Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK, so this is my first WAD for Doom 2. Let me know what you think.

*edit*

I just noticed the file I linked to when I originally posted this was the buggy version. This one is fixed a little bit.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k220if

I'll have some screen shots up in a minute.

*edit2*

As requested, here are the screen shots.

First of all change LVL01 to MAP01, if you want more ports than zdoom to play this. Also fix up all those unclosed sectors.

chronoplasm said:

Any tips for closing sectors? I always run into that problem but I always have such a hard time fixing it.

I'll give an example ...

Highlight sector 84 . You will notice that lines 430, 429, 434 and 435 are not highlighted, but should be. This is because their front sidedefs are referencing sector 81 instead of 84. Just highlight the line, right click and seclect sidedefs tab, and change Front Side Sector 81 to 84. Rebuild nodes and save.

Note too, that many linedefs are superimposed by others. This can also cause problems. E.g. line 404 superimposes line 112. And line 404 has unstitched vertices on it.

Sectors 11 & 14 overlap at the South switch, 9 & 21 at the North switch. Some rising floors have no lower textures. Doortracks need unpegging. The chaingunners guarding the Blue key are too close together and the knight has no space to move.

I like where you're heading with this - it just needs a bit more work.

Cool. Thanks.

Any comments on game balance or the layout of the place? Other than the chain gunners being too close and the knight being unable to move, are the enemies positioned okay? Is the item spread alright?
Is the map too small?
How about the lighting? Is it too dark?

I got some texture errors in places but that might be since im using risen3d. (i had to open map in doom builder and edit map number, should be MAP01 not LVL01)

Very small, feels a bit cramped. Try extending the level, adding more rooms etc. and replace hell knight with a smaller monster or make the room bigger.
Im my opinion its better to build a bigger level then super small but i guess its ok for a first level. I've seen so much worse and my first map were far from perfect.

Also one of the rooms i fell into a pit with damaging floor and there was no way to get out since i didn't push the switch twice first. Maybe u should change the texture there to lava and maybe add some way to get out and make the switch rise the floor in one try, i dont know. just what i noticed.

I was just thinking of redoing this map all over from scratch, to make the place bigger, but now I'm thinking I might try my hand at teleporters as a way to expand this place. Each of those little rooms would contain a teleporter to take you to larger rooms that I will be adding. Does that sound like a good solution?

In addition, I will fix all of those problems you guys brought up. Thanks. :)

This map is ok for a very first try. Maybe you can use this map as a test-map, where you include all the things like teleporters and lifts, so that you know how to do this. After it try to create one “fun to play“ level. Good luck :-P ! We need more Doom mappers for the future.