "Sphinx statue" as Belial said, and not the creature. Focus all of your attacks on the rest of the statue, then get the hell out, as the level self destructs after destroying the statue.

Ok, so i destroy the sphinx, but i cannot return near the lava as the door is closed... a bug?

L.

myk said:

They are models. When you shoot the walls bullet marks appear, but not if you shoot a chair or the like. For lifts, it uses hubs. The non-3D aspect of the levels also allows an automap.

Expanding on this, based on what I've read, the supplied level editor and having played the game numerous times, the engine is actually a "2.5D" engine.

Levels are limited to a certain height and there is no height variation, like in Wolf 3D, but the engine allows for non-orthogonal walls, 3D models, wall decals, dynamic lighting and moving geometry in addition to scripting for more interesting behaviour and cutscenes between levels.

Models are used for enemies, weapons and scenery. Some models can be destroyed, particularly the monsters, which can have their limbs removed if shot in the right place. This doesn't appear to be dynamic, however, but rather an effect on the models themselves. I am not sure if a transparent texture is applied to the model in the right place or if the game switches a monster or item to a seperate "destroyed" model. 3D models also feature frame interpolation that is better than Quake 2's, as you will notice the models move smoothly and do not "wobble" like MD2s do.

The level designers were able to overcome limitations in the level format by using 3D models. This allowed for height variation in the levels. Anytime you see a large pit or tall canyon, it is really window dressing, as models are used to render outside of the levels limits. This is most noticeable in the Sphinx boss level. Room-over-room is not possible, but it is possible to fake the effect using models. Some models can not be walked under, however.

The lighting system is based on a point source system rather than using sector lighting, at least that's how it works in the editor. Speaking of which, I do not believe the editor supplied with the game is the full version used by the development team. It is missing many textures and scenary items.

Levels are made by placing lines on a grid. Floors and ceilings are literally 64x64 (I think?) tiles placed on the grid. I imagine a void appears if there is a missing tile on the floor. Moving geometry is handled outside of the editor by creating a text-file with the proper coordinates of the geometry you wish to move. Lighting is placed inside the level using point sources. I have no clue how skies work in the game, nor have I been able to test out any levels I have made. Some of this is slightly off, as it has been years since I've touched the editor.

The rendering system is beyond me.

Most of this conjecture based on what I've seen from the game. I'm sure if someone reverse engineered it, it would be possible to figure out how it works.

A point source is a light that consists of a point that casts a light in a circle or sphere. That's the best term I could come up with for Chasm's light effects, anyway. All I know is that you place a point and then set the radius of the light in Chasm's editor.

Lighting seems to be dynamic, given that you can turn the lights on or off with a switch or by shooting a light source. It varies from level to level.

I did it !

I had to destroy the Sphinx completly, as when the monster comes out it's not completely broken.

Now i'm on level 12, but no boss yet.

This is a sadic game: you start the level with a enemy behind you... nad here and there there are stupid traps...

Game engine is nice, not as Quake, but better then Wolf3D..

L.