Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Red Alert 3........sight.....

I just got a chance to play Red Alert 3 today, and i am afraid that EA has yet again succeeded in taking another good and a famous gaming francaise and turned it into something that looks and feels almost nothing like the games previous installments that were not made by EA.

Don't get me wrong, i don't think Red Alert 3 is a "bad" game at all in that sense, but the look, the theme, and the unit models look very different from Red Alert 2. The soviet heavy tanks (the one with the two barrels) looked awesome in Red Alert 2, but now it just looks like a frog like moving brick!

Ahhhhhhhh! And THEN there's the gameplay! In Red Alert 2, buildings and and units took some time to be destroyed, so effort and powerful units were needed to take them down, and units could also take a beating before being destroyed.

But in Red Alert 3 buildings can take about as much beating as a toothpick and the units die very easily, thus making Red Alert 3 one of those games were individual unit's are not really worth keeping alive most of the time since they are easily destroyed and the player that is the best at making fast decisions while knowing how to produce units the fastest wins.

I played the game for about 2 hours, then i just gave up, Red Alert 2 is one those few games that i really did play ALLOT! But Red Alert 3 reminds me nothing of Red Alert 2 besides the new Hell March song and the soviet attack blimps.

And of course the PC version has secrom and DRM on it and limits you to just 5 installs! there is always the Xbox 360 and PS3 version but who want's to play a RTS game on that besides a handful of console tards that hate the PC?

I pretty much agree with all the points you brought up about this game. Yeah, the Apocalypse tank does look pretty dumb. Also, I don't see why EA has to limit the game to 5 installs. That's absolute crap. No other game does that nonsense and they are all fine.

I played a lot of Red Alert 2 way back when, but I still play a lot of Yuri's Revenge because, IMO, it's much better than RA2.

These days, when ever I see a game that I would like to try, I find the EA symbol in the corner of the case. This just turns me off.

Dreadopp said...
Also, I don't see why EA has to limit the game to 5 installs. That's absolute crap. No other game does that nonsense and they are all fine.

It basically encourages pirating.

I'd like to try the game but I understand where you are coming from by saying this. I still think they should have brought Yuri back for round 3.

Meh, this was looking pretty cool I think. It's definitely quite a lot better looking than CnC3. Also Frank Klepacki songs. I was looking foward to it.

TOO BAD I'LL NEVER BUY IT THANKS TO SECUROM.

EA did Timesplitters 3 but not the other two, correct? From what I played, TS3 sucked in comparison to the originals, but I guess I didn't get to play it much.

Tango said:

EA did Timesplitters 3 but not the other two, correct? From what I played, TS3 sucked in comparison to the originals, but I guess I didn't get to play it much.

Free Radical made all the Timesplitters games. EA simply published the 3rd one.

SecuROM, 5 installs and a sucky sequel - that box cover might be the games only redeeming feature.

hardcore_gamer said:

I just got a chance to play Red Alert 3 today, and i am afraid that EA has yet again succeeded in taking another good and a famous gaming francaise and turned it into something that looks and feels almost nothing like the games previous installments that were not made by EA.

some news for you

EA made Red Alert 2

Red Alert 2 is also drastically different and cartoonier than its also ridiculous predecessor

All good points, BUT...

Red Alert 2 looks and plays very differently to Red Alert 1, too. In fact, I would say there's more similiary between 2 and 3, than there is between 1 and 2.

EDIT: Just noticed leileilol said the same thing, although I personally didn't find the original to be "ridiculous"; it was just a more colourful and camper version of Command & Conquer 1, really.

Also, RA 2 *wasn't* made by EA, it was only published by them. It was created by Westwood Pacific, a developer managed by the main Westwood Studios. Several Westwood Studios staff who had worked on the first RA worked with Westwood Pacific on the second one, including Brett Sperry (who co-created both the C&C and Red Alert franchises, and was one of the founders of Westwood Studios), Mike Lightner, and (of course) Frank Klepacki.

Incidentally, quite a few people who worked on RA 2 worked on RA 3, as well.

Anyway, I've just completed the Soviet campaign and found it pretty cool. I know the Red Alert games are supposed to be cheesy, but a few things I found *too* cheesy, especially the Bullfrog's "unique" ejection system.

I didn't get much time to play the first mission of the Allied campaign, but I have to say the overhead map is a pretty damned accurate recreation of Brighton (the grapical style of the roads and buildings not so much); you can even see the building where my brother lives in the bottom left-hand corner :).

caco_killer said:

Free Radical made all the Timesplitters games. EA simply published the 3rd one.

Correct. (: I liked it, personally, and it's my personal favorite of the three TimeSplitters games. I still don't get why some people knock it. \:

Also, kinda related to EA, but it looks like their stocks are doing poor, that and Disney is looking into buying them out, as there are talks of a takeover.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6200555.html

Am I the only one seeing the irony in this, or is it just me? Or maybe I'm reading into it incorrectly.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but since id is going with EA as a publisher, would that mean that EA could end up using SecuROM on Rage, Doom 4, and other future id titles, or will that be id's call to make?

Nems said:

but since id is going with EA as a publisher, would that mean that EA could end up using SecuROM on Rage, Doom 4, and other future id titles, or will that be id's call to make?

There is nothing that say's Id WILL go with EA, i think i read it somewere that Id MIGHT go with EA or some other company witch name i don't remember.

And even if Id does decide to go with EA, i don't think John is stupid enough to allow DRM and secrom in his games considering all of the crying about DRM that has been going on. But in case that does happen, then will never EVER by anything from EA again! Not anything for the PC or the consoles!

Nems said:

Also, kinda related to EA, but it looks like their stocks are doing poor, that and Disney is looking into buying them out, as there are talks of a takeover.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6200555.html

Am I the only one seeing the irony in this, or is it just me? Or maybe I'm reading into it incorrectly.

If EA decides to publish Doom 4 and EA is taken over by Disney........does that mean that Doom 4 will have "all rights go to the Walt Disney company" on the back of it's retail case WTF!!!

Also did that article you linked to claim that a movie is going to be made after The Sims? A MAJOR WTF!!!!!

Don't give up - download some emulators and go retro. There's enough 8 & 16 bit games to keep you occupied for a couple of lifetimes.

I'm pretty sure its only Rage that is being published by EA. There's even an article (too lazy to link) where id discusses the purpose of having different publishers for different games.

GreyGhost said:

Don't give up - download some emulators and go retro. There's enough 8 & 16 bit games to keep you occupied for a couple of lifetimes.

Don't forget indie and freeware. Oh, and 3rd party mods, of course :).

Is there a command & conquer (original, tiberian sun) community similar to doomworld where maybe they have free map editors and user created levels etc?

I'd love to play 'hell revealed' difficulty command and conquer levels.